Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 May 2016
This thought provoking faction is a very good read and describes the Overton Window as a device for political manipulation by the hinting of un palatable options slipped into the public domane with the intention of becoming adopted as real strategy for powerful influences.
on 27 May 2014
I gave it three stars purely on strength of the importance of the ideas; I would've rated the story line two stars at best. The writing was okay at times, in my opinion, but like the story itself is not up to the task of realizing the ideas presented.

The value of the novel lies entirely in the research it was based on. which in my observation is almost spot-on. The book fictionalizes very well the process of shifting the debate from "We have individual rights" to "What kinds of rights might the Powers That Be permit us?" The speeches of the villain are almost worth the price of the novel in themselves. They were so well-written that I almost felt myself falling under the spell of the "The masses are far too stupid and ignorant to be entrusted with the task of running their own lives!" As a demonstration of this point, please note the chorus of "But liberty is a wingnut idea!" that usually greets claims that we're well on the way to becoming an Orwellian police state here and in America. "Why should we care if we're monitored and controlled 24/7 if we're not doing anything wrong!"

People who say these things are living proof of the book's thesis. And therein lies the value of the book. People may hate its amateurish style and sloppy plot line, but the facts and ideas presented may stick to some degree in readers' heads. Or so I hope.
on 9 April 2012
Beck does have quite a reputation for his political views but it is important not to be prejudiced against the book because of them. When I bought the book I hadn't read anything he's said or written before but did have a rough idea of his political views. The book is a good fast paced political thriller with an interesting plot and is not overly littered with his political views. It is overall a very good and entertaining read and is even more interesting for those with an interest in US politics. I have given it four stars instead of five simply because though it is good it is not up there with the very best thrillers. It is definitely worth the money and worth reading.
on 14 June 2011
I bought this book as it kept coming up in the lists of best political thrillers 2010 on many websites. It was a dissapointing read. The synopsis looked promising and I even requested next day delivery from Amazon. The subject matter was interesting and I believe that with a bit more focus and determination, the author could have turned it into the quality read it was professed to be. It is not a thriller, at least not an interesting one that keeps you awake at night with anticipation as you wait to discover what will happen on the next page. It is definitely political, with quite a bit more raving than thrilling going on and relatively tedious. Read this book if you are very interested in American politics or studying politics or a fan of Glenn Beck. Not recommended as a nice read to pass the time or as an exciting read. I will be reading the Line of Succession by William Tyree next. I sincerely hope it is more interesting and gripping than The Overton Window.
on 12 July 2012
I am 65 years old and an avid reader. In my early teens I probably read everything in the junior section of my local library. However, this is the biggest load of garbage I have ever read!! In fact, I am not really sure why I continued to the end except I think I kept hoping it would improve and I would eventually "get the point". Sadly this didnt happen. This is a first for me in that I have never,ever written such a bad review. I generally always have the greatest respect for authors no matter what but this book is truly terrible.
on 5 November 2013
If you want to know how we (the public) are manipulated by almost all that are charged with our guidance & goodwill, read this & wonder.
on 16 January 2011
I heard of Glenn Beck and when I brought this boook expecting to be littered with his political views.The book was surprising more moderate the Glenn Beck stated views.The plot was well trodden a group of wealty and powerful people wanting to take over USA by manupulation .The story line was good but was let down the the actual writing. Then end book slightly confusing.But resonable good debut thriller and actual was easy to read.
on 19 January 2012
Don't waste your money on any of the Glenn Beck books. He hasn't even written any of them. They are by ghostwriters and they are badly written. You are better off spending your money on better books.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2016
At last my nail biting and counting the days are almost at an end.
In maybe a day or so 'Overton Window' by Glenn Beck will be delivered to me and I will be fervently reading it.
When all the reading is done, I will, I promise, post a review.
Until then I can only wait patiently for it to arrive.
On and upwards Glenn baby.
After reading the two new reviews about this book I thought it was about time I returned to my unfinished one.
I have read the book and now I am adding the following.
I found 'Overton Window' a light easy read and not at all written in a lazy unsophisticated style.
I must admit it doesn't rate with the greatest books of all time, but, on the other hand, it doesn't rate as bad book either.
However, I doubt Mr Beck was shooting this high in the first place as to create a minor masterpiece.
It is a composition I feel of a lot of other stories- eg 'Manchurian Candidate'- instead of a horrendous Mother figure it has a Father cut in the same mould. He even has a speech that is a variation on the same theme as Mommy Dearest in the previously mentioned book.
A lot of the ideas woven into the story are not new and have been around a long time. Another theme that echoes through out is that of Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil'. The ending is very similar as to invoke memories of it.
Strangely too 'Overton Window' throws my thoughts back to the books of Graham Greene that dealt with Fifth Columnists, Esperanto classes and spies mingling among the upper classes at English fetes.
One must remember 'Overton Window' is a work of fiction and must at all times be read as such.
I am sure Mr. Beck is not trying to brainwash anybody into thinking along the lines of 'Please follow me' like some sort of modern day Pied Piper.
I suggest anybody intending to read it to accept it for what it truly is just an interesting read to while away the time.
So be it.