on 26 June 2017
I was initially apprehensive as I thought it would be a ghost written journey with little depth. However I have found it a compelling read. His style is natural and he comes across as an honest guy who has personal flaws like we all do. He is aware and open about any failings and surprised me with his candid revelations. It's not a Tolstoy but a great read.
One person found this helpful
on 9 September 2017
I have really enjoyed this book and finding out more about Jimmy Conners. He hasn't always had it easy and is great to see the tenacity he has shown throughout his life. Part of the great tennis revolution as well. Nice to hear his opinions on the top players at the time too. Yes if you a tennis fan and want to know more about legendary players you need to read this book.
on 8 December 2016
I liked watching Connor's play. Poorly written, he comes across as petulant, perhaps that's what helped him become a champion, but in the person stakes he perhaps will only inspire young win at all cost people. The book is nowhere near as well written as Agassi's. Overall is was a disappointment that he didn't bring any feeling to this, just him against the world.
on 26 August 2015
This is an OK book if you're a tennis fan of a certain age. I read it mostly because I had a crush on the peerless Chris Evert and wanted to hear about Connors' relationship with her, but Connors doesn't really do "insight" on the human level.

Connors is comfortable in his own skin, and he can be admired for that as well as for his brilliant tennis career. But don't expect to learn much from him, as it seems like he has nothing to give other than to himself.

For insight, warmth and a thoroughly good read, buy Agassi's book instead. Or as well, so that you have the two extremes of tennis autobiographies to compare and contrast.
One person found this helpful
on 25 November 2014
Starts off very poorly but get's going. Sloppy cartoon writing and nearly stopped reading after the first chapter . Get's better. He does play the victim through out the whole book and this makes his version of events less than credible.. His wife can not have been that pleased that the first 50 or 60 pages are all about Chris Evert. Inclusive of a very unnecessary and unbalanced version of a major issue in their relationship. Clearly, he is still very hung up about her. Have to say at the end, I thought there was in fact a human side to this boorish tennis player. If only because he likes dogs. Everything else in his life seemed marred by prize money or the terms and conditions. Agassi gets a sharp reply to the accusations made against Connors in his Autobiography. Chris Evert has still yet to write her memoirs. So it's her turn next. I hope Jimmy is sitting comfortably....
on 6 September 2013
This is one of the best sports biographies I have ever read. Jimmy Connors tells his story, warts and all, in a candid account of his career. He pulls no punches in his opinion of the many and varied characters he has encountered, and is especially critical of himself in his darker moments. He brings back vivid memories for those of us lucky enough to have seen him play in his pomp, and whether you loved or loathed him as a player, you can't help but warm to him after reading this book.
This is no anodyne, sugar-coated tale; it's brash, earthy, vulgar in parts, and ultimately uplifting - just as you would expect from Jimmy Connors.
on 17 July 2013
Jimmy Connors was a great hero of mine as I was growing up. He did so much with those other great pros of his era to bring tennis into the mainstream for all classes. The story of his life is told from the heart, and he exposes parts of his life that I was unaware of. The main hero of the book is undoubtedly his wife wonderful Patti. Jimmy's life and career was dominated by the likes of his Mom, and Two-Mom, but Patti was a rock to him. A heroine. Thanks for sharing Jimmy. Recommended read for all tennis fans.
on 28 June 2013
Jimmy was my childhood hero who greatly shaped my beliefs in being resiliant and always working as hard as possible to make the very best outcomes you can. I thank him deeply for being that life inspiration to me
Whilst the book does not go into great depth on his classic matches that does not matter as we can all recall them and what is fantastic is the total and unapologetic honesty he displays throughout the book about the the many scraps he got into during his career. Also the heart warming affection he had for his mum and two mum (grandmother)shows the roots of where the type of player he was came from.
For all Connors fans and indeed tennis fans this is an absolute must read.
on 17 November 2014
this book was really good but not brilliant considering the book is quite expensive ,i bought it on kindle form , someone recommended it to me because i love tennis , he,s just what he was like while he was on court ,he says what he thinks ,it was slightly too short but apart from that id recommend it,but, dont buy it if you dont like tennis ,its strictly for tennis fans .
on 14 July 2013
I am Lesley Taylor and I live on the east side of Southampton, England and Jimmy Connors has always been my No. 1 tennis idol! We were both born in 1952 but sadly that is the only thing we have in common - with perhaps the exception of our love of tennis! I was delighted to discover that he has written his autobiography "The Outsider", which I was able to obtain from Amazon for a very competitive price. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. His written work was as compelling as his physical presence on the court, along with his completely unique style of tennis. The insight the book has given me into his life, from when he was little until the present day, has only served to heighten my total respect and admiration of the man, his tennis, and his "what you see is what you get" attitude to everything and everyone! It was fascinating to read about his relationship with so many other tennis players I remember from when I was a little girl. I used to watch Wimbledon with my dad and my brother on our little black and white television from a very young age so when Jimmy hit the circuit, I was well prepared and well versed in the sport! I found the book a little disjointed at times and had to "back-track" once or twice to remind me where he was at, but that did not detract from my total absorption and enjoyment of the book. Even though Jimmy was a naughty boy on occasions (we knew this about him anyway!) it didn't put me off at all and I am just so happy to have had the opportunity to get to know and understand him better. Thank you Jimmy for bringing me so much pleasure and enjoyment over the decades! You have always been (and will always be) my tennis hero! I wish you and your family much happiness and contentment in the coming years.