The Racketeer
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2017
Not at all sure about this book. It's written in the first person in the Name of Malcolm Bannister, a Virginia lawyer (of course) who is stitched up by the Feds and given a 10 year custodial sentence for something he claims he didn't do. The story starts with Bannister in prison and builds up his character in order to get the reader's sympathy for his situation but as the story unravels it becomes obvious that our Malcolm is even more devious than the authorities. I'm not going to give out any spoilers but the plot centres around the murder of a Federal Judge and his girlfriend and how Bannister tries to use the crime to get himself pardoned and end up a rich man in the process. It's a neatly put together story but is prone to ramble in places and become a little too convoluted. As morality tales go it's a bit of a failure but a great vehicle to bash the FBI and Federal justice system. An enjoyable romp but unusually lightweight for Grisham.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 June 2016
Paid full price for this so no freebie, I do not give praise easily so all you get is a truthful review with the good the bad and the ugly. The item supplied to me was delivered fairly quickly. The CD's are in soft cardboard which will not give much long term protection unless handled delicately. The story is the worst that I have ever encountered. If this was the first Grisham book I had encountered I would not be bothered to encounter another. A poor boring story. I WOULD NOT BUY THIS AGAIN.
on 2 November 2017
Somehow, I had low expectations of this given the baseball link, but I was hooked from the start. Grisham gives a simple explanation about baseball at the start and this turns out to be an excellent insight for the reader to refer to. Its a really believable book which at times reads like a biography but you get to know the characters. Grisham paints a really good picture around the story which draws and keep you in. Different from his legal thrillers but a worthy read.
on 13 August 2017
Malcom Bannister is a convicted criminal with knowledge that the FBI want. The Racketeer contains less of Grisham's signature legal descriptions and courtroom scenes but that's fine. The story moves along at a pace, and you never get bored.
Although I found the story a touch predictable (partly due to the pace of the first third), this is a really well crafted, and you really get a feel for the lead character - especially as some of the book is written in first person from Bannisters pov. Well worth a read, especially if you like Grisham
on 11 April 2017
A complete departure from the author's usual subject matter. Not being very knowledgeable about Baseball I now feel more grounded in the sport and am looking forward to attending a game when I next visit my sister in Toronto. The story line touched me as I could identify somewhat with one of the main characters. I looked forward to reading the book each evening and am grateful for the author's continued output.
on 23 September 2017
Only read one of Grishams before now ( the firm ). And while I enjoyed the firm immensely, I feel this one is better.
The firm slowly ( but only slightly),declined as it went on in my opinion.
Where as this one is solidly good throughout its entirety.
The storyline is excellent and the characters , while few , are interesting and well described.
I personally usually prefer fantasy and sword and sorcery type books.
But like to read a thriller by Grisham or King now and again to keep things fresh.
All round a solid book that I enjoyed and would happily recommend to a friend.
on 21 August 2017
John Grisham takes a complete novice into the exciting world of Baseball and invites you to explore it's interesting characters in a gripping and moving read. It's an incredible story that exposes the ugliness of our human hearts, the sometimes monumental consequences of our actions and the peace that comes through forgiveness and restoration. It reveals the power and wonder of true forgiveness between fellow human beings but also highlights the tragedy of unnecessary wasted years of broken relationships. It will educate, thrill, grip and move you as you quickly turn from one page to the next. As the story came to a close I couldn't help but think about the greater forgiveness and restoration we all need in this life and beyond. Outstanding!
on 10 June 2017
I enjoyed the book, but there was far too much detail about baseball in it. My own fault - I should've realised when there was a whole section at the beginning explaining the rules in depth - which I skipped by the way!!! His characterisation is still good, I loved the newspaperman, Clarence!
Grisham is still a good read no matter what he writes, but I didn't feel the need to carry on till the end in one sitting - which I have done with his other books, I suppose I just prefer his law books. Although saying that, I really enjoyed 'Playing for Pizza' which was about an American footballer.
on 12 November 2017
Very fast moving, very clever plot and very enjoyable. No bad language or violence so would recommend to both male and female readers. A very intriguing tale, with a likeable crooked rogue as the main character.
on 20 September 2014
I HAVE READ ALMOST EVERY BOOK WRITTEN BY JOHN GRISHAM -- BUT THIS ONE IS THE BEST SO FAR. I WAS TOTALLY CAUGHT OUT BY THE ENDING -- DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING !

A MUST FOR ALL JOHN GRISHAM FANS -- BUT A GOOD ONE TO START WITH FOR READERS WHO HAVE NOT READ ANY OF HIS PREVIOUS BOOKS ---- SURELY THERE CAN'T BE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS NOT READ THIS BRILLIANT AUTHOR YET -- SO GET STARTED -- YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN MISSING !
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse