Customer reviews

The Outsorcerer's Apprentice
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2014
Despite some of other reviews, I found this much easier to follow than its precursors in the 'doughnut' series. Funny, imaginative, readable. Sure, it's not high literature, but it passes a few hours pleasurably, and it was the most enjoyable Tom Holt book I've read since 'Blonde Bombshell' - and, unlike some Holt fantasy novels, the ending wasn't disappointing either.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2014
Tom Holt continues his wandering through the superbly surreal surroundings of his fantasy worlds. This one appeals to me more than the last couple he has written and I was gripped by the narrative and engaged in the story more. I was expecting something better (if you will pardon the pun), but he has got back on track. To fully understand the references and plot line, it helps if you have read "Doughnut" - but it isn't essential (and if you are a Tom Holt fan you will have read it already anyway).
One person found this helpful
on 24 April 2015
If you are reading this then you are interested in Tom Holt books and will probably know the story line. Won't spoil that for you but you need to read / listen to Doughnut first.
All I will say is that Ray Sawyer, the narrator, does have a range of different voices for the characters and is quite good, but if you listen to the Terry Pratchet talking books, he's nowhere near as good as Nigel Planer who is superb.
on 24 August 2017
I have loved all these books and I am looking forward to the next. The creativity never fails to amuse me.
on 15 April 2015
Kept me reading but nothing new which can be a plus and a minus. You know what you are getting and the threads from previous books work but at the same time I felt I'd been here before - maybe I've read too many of his books, or looked through too many toroids :)
on 13 April 2015
I was reading this on the day that the Large Hadron Collider was switched back on. I lost a very large amount of time looking for the name Theo Bernstein in the papers. This book is exceptional.
on 15 November 2014
I haven't read a Holt book in a while, and I was pleasantly surprised by this. It's laugh-out-loud funny in parts, and very engaging. I enjoyed it a lot. I usually read Pritchett when I'm in the mood for comic fantasy, but I think I'll be switching to Tom Holt in future!
on 22 January 2017
bought as a gift.
on 7 March 2016
One of my favourites but would read Doughnut first to understand better.
on 10 November 2016
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse