Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 March 2004
I came across this book having listened to Get the Edge by Anthony Robbins, who's nutrition advice is based on the principles contained within it - all be it that he does not perhaps go to the extremes the book suggests.
I was sick of feeling 'lethargic' all the time and not knowing how to counter balance this, so decided to get it and see. At first I was shocked by the information and a little worried that I was apparently now not allowed to eat nearly all the food types I love. I have decided to give it a go though and have been very happy with the results so far. Feeling more energetic, with none of my previous Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms evident now. This is only 2 1/2 weeks since starting and I have cheated for a couple of meals at weekends, but so far so good - I have also lost half a stone in weight (7 lbs).
The other reviews on Amazon range from great to sceptical and appear to miss the point that the book suggests taking the advice to a higher level of rigidity depending on your symptoms. This makes sense to me. Any cure to any illness will surely work better if aplied 100%, rather than 75% for example - this is no different. The book shows you how to test your acidity and assumedly if you start becoming too Alkaline (though I feel this must be very difficult with it taking some 20 times more alkalinity to counter balance any acid forming food - If I understood correctly!) you can change your diet accordingly. It does state that the PH balance of the blood and organs are critical within a few 100ths of a ph point, so sensibility must prevail when testing yourself. [Not sure on how accurate self testing is?]
So whilst perhaps a daunting prospect, to learn to eat a vegan style diet whilst combining foods correctly, I am sticking with it. I was glad that there is none of the usual weighing and measuring of food, more simply going on the percentage by volume on your plate, by which to judge your intake. This simplifies things and also there are a number of helpful recipies and information on what to eat, why to eat it and what the benefits are.
At the end of the day, it comes down to how much you want to apply the principles given to fight your symtpoms - which is obviously down to the individuals desire to change how they feel.
11 comment| 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2004
These principles are really well worth the effort of trying for yourself.I was a vegetarian and followed the typical"Low fat high fibre" type diet and I felt and looked well for my age(I am 46). The odd aches and pains, feeling not quite as energetic as I used to I accepted as part of the aging process. Two years ago I started to follow Robert Young's diet to the letter. I now feel more energetic than I did when I was 20! No matter how many people I meet who are coughing and sneezing I just don't catch colds and flu.My figure is now as I would have hoped for at 20, I am a trim 8stone and have no cellulite, my skin is incredible and everyone has noticed the difference and asked what I am doing differently. Many have questioned me on the principles of the diet and after trying a few little changes they are so delighted that they come back and ask for details to buy the books, and they too are hooked. Robert Young's books have made such a difference to me and everyone I have recommended them to.The changes are certainly well worth trying you and if my experiences are anything to go by you will not regret it.
11 comment| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2005
I read this book after hearing Anthony Robbins praising the alkaline diet. I read it right through, then started on the plan. Within 6 weeks I had lost the stone that I had been gradually putting on since I was 18, without even trying, felt more energetic than ever, and my skin looked fantastic. I didn't have any major health problems before, but now feel confident I am in the best condition I have been for years.
I did find the green drink he recommended hard to get hold of in the UK, but then found it at alkaline4health.co.uk
I highly recommend this book.
on 27 January 2003
Dr Robert Young (and his wife Shelly) present, in a more accessible form, the research presented in their previous book "Sick and Tired: Reclaim Your Inner Terrain". In a nutshell, they argue that by making sure at least three quarters of what you eat is vegetables (and half of those raw), you can take a quantum leap forward in health. To get the best results you should cut sugar, dairy, meat (except fish), and yeast to virtually zero and take mineral and other supplements. It may sound extreme, but the case studies are compelling. Certainly more research is needed. In the meantime, my own personal experience backs it up - following the diet loosely (and seeking energy more than weight loss) I lost four inches of my waist in eight weeks and lost my athsma. This was a happy by product of seeking more energy. I would certainly recommend using the key health supplements in the book (colloidial minerals and the green drink) as I began to get a much wider range of health benefits when I started using the supplements with the diet. If you are at all open minded and determined to improve your health, then read this book. The alkaline diet could be the diet of the noughties and beyond...
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2006
I bought this book about 6 weeks ago and can honestly say it is one of my best ever "buys"! In spite of the fact that I have many books on nutrition and healthy cooking, I now realise that the "healthy eating" I have tried to maintain for years wasn't that healthy at all! Since making a few simple adjustments in line with the recommendations in this book, I have lost 15lbs in weight (and counting!) and experienced my energy levels and sense of general well-being soar.

Please take some of the "negative" reviews below with a generous pinch of salt. They misrepresent the programme by either presenting the recommendations for those attempting to heal themselves of extreme conditions, e.g. cancer, as being applicable to all (they are not) or take particular references so entirely out of context as to make them ridiculous (e.g. the bread recipe, below, which is actually used in the book as a quotation from the Dead Sea Scrolls and just shows the wisdom we have lost).

For your health's sake, buy this book and begin today. It may well be the best decision you make this year.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2006
I first heard of Robert Young after attending the Anthony Robbins Seminar. The book was so easy to read and made such a lot of sense that I immediately became a vegan and followed all the recommendations. I lost 2 and a half stone in about 4 months and felt full of energy. I have now bought 5 copies of the book and given them to my friends or anyone I know who has health problems. I highly recommend the book to anyone who wants a healthier lifestyle and to feel energised and full of vitality
on 23 September 2013
Before spending your hard earned cash on this book I would urge you to google 'ph miracle' and look at the [...] site results.

The first thing to realise is that there is no scientific basis to the "alkaline" theory put forward in this book and I, for one, will certainly not be adulterating my drinking water with hydrogen peroxide. Nor will I be purchasing "Dr" Young's expensive green food supplements.

However, you can't go wrong eating more green veg, less dairy and less meat. The vegetable juice recipes are nice, and there are a few reasonably good vegan recipes but, I am concerned that there is insufficient focus on balanced nutrition. It isn't good enough to use tofu as the predominant source of protein (it has too much of an oestrogenic effect). Also, if you want to follow a vegan diet you need to ensure that you have a good mix of pulses and grains,and I don't feel that this book explains the importance of balanced vegan nutrition. The type of diet recommended in this book is unsustainable in the long term even for a hard core vegan.

For meat eaters, the Gillian McKeith "you are what you eat cookbook" is MUCH better. As is "Mayumi's kitchen" for vegans or anyone who wants to follow a macrobiotic diet.

By all means buy this book for a couple of nice juice, soup and stew recipes (if you like veggies), but to be honest, I think that your money would be better spent on a copy of "Sugar Blues" by William Duffy, a good macrobiotic recipe book and Patrick Holford's "Optimum nutrition cookbook".

Alternatively, follow these guidelines:

1. Eat more veg
2. Drink more water
3. Eat less meat and dairy
4. Eat less refined sugar and wheat
5. Go for more walks
6. Do some yoga/stretching
7. Go to bed earlier

If you manage all of that, you will feel better and lose weight :)
on 21 May 2003
What a fantastic book. At first this booked seemed complicated but once I started following its recommendations I found it brought my energy levels back to a condition of coherency and vitality. After a few months I have lost 2 stone in weight and more importantly am achieving a high level of health and wellness.
on 13 August 2007
This book makes sense of the chemistry of the human body. After only 3 weeks of drinking filtered water with added 'bleach' I have shed almost a stone, and feel better than I have done for years. It takes a little forward planning to maintain an interesting diet based on salads, but the clean fresh feeling inside is well worth it. Minimising sugary fruits also makes sense if one is suffering from a yeast infected gut, but with tomatoes, avocados,lemons, cherries and limes as recommended, and apples as acceptable, eating fruit is not a thing of the past. The book makes for good reading, especially the case testimonies.
on 9 October 2003
Having always been a physically fit & healthy person, and having read several books on nutrition, I was not expecting more than a few new ideas this book. This book completely changed my views on food & health!! What's more, the Alkarian philosophy (eating alkalising foods and avoiding acid-forming foods) is something that you can adopt as strictly or gently as you like. I have phased this new way of eating into my diet over 3 months and feel fitter and healthier than ever before. At age 32 I have as much energy as when I was 18. When everyone around me came down with flu, I remained healthy (a first!). This book will give you an insight into what happens to food after we eat it. It clearly explains which foods are damaging to your health and why. It also tells you exactly what you can and cannot eat, and includes dozens of recipes. If you would like to have the health, energy & vitality of a 20-year old when you are 60, the read this book! If you suffer from Diabetes, Irritable bowel syndrome, yeast infections, yuppie flu or any symptoms that modern medicine cannot treat, then this may change your life.
Dr Young studies live blood using high-power microscopes. This is a fairly new discipline and it allows scientists to see exactly what happens when different substances and consumed. Live blood analysis allows the examination of organisms and cells in the blood are not destroyed prior to examination.
Besides losing 3kgs (6.6 pounds) in 2 weeks, I now feel cleansed, healthy and energetic. If you are interested in a diet for long-term, permanent weight loss as well as regaining health and energy, then this book is a must.