on 4 April 2017
This is a cracking bit of space opera. It ticks all the boxes and hits practically every trope in the genre. However, it does it so very well that you don't care that you've seen the basic plot before or not.

I didn't care, anyway. I just enjoyed settling in for a lovely evening of reading a comfortable story. Familiar? Yes. Dull? No. There are enough new ideas added to the mix that keeping my attention was no problem. Plus there were no irritating typos or mistakes to distract me from that fantastically warm read.

To sum up: I loved it. I have already downloaded book two and I was just waiting to finish this review before I started it.
One person found this helpful
on 2 December 2014
This book is annoying. There are sections (and the start is one of them) that reads like an instruction manual - or perhaps the plot outline. No dialogue, just lengthy descriptions of events and technical blurb. Really not interesting.
The Zeke character starts off good but gets progressively smug and less likeable. It's great to develop super powers - even better to actually use them!
Zirkos is a stock alien and, let's face it, you would want to shake him off at a party once he started talking to you near the drinks table. Ferris? Yawn! Predictable as anything. A truly stock character. Very disappointing. The AI - dull and overly powerful. If Zirkos with the technology and the virtually unlimited capabilities of Pod and Ship had to run away from the Nubl, then Earth, using basically the same technology didn't stand much chance. When you got technology that can do everything (materialise anything from thin air, travel faster than light, move anything, transmogrify anything into anything) then the story just becomes a magical fantasy with little tension. Pointless.
Some of the dialogue seemed awfully un-American as well. Quite strange.
I will not be buying the next edition. I particularly don't want to risk the possibility that the Nubl don't arrive and wipe that smug git Zeke out.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2017
Some good ideas explored here, if given a tech boost, how do you stop the crazies from subverting your efforts to move the human race forward? This is not so much a "hopeful future" as per Star Trek, but one littered with rednecks wanting it all for themseleves to the detriment of you and me.

I quite liked the start and the idea of stopping fear and crime, which was unexpected. Dismantling it was a bit of a let down.

I'd be inclined to read on to see if the hero manages to achieve the goals he set out to achieve with other twists on a tech future that means we all benefit.
on 29 September 2016
I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the build up and back ground to the story and then getting to know the characters and enjoyed the plot. However I'm only giving it four stars because someone needs to seriously edit the punctuation. I would often have to go back and read something because I was unsure who was speaking. The normal rule (without all the side bits) for speech punctuation is a quotation mark at the beginning and end of the speech. If the speech is more than one paragraph then the quotation mark goes at the beginning of EVERY paragraph but only at the end of the last paragraph. Despite that I'm just about to download the next book in the series.
on 21 March 2014
I have been reading science fiction for a very long time, 40 years +, and think that I am able to determine good from bad and the downright mediocre. This book has pleasantly surprised me. It grew on me and the characters are likeable and the plots plausible.
The grammar is a bit iffy and the links need tightening up as do introducing characters and groups. Looking forward to th next instalment - an easy read.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2017
I thought this was a good book. In the beginning I found it a little confusing as it went from one place to another. As the book progressed I found the story intriguing and enjoyed every bit of it. I will look to purchase the other three books as I think they will make a good read.
on 21 December 2016
A great story that doesn't get bogged down with to many technical facts but stimulates the "what's next" feeling which keeps you turning the pages. While introducing nano science and many other new inventions the human interaction still makes for a full, warm tale of a world awakening to the fact it's NOT ALONE.
on 31 January 2015
Good story. Good characterisation. Well paced. Just one problem, hence one star off. Terrible punctuation. He really, really likes to use (or is that overuse) commas. Sometimes every other word. Once, even one straight after another. Other than the punctuation problem, it's a good book and I look forward to the others in the series, if there are any, after "POD".
on 4 July 2014
Fab book. Stretches the imagination and occasionally the time frames are a little hard to swallow, but I'm a fan of not drawing stories out as the reader gets bored if there's too much description of things. This is a no-nonsense "up and at 'em" sci-fi book - just my cup of tea and can thoroughly recommend it!
on 6 April 2015
A different take on a aliens meets humans story that has a good few twists and turns to keep you interested.
I got the book a free kindle book and am glad I did. There are more than a few fresh ideas and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.