The Rainmaker
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2017
I read this book on holiday and loved it. I love the main character and was hooked on the many storylines throughout, especially liking his sidekick Deck. There are lots of twists and courtroom drama, one of his best books.

I started watching the film but they glossed over so much I found it boring, best stick.with the book. It is quite a long read but I thourighily enjoyed it and finished it in a few days.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2018
I really enjoyed this book. I love the way Grisham describes the way his characters build their cases and this one was excellent too. The courtroom battle is when the book really gets riveting though. It's just so easy to be put in that room with Rudy the newly qualified rookie lawyer, as he goes on the offensive against Drummond, a highly successful courtroom veteran that represents a vile insurance company whose greed cost a young man his life when they wrongly refused to pay for treatment for one of their clients
on 14 April 2018
Another clever story in the court room and beyond. The drama is well set and it is believable scenario. The young lawyer is out to make his way, and you follow the trials that he goes through to become a lawyer and then the cases that he takes on. His own private life is also wound around the job. However so as not to say too much, the ending I felt was a weak one and could have finished in a far better way and ,left to run for another book......
on 3 October 2016
On of my favourite authors.. I love his cynicism.. his Irreverent and occasionally dark humour. This novel is another perfect example of this author's skill to engage the reader right from the first page. His characterisations are perfectly pitched and believable. Lots of pompous egos ruthlessly dispatched - great fun! As with a number of Grisham's novels, the plot slowly builds but that's not a problem as the characters he deftly introduces new characters and twists and turns, that keep the reader fully committed. Loved it!
One person found this helpful
on 27 May 2018
A fantastic Grisham classic. I’ve read many of Grisham’s books including a time to kill, pelican brief, the firm and rogue lawyer, and this is right up there with the best of them. I personally love his writing style - Grisham has an amazing talent for making you feel like you there as a fly on the wall watching these incredible events unfold. The rainmaker is an amazing story of corporate greed, and the ultimate underdog story from a young unqualified lawyer who stumbles across the case which has amazing twists and turns throughout. A Grisham classic.
on 15 November 2014
John Grisham is always a good read, and this was one of his better books. As always, very well written. I loved the characters and the way in which Grisham gave us insight and interest in each one. This is so often missing with other authors. I like to be interested in the people that I am reading about, especially the leading character. In this instance, Rudy was both believable and likeable. Perhaps the plot lost its way a bit towards the end and one or two tie-ups seemed a bit rushed. The love-interest was a sideline throughout the novel, but then became key at the end - a little bit annoying. However, I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who loves a really good legal drama and likes to get fully involved in a story.
One person found this helpful
on 15 March 2018
Classic Grisham. A legal page turner complete with courtroom drama and well explained law issues. A David and Goliath novel that has the reader backing the little guy against the big guns. Perfect literary pallet cleanser after I read a dense Booker winner. As a UK reader it also had me thanking my lucky stars for the NHS.
on 3 December 2015
I have read a number of John Grisham's books and this one more than just gave me the Grisham hit I was looking for!!
I never wanted the book to end as I really felt as though I'd got to know Ruby Baylor, the newly qualified lawyer, well and when the book finished I just knew I'm going to miss his adventures. I'm hoping for a sequel like Grisham did with a Time to kill.
Haha which makes that the next Grisham I'm going to read on my Kindle. "Sycamore Row" so I can catch up with Jake Brigance and fill the void.
on 17 May 2013
This is a book I re-read once in a while and still enjoy. The central character is a young law student about to graduate. Promised a good job with a big law firm, he is then told he is surplus to requirements after a merger. All other available positions are filled and he is left with no choice but to accept a job with a law firm, the boss of which is a very dodgy customer who seems to be a law onto himself!
The characters are many and varied from the desperately ill Donny-Ray to the abusive washed out college team ball- player whose young wife finally decides she can't take any more and files for divorce. There is an elderly lady seemingly abandoned by her family until they discover she may be very, very rich and more characters with their own problems woven into the story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 February 2011
I really enjoyed this e-book. A gripping story with some wonderful moments in the court-room scenes where corporate big business were shown up to be liars and cheats. Fat-cat lawyers don't come out of the book smelling of roses either! It's book rich with side stories that add to the pleasure. The central character, Rudy Baylor, is an impecunious young lawyer just starting out in his career. He's mainly a good guy fighting for the underdog. As his first case he gets embroiled in a massive law-suit against a dodgy insurance company who have repeatedly refused to pay for life-saving medical treatment for the son of one of their policy-holders. The book has many humorous moments but also exposes the fate of many poor Americans in a country without a national health service and the power of big business aided by their lawyers.
A book that made me think, but also made me laugh.
2 people found this helpful