on 10 June 2011
I was stunned by the quality of the items in this book. They are beautifully photographed - such amazing techniques, I can hardly take my eyes off them!
When I showed one of the pages to my husband, he took the book off me and began to flick through them himself.

There are full instructions on how to make your own and lots of background information on different brands.

The effects of blending and combining canes are show step-by-step. Some of the tools used are going to be for serious artists only - a pasta machine just for clay might be beyond the budget of most of us - but these techniques could be used without them as well. I have always been a bit uneasy about using my kitchen oven for curing clay, so I was really interested in the baking powder tray and roasting bag tip to contain the chemicals while heating.

This has inspired me to have a go at more advanced, grown-up artistic effects. Good job too; I was getting bored making endless 'teddies'!
on 8 August 2017
I use the book a lot for inspiration as well as to look up some techniques. The photographs are absolutely stunning and it helps you to aim for neatness in work.Although the author mentions her brand of products, you don't really have to use the same as there are other brands too that are available. However I would surely recommend the book as I continue to find it useful.
on 28 May 2017
Purchased as a present and appreciated.
on 26 September 2017
Wow, Donna Kato is so accessible and what a lovely book.
on 28 October 2017
great book
on 12 July 2010
this book is an absolute must for anyone interested in polymer clay even if you already know a bit about it you can definetly learn a thing or two from this. donna katos work is amazing i still stare in awe at the work she does. she currently has 3 main books out but in my opinion this is DEFINETLY the best. In fact i own alot of polymer clay books but this is the best of them all. I have learned so much from this book about how certain techniques are achieved. Definetly buy it dont hesitate!!!!!
on 20 March 2011
I really like this book; I had done a one-day course on polymer clay prior to buying this book, and all the knowledge I had was what was covered on my course. One thing I do not like about the book though is the fact that there were not much tutorials on making an item from scratch (hence the 4 stars). That said, it teaches all the fundamentals which I think are absolutely important. One can then go on and use all the beautiful canes. to make really lovely jewellery and also ornaments. That sets the book apart in my opinion.

I recommend this book to anyone who does polyclay (even though I have just be using polymer clay for about a month). The cover does not do it enough justice as far as I'm concerned. I also would recommend kato polyclay which I think is fantastic if one is patient enough to condition it properly. It takes much longer to condition, does not stick and holds a pattern very well. I was almost put off after my first attempt at conditioning it but persevered and I've done some really beautiful things with it.
on 29 August 2012
I was a little disappointed with the book. There is a lot of text and some of the instuctions are not that clear to follow. I would not want to make most of the examples. The pictures of the more intricate pieces presumably made by the author are fabulous. It is quite "american" in content.
on 1 November 2010
Great book! Excellently written and illustrated with step-by-step beautiful photos by Vernon Ezell. Donna Kato writes in a very simple but precise way, explaining each step and providing useful tips for every project. The book comes with a general introduction where you will find the basics about polymer clay, tools and materials. It is then divided into 4 main subjects that go through specific techniques. This book, although it might not show every detail of every piece, really brings inspiration to people that like to create with clay. This book, together with the other 2 books by Donna Kato, is definitively one of the best I've ever bough about this subject. Donna's books were the best investment I made on polymer clay books. I definitively recommend them all!
on 3 May 2017
This is a nice book to look at and I will try some of the projects it is heavily slanted to the US market. The most irritating part of the book especially in the first few chapters is the author shamelessly plugging her own products .Its like one long advert at times I understand she is passionate about her products but some objectivity would have been nice. There are hundreds of products out there that at not the Kato brand
This annoying habit really puts me off Donna Kato books