on 27 October 2013
Handy for when time is limited - could have led to a longer, more involved story with a bit more substance. I felt that the characters were not fully developed and those few descriptions that we do get are repeated unnecessarily. I felt slightly disappointed at the end as the main female's character was believable, rather like Lady Dedlock in Bleak House, and could have been developed. And did we have to keep having Queen Victoria's picture quite so often - a good idea but overworked, but the Victorian era was never quite evoked.

Would I recommend it? Yes, I think so
One person found this helpful
on 12 November 2015
This is a case where I u derstand the books were written subsequent to the successful radio plays on radio 4. The books are darker and more brutal but there is still the great inter reaction between the main characters.
on 8 May 2014
This is a short story in the Inspector McLevy series.
I read it in one sitting, as once again I was so drawn into the inspector's Edinburgh Victorian world.
If you are wanting to get a flavour of that world, this would be a good introduction.
on 27 February 2014
Not sweet as in sickly sweet. Sweet as in just perfectly formed. McLevy is a wonderful, real and rounded character. The story grows at just the right pace and the language of Victorian Embra is beautifully embraced.
on 21 September 2015
Although I very much like the Inspector McLevy mysteries, short stories are less gripping.
on 7 June 2013
The characters are priceless and the words and style used are wonderful - it brings out a real sense of a 19th century Sherlock Holmes Edinburgh detective - pity it was a little short
4 people found this helpful
on 4 June 2014
I enjoyed this book immensely; I love the McLevy series and have bought lots more. I heard them on the radio first and wanted to read them. They are vivid and gritty just what I like. I have alos bought the Managle Street Murdres which was entertaining.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 July 2013
I enjoyed this but did not realise it was only a short story. Probably my oversight but it could have been made clearer. Still, it was worth a read and I look forward to more.
on 6 March 2017
Good old fashion detective story. Good fir a change between long novels or series of books. Good read and interesting.
on 12 October 2016