on 22 August 2013
Hahaha! This was my very first introduction to the world of Mark Twain and what a wonderful and marvellous introduction it is!
The book is a beautiful rendering of a very mischievous, precocious and clever little boy who, like a little boys, have a great love for adventure, fun and mischief. The things he gets up to, the way he thinks things through and the way he acts on his thoughts is absolutely hilarious and so very endearing at times.
In this day and age where children are now swamped with the latest electronic gadget (iPhone, iPad, xBox, Wii, etc), they have really forgotten what it is like to experience the simple joys of life where even a chipped marble or an apple core is considered big currency. In this book, children run about, invent games and plots, mimic their heroes and villains in acts of make-believe and get up to the most incredible scrapes and emerge stronger and smarter for it. Modern children are missing out!
Anyway, Mark Twain writes this book in an easy, affable and eminently readable way so please don't be intimidated by the fact that it is a classic ( and 'hence the writing must be heavy and old'). It is a great, easy and fun read, and one which I love going back to again and again, even if it just to vicariously live out my childhood days in that innocent, sweet and naive way again.
on 17 October 2014
Ashamed to say that I had reached my 60s before actually reading the whole of Huckleberry Finn (after having read Tom Sawyer, also for the first time, and you do need to have read that first). I hadn't realised how good a story-teller Mark Twain was, and if you haven't already done so I would thoroughly recommend them to you. OK, the world is rightly more politically correct now and you have to remember the culture that Twain was writing into, but even this is something of an eye-opener on the white-black divide in Mississippi at the time, but with a good deal of humour mixed in. The story requires you to suspend reality checks to some extent; for example, Huck is totally uneducated and in his early teens, but seems to have an excellent grasp of the geography along the river; perhaps he had just hitched rides on the riverboats and kept his ears open. Unlike 'Tom Sawyer', this book is written in first-person and with phonetic spelling; you just have to read with a Deep South accent!

The loss of one star is for the Kindle version, which had an irritatingly large number of words joined together - e.g. 'I tellyouifI catchyoumeddlingwithhimagain' - which you become surprisingly quick at decoding but was a bit wearing.

If you've not read it - now's your chance.
on 28 October 2014
I totally didn't know what to expect with this book after reading tom sawyer. but this is even better! It amazed me and surprised me about the adventures. A really good insight into what life was like back then, though author says there is no moral, it seems to have a lot of modern outlook to me, pointing out the unjust treatment of slaves, trickery of con men, strange ways of town folk, dangers of small minded villagers, and all the time centring around the innocence of boyhood, young male outlook, the inner teacher a boy can follow, the kindness and judgement he can learn to develop. OK, there is a repeated word, not used today, and offensive to people of African origin beginning with 'N', I daren't quote it here. However, it was used as in the original text and is correct in its historical usage. Be aware if passing this onto a child and decide for yourself how they may take on board or understand about this aspect in the language. but otherwise a great book. came on time.
on 12 September 2017
I had never read any of these stories previously but it soon becomes apparent why they are included in the classic novels. Soon got used to the dialect by reading it in context. An excellent and uplifting account of people thrown together in dire circumstances and the human spirit which carried them along. Perhaps not for the current PC generation but a great snapshot of history.
on 4 April 2017
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn Series Book 1) Kindle Edition

Where are the illustrations? Each section begins with a list of illustrations, but none are to be seen. There are large breaks in the text where, I imagine, the pictures should be, but they seemed to have been erased.

Also, I find navigation rather cumbersome. Each section ends with a line of tabs offering the reader the chance to jump to the next part, the previous part or the main index. Which ever I press takes me back to Location 1 - the beginning! Finding my last location is proving very hit and miss; even with added bookmarks. When I do find my place, the page layout is different; ie a chapter heading may now be half way down a page, rather than at the top.

As for the story, it feels a little disjointed. Reading other reviews, I wonder if this is an abridged version.
on 19 November 2017
Every child should read this as an example of fine writing and entertainment,I first read this when I was 7 years old and revisited 52 years later to be thoroughly immersed in the tale.The language used should be taken in context and the historical aspect judged on how times change although even as recently as my own childhood a lot of the words were in common use.
on 7 December 2013
Sometimes illustrated Kindle versions don't translate to the format well, but this edition is very good in every way. Clear and easy to read, and enjoyable to look at (even in black and white).

From the point of view of the story, I found it a drier read than, say, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Characters were more caricatures than well-drawn, but Twain still managed to point out the dichotomy of rich and poor in a way that makes me glad I live in the modern era.

I've been reading Tale of Two Cities at the same time, and am afraid that Twain can't hold a candle to Dickens in terms of characters and social commentary (at least, not in Prince and the Pauper), but that doesn't mean I would leave him off my list of authors who (whom?) should be read.
on 1 June 2017
It's great to catch up with classics on Kindle - especially when they are free!

I enjoyed re-reading this but found the phonetic spelling (to indicate accents) wearing. In the end, I gave up and skimmed through a lot of the denser dialogue. I guess Mark Twain was writing for an audience who read aloud and wanted a novel to take its time.
on 13 September 2011
These are brilliant stories, great adventures as well as painting a vivid picture of life in the southern slave states. Full of witty detail and packed with a whole variety of hugely entertaining episodes. I write this just to boost the star ratings which are ridiculously low for such great books. I've just got a new Kindle and I'm starting off by downloading some old favourites. Pride and Prejudice of course had to be first. Next this.
As for the debate about language, to change the words would be to miss the whole point and distort history. To me the books give a clear message that slavery is wrong and the bad words are put into the mouths of people who would have known no other words to use. I haven't persuaded my children to read these yet but maybe they've read too many Rainbow Fairies and vampire romance books (actually I really enjoyed Twilight!) to enjoy the classics! Don't think these are boring dry books like some classics can be though, they are alive and exciting.
on 24 October 2015
Tom Sawyer Collection - All Four Books...
Mark Twain

An awesome classic collection for all to read.

Take a trip back in time and revel in these beautifully written classics. Twain is exceptional, ‘The Adventures of Tom Sawyer’,
‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’, ‘Tom Sawyer Abroad’ and ‘Tom Sawyer Detective’

The extras to this volume make it a collection to thoroughly enjoy.

Great extras to this classic.