on 31 August 2004
This is a very good book. As a muslim, the very concept of this book fits in directly with many Qur'anic statements about the signs of God in the Universe.
Beyond this, we have in this book a refreshing analysis of the wonderous design of both planet earth and the universe from the perspective of design theorists and not religious atheists.
More generally, the point of this book is to show an impressive correlation between features which make earth and the universe habitable with features which make it possible for us to discover the nature, function and operation of the universe. It does this in an easy manner and there are plenty of references for more details regarding fine tuning etc... that are discussed or mentioned in the book.
On the other hand, I found the very few parts where evolution was mentioned to (for reasons of being more acceptable to the hardcore evolutionist establishment) by no means question the validity of evolutionary biology. It seems they just take evolution for granted. I expected more in this regard from the authors in the Discovery institute. Although I do appreciate that members of the discovery institute can have varying view of evolution. Anyway, this is one reason why I only give four stars.
Added to this is also that the authors take for granted many of the current cosmological theories regarding planet formation (and perhaps galaxy formation also (I do not recall fully)).
So it must be appreciated that this is a book which makes its case by assuming all the current scientific theories. In this manner, they ruffle the fewest feathers. On the other hand, the one assumption they do question, is the copernican one.
So, in short. This book is refreshing because it discards materialist interpretation for scientific enquiry, making it disctinct from most other books discussing the same topics.
It makes a good case for design in the universe, design with us in mind.
It questions none (as far as I can remember) of the current theories on either universal formation (galaxies,planets etc...) or evolutionary biology.
I hope this review helps.
on 27 March 2013
I enjoyed reading this book. It was enlightening to read things from a creationist, but still scientific point of view. Enlightening in other ways too. I never realised the wealth of information that has been made available to us as a result of eclipses. Strongly recommended.
"The earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness,
The world and those who dwell therein." -- Psalm 24:1 (NKJV)

I enjoy reading books that explore the intersection between science and faith. While many people feel that the two never intersect, scientists who are believers often point out overlays that are unknown to non-scientist believers. If you don't believe that the two perspectives can overlap, you probably won't change your mind after reading this book. If you are open minded about the point, your mind will probably be filled with many new reasons to appreciate Creation.

Before reading this book, I was familiar with some arguments about the special nature of life on Earth and how conditional it is on certain factors being just what they are now. The Privileged Planet added to my list of reasons to be grateful for what we have.

The major new information for me was in The Privileged Planet was how many ways that what makes life possible on Earth is also essential to being able to observe the rest of Creation outside of our own world. Now, that's pretty special, I'm sure you'll agree.

Now, the book has some flaws. First, if you don't know anything about science I suspect you'll get lost from time to time. Second, if you know a lot about science, this book will seem too elementary. So the book's writing style won't be exactly right for too many people. Third, there's a lot of extra detail and repetition that make the "aha" moments further apart than would ideally be desirable for the casual reader.

I do praise the use of figures and plates. Those images added a lot to the story for me.

Pastors who feel stuck for a new sermon topic while teaching Genesis would do well to take a close look at this book. That's how I learned about the book, and I feel blessed that I had an opportunity to read it.
on 13 February 2013
I bought the book because I had seen the video. Enthralled with the bits I understood, but had to skim over much of it.
on 24 January 2006
Not even worth a star but Amazon won't let me post this review without one. The authors make enormous assumptions and extrapolations are made on the basis of a sample of one. When we still know so little about planets elsewhere in the universe, they make enormous leaps into the dark. The trouble is that if you do so, you don't where you will land and, boy, do these guys fall down a deep abyss.
This book masquerades as science but it's only connection is that its premise is founded on hilariously bad science (and therefore not scientific at all). You cannot say; trust me, I'm a scientist. That is not how science works. You have to have a better sample and better data than this. They are building their hypotheses on the tops of other hypotheses. Never a good idea.
A book for believers (and foolish ones at that) not for the rationally-minded.
on 3 January 2007
Amazed, Owe struck, Inspired, that's all very nice to read these favourable reviews. But whats the next step, will anybody be so moved by the facts, that they now look for the answers to the oldest questions. Those interviewed in the Privileged Planet held back from saying who they believe the awsome designer/creator of this beatiful planet is. Why? it's got to the point no one dare say GOD.
All i can say to advice you in your search is dont read the Bible on your own, you will be very frustrated, the Bible is inspired by God writen in such a way sacred secrets are not revealed to all.
No there is no code, only Divine light Gods holy spirit.
The only way to understand the scriptures, apply for a free home bible study with Jehovahs Witnesses. Yes its free!
[...] is the only offical site.
when you have taken advantage of the free home bible study, make your own mind up, believe me it's amazing to learn things that man has only just discovered well in the last few hundred years was writen in the bible at least 2000 years ago.
Why are we here?
How come trees and plants live longer than humans?
Did our creator simply create us for nothing?
Will Armagedon realy distroy only the wicked?