on 18 December 2001
I first came across Kahlil Gibran when I found an extract from The Prophet in an anthology about friendship. The Prophet's description of friendship epitomises the strength and comfort one finds in a true and close friend and evokes the ambiance of such a relationship - warmth, sustanence, cherished time etc.
I instantly fell in love with Gibran's writing, and so was thrilled to find there was more. The Prophet's poetic descriptions of all aspects of life have been a joy and inspiration. I have often found just the right phrase or sentiment to capture a particular moment in my life and in the lives of people I love and admire.
I have owned several copies of The Prophet, but somehow always find someone I want to give it away to - it is the kind of book that I feel brings a blessing on anyone who takes time to look at life through the unique lens Gibran offers.
on 12 February 2000
I first read this book at the age of 17, when trying to find a thought-provoking text for a school assembly. Not only did I find a relevant text, but I was drawn to read the rest of this amazing book. I bought my own copy a year later and have since bought more copies for family and friends. When I got married 18 months ago, my husband and I were able to turn to a passage from this book for a very special reading.
The book is written as a series of passages; the format is that of a "Prophet" answering questions on life. The book does not specifically refer to any religion but is extremely spiritual in nature. The passages give words of wisdom on all subjects from houses to children, from love to work, from trading to marriage. It is the sort of book that you can dip into at any time to find a thought for any situation. The passages are short but profound and leave your vision of this world (and the hereafter) subtly enriched.
I would recommend everyone to read this book.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2005
MY LITTLE EDITION OF THE PROPHET WAS GIVEN TO MY HUSBAND AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT MANY YEARS AGO. WE READ IT TOGETHER IN BED AT NIGHT TILL IT WAS FINISHED. HIS FAVORITE PART WAS "ON CHILDREN". MY HUSBAND DIED LAST YEAR, AND WE READ HIS FAVORITE PASSAGE AT HIS FUNERAL, TO HIS CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN. DURING MY GRIEVING, I BEGAN TO RE-READ THE ENTIRE BOOK....ON LOVE, MARRIAGE, GIVING, PAIN AND SORROW, AND SO ON AND SO ON....AND FINALLY, I GOT IT! IT IS THE ONE BOOK I READ DAILY BESIDES THE BIBLE. I EVEN READ IT OUT LOUD TO MY HUSBAND, IN HOPES THAT HE WILL HEAR THE WORD AND MY VOICE AND THE TIMELESS MEANING OF THE CONTENTS. IT WILL BE AT MY CHAIRSIDE ALWAYS, AND I HAVE JUST PURCHASED ANOTHER COPY FOR A FRIEND WHO HAS LOST HIS WIFE. IT HAS BEEN A GREAT COMFORT TO ME FOR A YEAR NOW.
on 30 November 2002
This is one of the first (literary) books I recall reading. My mother kept a collection of Gibran's works that she often read. I was curious to see what attracted her, so I looked into them too ( I was either eight or nine at the time). I believe that was my first taste of spirituality and seemed at the time more relevant than what I was being force-fed by nuns in catechism class. Rereading Gibran now, I'm struck by the notion that Hesse must have been aware of these texts before he wrote Siddhartha. They contain many of the same themes: No one else can guide you on your path. You must select your own course. Preachers and prophets are a dime a dozen. True wisdom comes from within.
The prophet's teaching on love is particularly relevant to me at this stage of my life:
"For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth. Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself. He threshes you to make you naked. He sifts you to free you from your husks. He grinds you to whiteness. He kneads you until you are pliant; And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast."
Look into these books. They may appear simplistic to the jaundiced eye, but they may also provide the inspiration you need to see you through life's travails
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2009
A prophet has waited twelve years in a coastal town for the ship that will bear him back to his homeland, which he misses.

Why he is there, why he is waiting, how he knows what he knows, and who he is is a mystery. As he departs the townspeople gather to wish him well. A local seeress who knows him best asks him to share his wisdom so that it will endure for generations to come.

So, he reveals his wisdom on love, birth, marriage, children, pain, talking, pleasure, death any so much more.

It is a profound work, and here is his advice on marriage so you may judge for yourself:

You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days.

Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

Its not a little similar to the Tao Te Ching, where a border guard recognises Lao Tzu, and asks him to share his wisdom as he goes into exile. Written 2,500 years ago, and one of the most translated books in the world. The Tao contains many principles you can use in your everyday life, and if you're not thinking in ego based ways, your wisdom based thinking opens up..

If you like one book, you will love the other, so I recommend both. For the Tao, I recommend the Stephen Mitchell version.

I hope you find this review helpful.
on 23 October 2001
Sending a copy of The Prophet to a friend who has yet to discover it is like introducing someone to Paris for the first time or to Venice. In short, it is a revelation; a book of the most beautiful poetry, language that makes the heart sing and the soul pound with joy, but also of great spirituality and wisdom. Kahlil Gibran, a Lebanese writer and philosopher who lived in New York in the early twentieth century, took many years to write The Prophet. The result, a classic book for all time is both humbling and enlightening at the same time. Give it to your daughter as she takes her first faltering steps into womanhood, give it to your son as he paces uneasily into the world of men, give it to a friend, a lover, a husband or a wife but always keep a copy with you yourself. The Prophet is an inspiration, but should be accompanied by the government health warning: This Book Changes Lives.
on 8 December 2002
This is his most well known book and if you read it you will understand why.
The book is about a 'prophet' who is about to leave a town, but before he goes the towns people ask him to answer some questions. The questions are those which we have all asked. The answers in my view are insightful and revealing for those who wish to delve a little deeper into their perceptions of life.
It is spiritual, but I do not believe religious beliefs or spirituality are pre-requisites to enjoyment of what I see as an eloquent and moving book.
on 4 January 2005
This is a magical book. The messages are simple and the cynical may criticise the book for that. However if you are prepared to let the book work it's magic, by re-reading sections again and again at different times and stages of your life it will get under your skin and change the way you go about things. It is not a book to read, it is a book to live. Buy it, read it and if you take nothing from it give it to a second hand book store, fete or boot sale, so someone else may come across the magic. Buy it !
on 11 July 2014
This is my "desert island" book which I refer to over and over again. I must have bought hundreds of copies over the years as I always end up giving mine away when people fall in love with it. I find it a place to find not only deep wisdom but simple guidance on daily life, it restores my spirits and my soul. I have been asked to read"On Marriage" many times at friends weddings, and I refer to "On Work" when I hear folk moaning about jobs and careers. My copy is never far from reach.
on 23 August 2002
The language of this book is quite magical.As you read you can almost hear the voices asking "Tell us of...." and every time the answers delight and fascinate. The philosophy is simple yet the poetry intricate.
Gosh I love this book! As you gaze at the art work you again will be swept up into the world of questions and simple yet beautiful answers.
The prophet tells of love, friendship, parenting, crime and a good deal more....this book is a forerunner to the "conversations with God" series.
The Prophet is a masterpiece now and was then.
If you dont have it, then get it. Its a book to share with yourself and anybody you love...from children to parents...
Fantastic