on 28 September 2005
This book is the greatest golf book i have ever read - and i have read a lot of them. All the classics from Earnest Jones to Ben Hogan to the coaches of today Leadbetter, Harmon, who ever have nothing on this book. What it allows you to do is take every tip/swingthought/technique you have ever heard and understand them even though they might seem contradictory. As a result my handicap has plumeted and continues to do so, not by fixing one part of my swing but allowing me to know which tip will work with my style of swing and which wont. Every golfpro can tel you "you should do this" or "you should do that" but this book will tell you both how and why. If you love golf buy this book now. You wont regret it.
on 14 January 2012
Now let me start this review by saying that I don't profess to be a great Golfer; neither do I think I'll necessarily be one. I do however want to be one, and have played for around six months with mixed success. I'm most certainly the type of person that wants to get things right, and as a consequence I've read almost every highly thought of book there is to read out there, trawled almost every Golf related instructional video on Youtube and found myself buying any magazine which assures me they have the secret to a great swing inside. Invariably, what you are getting is an additional swing thought or advice contrary to last week's great answer. What I'm trying to say is that micro analysis and a desire to want perfection now has done more harm to me that good.

If you've ever found yourself wondering why on one hand you're told to shift your weight onto the inside of your right foot at the top of the backswing, only to be told by another that it is to stay centred, and wondered who to believe, then this is for you. If you've been told to start your downswing with a lateral movement to the target, only to be told by another not to, then this is for you. I could list at least ten examples of conflicting instruction (be that on grip, posture, backswing, downswing, whatever) which had served only to sap my will, energy and enthusiasm for the game when it hasn't gone on to work.

What this book excels at is laying out in simple terms what you should or shouldn't be doing in your Golf swing. This book conveys the clear idea (fact) that there are in effect two different types of Golf swing with very different characteristics. These are the one plane swing and the two plane swing. It makes clear that you probably have a hodge-podge of a swing comprised of a number opposing methods. It encourages you to select the type of swing that you prefer (or are capable of) and gives you the information you need to eliminate every bad trait that you've poisoned your Golfing mind with. Most importantly, at least for me, it explains why.

Golf isn't a simple game, but its made so much more complex by the sheer amount of conflicting information out there, yet so much simpler by this book. Reading it felt as if I'd been taken to one side by a stranger at the driving range who'd seen me thrashing around at the ball aimlessly, and having the facts presented to me in a clear way for the first time. I didn't go out and shoot at 65, but I at least knew why I wasn't.

You will read this book and feel enlightened. You will finally have the information to build a great swing from scratch or improve a spluttering one. I followed this purchase with a second of Jim's books, the Masterclass, the purchase of his DVD'S (not currently on Amazon UK) and a visit to a Golf instructor familiar with his methods. Maybe you'll go to that extent and maybe you won't, but this book alone is enough to give you a chance of being a great and educated Golfer.
on 28 September 2006
The information in this book has set me on the path of a rapidly declining handicap. (two shots last month, broke 80 for the first time)

If you want to sort out all the contradictions in swing teaching read this book and use the authours website forums. Jim Hardy has resurrected the one plane swing as used by Hogan and Snead and clarified the Montyesque two plane swing.

Why not 5 stars? The writing could be a little clearer and more pictures would help. The information is 6 stars though.
on 30 August 2006
Should also buy his friend Hank Haneys book. They fit quite well together. This is a very good golf book. Where it could be better is the photos of Jim Hardy swinging the club. He says that Ernie and Michele Wie are pure one plane swingers and comparing them to his stooped over posture does not seem like a match. What I would like to see applied in the future is a re-analysis of Dr Ralph Manns and Fred Griffins "PRO" in their excellent book ,"Swing like a pro" using the one plane/two plane swing models introduced in this book to give an even better road map on how to swing the golf club. Jim Hardys one plane swing seems more Moe Norman than Michelle Wie. No bad thing when driving the golf ball but what about the short game ? The one plane swing he tells us is an updated version of the swing first described by Ben Hogan in his book.
on 5 November 2008
I would agree that this book is not for a beginner. I recently saw a pro teach the one plane swing, his pupil was swinging with great effect. Thus, I also booked a lesson. My slice had gone!!! However, I continued to pick up tips from books & videos for further improvement. This left me more confused. With this book, no more - I now know what to work on & what to leave well alone. I would recommend a one plane lesson with a pro, as this will not only reinforce, but make the book easier to understand.
As with others, my critisism is that it lacks some clarity i.e pictures.
on 9 May 2011
I am a 14 handicapper who has just moved back to 15 after having spent some hundreds of pounds on lessons in the past two years. I decided that self improvement was worth attempting. My tools were Jim Hardy's book - The Plane Truth for Golfers - a little video camera and tripod, a software package to see my swing (ObjectusVideo for a Mac) and Hardy's website, which abounds with gems. The book is very descriptive with just a few images, but is amply supported by visual analysis from the website. While I can never be a Scott McCarron (Hardy's subject for a one-plane swing) I am able to practice changes to my swing and compare the results on a daily basis. Learning is difficult and frustrating (it took me a week to get my takeaway anything like Jim Hardy describes), but oh what a great help these tools are proving to be.
on 9 December 2005
This is a strange book...on the sleeve and in the forewords,it is built up to be an absolute classic, a revolutionary new breakthrough in golf teaching...and yet, well, it's not! Not even close, in fact. The layout is confusing and very cluttered, the teachings are unclear and there is very little in the way of actual swing mechanics being taught. It's a book written as a result of his sessions with seasoned professionals, and it shows. A beginner would be totally confused at this book, I myself was confused at times and i'm a single-figure handicapper.
In short, its overall idea is good, but this book is a classic example of how difficult it can sometimes be to transfer physical one-on-one coaching into a simple book with words & pictures. I'm sure the guy himself could change your game quickly in person, but this book just does not work in my opinion...such a shame because I had high hopes for it.
on 4 May 2012
Now I understand why the some best players swing tips did not work for me. There are these 2 distinct swing categories which need there own separate fundamentals. On further investigations into the Plane Truth it has thrown up even more intrigue into why golfers can only hit half their golf clubs well at a time. Why Nicklaus was a great long iron player and why Gary Player was a great wood player.

The next 2 books are just as good and I highly recommend you having a good read.
on 25 May 2007
A struggling 10 handicapper whose swing changes from 1 day to the next....not any more....thankyou Jim Hardy I've seen the light and it was you who showed me the way

Lessons instruction books tips from friends I now realise get you in a mish mash of trying to combine elements of the 1 and 2 plane swing

Jim Hardy explains clearly the fundamentals of each swing there's nothing new for the experienced golfer but the 'secret' is that you recognise which fundamentals apply to each swing Disregard those that do not apply to the swing you have adopted it's as simple as that

And by halving the myriad of swing thoughts one can concentrate more easily on the correct thoughts for the adopted swing!

Thanks Jim and you should increase the price of the book...it's a steal as far as I'm concerned
on 27 October 2006
The most amazing thing about golf is that the harder you try to get better the more confused and erratic you become.

Although this book suffers from a paucity of pictures and a rather text-heavy format, if you are a technically-minded 'student of the swing'then you will wish you read this book years ago.

I have numerous books, DVDs and subscriptions to magazines and what strikes you is how much contradictory information is out there in so-called 'instruction bibles'. With his break down of the one and two-plane swings, Hardy shows the reader why he cannot produce consistant results - because he has elements of both swings in his game.

This book is not for the absolute beginner, but for those who thought they understood the golf swing, but did not understand why they could not apply what they know, this is GOLD DUST!