Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 15 June 2014
This is a good book but perhaps slightly misleading, or even miss-sold as a 'crime' or a 'thriller'.

The blurb on the back, and general marketing of it, makes it sound like a detective style drama, with the opening of our schoolboy hero discovering a body while out on a run on the 'Red Road' that runs from his boarding school.

However, as you get further into the book, this murder tends to be pushed further and further into the background. It does pop up from time to time, as the characters talk about it, but there's no investigation going on.

That said, this is still an enjoyable book, with a realistic - or realistic sounding - depiction of a boy's life at boarding school with the highs and lows that entails. Great depictions of friendship with peers, and the various things boys of that age will get up to, along with the general growing disenchantment with adults, both parents and teachers.

So, basically, if you are looking for an entertaining, often humorous, coming-of-age tale then this is for you. But if you want a crime thriller, then perhaps skip to something else.
on 19 February 2013
Pointless book. A story of the stress of sitting exams and wondering what to do with your life, with a murder (barely covered) thrown in and then the story teller was too upset to discuss it so it was not mentioned again. Not sure why the writer felt it was worth publishing...
on 30 July 2013
Very enticing story line and a very enjoyable read. Not sure if short book or just so good I couldn't put it down. The ending was not expected; a delightful change.
on 24 December 2012
After reading the authors previous books in the battle for the solar system I thought I would give this a try even though its not my favourite genre, I found out I throughly enjoyed the book and connecting with Joe , it made me smile and laugh with some of the antics that the 16year old boys would get upto reminding me of misspent youth,
on 2 July 2014
I was slightly apprehensive when I downloaded this as a Kindle e-book. My normal genre preference is Science Fiction, however as I have read a number of other books by the author I decided to give it a go.

It is described on Amazon as a thriller, which whilst there are elements of this doesn't adequately describe it. It is more a book about coming of age, with some thrills, chills, mystery and intrigue thrown in - but that doesn't making it boring, not by a long way. Anyone who has attended a school and grown up (some haven't) will recognise a strong familiarity with the lead character in terms of what he goes through at school, particularly if you are male, and you may even find your mind wandering down memory lane, or a few unpleasant corridors.

Despite my apprehension I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Red Road' and found it almost un-put-downable.

Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2013
This started off well with the murder but it seemed to lose its way and I found it more about the angst of a boys' teenage years than a murder mystery. I just feel that the author lost his way somewhat
on 1 December 2013
As I had never read anything by this author I was pleasantly surprised.in a boarding school.where the murders happened. A rare change in a crime.where there was a good story. Dec recommend this book for light reading.
on 22 December 2012
Never quite sure where this story is going until near the end - it twists and turns nicely leaving you guessing whodunit - and why.
on 21 January 2013
Brilliant. Great book keeps you interested all the way through would recommend to everyone who enjoys a good mystery/horror book.
on 16 November 2014
Nice read enjoyed it note something I usually read but found it very good.