Customer reviews

on 17 January 2018
A wonderful collection of raw sometimes tender and gutsy poetry
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 February 2014
I love this book, it is aimed at men in general and the phases they go through in life, that are hardly ever acknowledged in the secular society we live in, by that I mean times like changing from a boy to a man, relationships, Fatherhood, getting older, wiser and hopefully more mature with age. recognising these changes and how they affect men in general.
on 10 February 2012
The Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart contains a very rich wide ranging sweep of poetry. On a two week trip to Bangladesh working for the Hunger Project I took only this book and read it from cover. If you are looking for some old favourites, new favourites or you are relatively new to poetry it is the book to read.

Mick Crews
on 3 April 2005
This is my favourite anthology of (mainly contemporary) poems. It is the least predictable, best edited and most potent collection of poems to live with and keep beside one.
It includes Rilke`s shattering `Archaic Torso of Apollo` and also his poem about `a church in the East` which is hardly less heartstopping; and the wonderful poem by Robert Hayden about his father. There are marvellous things from Alden Nowlen, Galway Kinnell, James Wright.There is a gratifying number of Latin American & Spanish poems here, as well as the great Tomas Transtromer.
It introduced me to several American poets I might have missed, and it is not afraid to include favourites by, for example, Robert Frost.
This is billed as a book of poetry for men - and why not? - but, as the editors point out - it can and should be just as available to women readers.
Some books one loves, and can`t imagine being without. This is one. It is something of a scandal that it has not been available in my country for years - except in certain specialist, usually `New Age`, bookshops - which in itself is a shame, as this endlessly inspiring anthology goes way beyond New - or indeed Old - Age.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 August 2013
Anthologies are difficult to review in some ways. Worse than poetry collections by one poet, there is no consistency of style, or person writing. Yet it often can be interesting to see a range of poems. by different writers put together.

Before considering the poems a few words, about the sub-title "Poems for Men" which always causes comment in my experience. In some ways this is the only place where this anthology lets down. Yet as the editors also explain in the introduction, this is not meant to exclude women. There are poems by women poets inside including Sharon Olds, Emily Dickinson and Anna Akhmatova). The sub-title comes from the fact that they were poems used while facilitating at various "men's movement" workshops. Certainly the contents have much for anyone regardless of gender will enjoy. I have given this anthology to women who have enjoyed it.

Once getting past that, this anthology is one of the liveliest I have come across. The poems are arranged in various themes connected with around challenges in life such as suffering, death, fatherhood with essays by one of the editors. There are also maxims form the likes of Goethe, Heraclitus and Pythagoras. Poems from Ancient Greece, India, Persia, Latin America as well as from contemporary and modern English Language poets, There are translations of poets like Pablo Neruda, Antonio Machado, and Rilke many from Bly who must be one of the most prolific translators of poetry from many cultures. There is a lot of life between these pages. Along with Hughes and Heaney's The Rattle Bag: An Anthology of Poetry this is my favourite anthology of all: a book to have by the bedside that will last a lifetime.
on 23 June 1998
I carry this book with me everywhere I go -- it has something for everyone, and for every situation. A relative newcomer to the joys of poetry, this collection, with the interesting groupings and introductions, is splendid
on 1 August 1998
I read from this collection of poems on a regular basis. Insightful editing, wonderful translations, and meaningful introductions are what set this book apart from other collections. I strongly recommend this book to all who have a love of poetry and seek a deeper connection with themselves and the world around them.
on 1 August 2013
I love the way I can keep dipping into this book - always finding something relevant and thought provoking. This is my third copy - as I keep giving it away to friends.
on 19 November 2013
following the glowing reviews I bought this book for my adult son but was not overly wowed or impressed by the selection. A bit disappointed in truth.
on 27 August 1998
I read aloud from this book daily. Connect with the power of your creative self. One of the best, if not THE best, book of men's poetry I have found.