1,285
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 January 2015
After reading a selection of reviews I thought I would write my own. I completely understand the reason for the negative reviews but this book was not written for those people at this time. The point of the book is about becoming more aware and waking up in order to see things for what they truly are. For us that is rising above our mental filters, views and belief systems which are often distorted and destructive. Quite often it takes major life events for us to question our personal mental structures. This is exactly what happened to me and now I am so glad it did.

So in my opinion, this book is most likely to help you if:
1) You are having (major) challenges in life and your "normal" ways of coping are not working.
2) You are wondering what life is all about and are not finding any truly fulfilling answers.
3) And most importantly you are OPEN to looking at life in different ways.

This book is unlikely to help you if:
1) You do not want / are not ready for a shift in consciousness.
2) You are not open and prepared to question your own belief systems and views on life.
3) You focus more on the way things are written rather than look for the underlying message.

Look around, life needs us to wake up and this book is one of many tools available to help us do that!

Peace ;-D
22 comments| 382 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2013
This book is great for anyone who is trying hard to get away from their past...or thinking too much about the future. I was stressing myself so much about my unhappy childhood, past relationships, unable to forgive myself for things which have happenened in the past, going in and out of relationship, bringing up the past in new relationships, the list goes on, I had this negative way of seeing life and lived in fear of repeating past mistakes. This book has helped me see things very differently and I feel happier living in the Now and letting go of things I cannot change or focusing too much on the future.

All I can say is this book has helped me more than the dozens of self help books ive read.
on 11 October 2011
I bought this after it was mentioned in a review in psychologies magazine. It sounded like the answer to my prayers! Having lived for most my life under the harsh reign of my anxious, un-checked mind, this book promised to be a simple and powerful tool. I am happy to say that I have not been disappointed! This book is very easy to read and work with, and I have been pretty much anxious-free since I picked it up. I can't say it's easy, a life-time habit of thought pattern is hard to let go, especially when interacting with others. But with practise I can see the benefits will be priceless. To be mindful is the key to happiness, and although this has been taught since the beginning, it has become slightly accessorised with the tastes of various enlightened souls. Tolle's book is as simple and unfettered as it gets - it agrees with the essence of all our world religions but pulls back the heavy curtains to reveal the one truth that we all need to be. Once this has been accomplished everything else just falls into place!
Since I began reading this book my life has dramatically improved. I no longer require alcohol to socialise or relax, I see the beauty in everything and this gives me an endless supply of joy. My relationships are so calm and easy, my creativity has sky-rocketed and I feel relaxed and happy all the time. No sleepless nights or churning stomach. I will be buying this book for all my loved-ones because I want them to experience life like this too.
1313 comments| 300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2011
Just bought this book on Audio and listened to it whilst going for walks in the woods every day. I found it truly beautiful. No matter what you beliefs or how far along you are in your spiritual development this book can teach you things that will change your life. Most of us are aware of the importance of being "present", however after these teachings you may realise that it is the key to true happiness. This guidance (along with meditation) changed my life, relationships and energy. I recommend the audio especially if you can find the time to listen whist amongst nature. Eckharts chilled out voice really resonates and you will remember the truth you've always know deep down. Thank you for this book.
22 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2014
I doubt if anyone will read this review because I'm sure this book must have hundreds of five-star reviews but, just for the sake of posterity, I want to say that this is definitely one of the best books I've ever read

I wouldn't be surprised if, in 100 years time, it will be considered a classic.

I actually read it first about 10 years ago. At the time I thought it was good but I probably didn't realise just how good. Since then I have re-read it a couple of times and read all Eckhart Tolle's other works. All I can say is this one thing: if you're wondering whether to buy this book or not, buy it!
on 28 April 2014
If you let the fact that Oprah has promoted the book or the fact that it was on a bestseller list put you off this book then you will miss out.
To 'get' this book you need to be open to the realisation that our minds and emotions create our suffering and that we are more than our minds and emotions. It is timeless wisdom restated very clearly and without religious baggage. I believe that this book can help anyone who approaches it with an open mind.
on 24 January 2012
I suppose the fact that the book has 283 reviews which give it over 4 stars on average speaks for itself, and my review is redundant here, but for what it's worth, I want to say that I really needed to read this book.

There is just so much trouble and so much pain that we go through just because we take ourselves too seriously, we listen to our ego and we forget to live the moment (which is ultimately all that we have), always fretting about the past and how we miss it or how we cannot change it, always fearing the future that never comes.

Whenever I feel low, I remind myself that I'm just feeding my "pain body" and that I'm giving it food for dark thoughts... So I just close my eyes and focus on what I feel gives me energy, as Tolle suggests, and I realize how out of touch I had been when I was sad.

I have this book as a Kindle book, and aside from the fact that the ideas in themselves are wonderful and they have changed my relationship with myself, I also want to say that the Kindle edition was great, easy to follow and user friendly.
on 6 November 2011
Following my cancer diagnosis the oncoloist and I were talking about alternative treatments and what had helped others, she recommended this book. Whilst not embracing all within its pages it has provide a deal of stress relief and stillness at a very difficult time.
on 24 September 2016
Be careful if you judge buying this book by reading the lower ratings. Someone just rated 1 star and wrote that they only read the last chapter! Haha.

I was given this book by my massage therapist to take on my flight as a travel book. I still remember the moment I accessed the power of now. The slight tilt of the aircraft, the feelings of defying gravity, the feel of the coarse carpet under my foot. And the realisation of the present moment. That the present moment is all we truly have, the present is all we an truly change.

Am i glad this book found its way to me? My life was nice anyway but now it's wonderful. I appreciate of my present moment now than I have been before. When i flick to autopilot it's easier to make a conscious effort to bring my self back to the now. And trust me it's phenomal. Buy the book.... but be open. Don't expect anything from it. Just read it. And if you can relate to the sentences that's great you'll feel an intense feeling of peace and tranquility. If you cant relate to it just put on the shelf and pick it back up in a few weeks/months....
It's not a matter of intelligence it's a matter of life experience, I you can't relate to the book it's probably because you are already accessing the power of now so you don't need it :)
Eckhart is modern day prophecy though he's tooo humble to accept that.
on 23 January 2002
I have read many self-help books in my life, but not one has ever had the same impact on my life as the 'The Power of Now'.
Every word 'oozes' absolute truth and it can only have been inspired by the author first having had a life that made no sense. As a result, the author Eckhart Tolle had a total breakdown, but like a phoenix rising from the ashes and with more than a little help from The Buddha's teachings he analysed his life situation and
found that the basic problem was that his mind was 'all noise'from living in the past and thinking 'it will be alright in the future'. Recognise any similarities with yourself anybody?
Solution, get this book and start practicing with a conscious mind and living in the present moment.
Banish guilt, regret and grievences from your life. Learn to forgive and find peace. Recognise that the mind is basically all ego and that much of it is based on false characteristics, trying to be something that it is not, seeking power and influence that cannot be sustained. Where do you finish up? Often rejected by the world.
Living in the present moment does not mean withdrawing from modern society or even material possessions. What it does mean is living from a deeper perspective from within yourself, the 'inner being'and finding fulfilment well away from where you thought you would find it, somewhere on the outside.
The way Eckart Tolle describes the concept is not difficult to understand, but it will require consistent practice. Follow his clear directions and you will be able to experience relief immediately, even if only momentarily.
Buy this book, read it, re-read, practice its teachings and you will be on the road to a full, spiritually based (not religious), life that could only be dreamed of without it.
11 comment| 286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse