Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.64

VINE VOICEon 16 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The idea of making your own team of knitted Olympic athletes, either for your children to play with or to display in your home is very cute, especially with Britain going sport-crazy and craft-crazy at the minute. However this book did not quite live up to my expectations.

The knitting patterns inside the book were clear enough, although there's no explanations included - it's not a book for beginners, so you need to already know the basics. There are lots of pictures of the finished athlete dolls, so you know exactly what you're aiming for, but I did find that a lot of the dolls just were not attractive. They had quite empty, depressing-looking faces and I'm not sure that kids would particularly like them. The women look better than the men in general, due to better hairstyles, but even so they are among the uglier-looking toys around. The horse, however, is quite sweet looking!

Bear in mind that there is a good deal of sewing involved too as all the outfits (ie. everything that turns them from a normal doll into an OlympKnit) are not in fact knitted but are sewed together from scraps of fabric. I found this a bit misleading, although some of the outfits do look OK. By far the best-looking outfit belongs to Edward the Equestrian with his top hat and boots.

This is a nice idea for a book, but in practice I'm not sure how many people will want to sit and knit 18 very similar and not particularly pretty dolls. I wouldn't really recommend the book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have always enjoyed crafts, everything from crotchet to embroidery, and I have a number of these knitted toy and dolly books. I admit that I was disappointed when I started to go through the patterns.

The athletes are basically the same doll just with different outfits. These outfits are not knitted like other character knit books, but to be made of separate material, and they are extremely basic; therefore, the patterns for the knitted dollies and the sewn outfits should be good for the beginner as well as the experienced knitter.

But what happens when the games are over? Well you can always change their clothes and make them into your favourite sports team, soldiers, dancers, TV/movie character, etc, or just general dollies for the children to play with.

The book contains colour pictures for easy pattern dollies (and horse) which help you visualise what your quick to make athletes.
Cute and topical book based around a very simple figure- the face has embroidered eyes and a cast-on stitch for a shaped nose.
There are then instructions given for outfits to make a runner, boxers, weight lifter, fencer, karate expert and synchronised swimmers plus a showjumper complete with horse among others. The clothes are fabric and the general appearance is quite basic.
I think it would be a great project book for any teenagers just starting to knit.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My wife is a competent knitter and used the Royal Wedding knitting pattern book last year to knit the Royal family for the local special school. She was going to adapt those mannequins to make some figures that the kids could use this year as they clebrate their own olympics when this arrived. You do need to able to read patterns as there is no basic guide to knitting but my wife is confident that anyone who can knit basic stitches should be able to follow the patterns and make a decent attempt. She even had me making them - under supervision, I'm not usually allowed near sharp objects, but it was in a good cause. These will last beyond the olympics and as another reviewer has said you're only limited by your imagination; using these as a basic template and you'll be able to replicate other sports. Great fun.
on 8 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If knitting were an Olympic Sport, rest assure that my Nan would be a multiple Gold Medallist. For decades she has been knitting dolls for charity and must have made 1000s. Therefore, when I was given the opportunity to test out Laura Long's `Olympknits' there was only one person I wanted to help me - Granny! `Olympknits' consists of several knitting plans for different sporting disciplines from swimming to equestrian (including the horse). As well as a knitting guide the book also contains templates for little outfits to dress the characters in.

From a veteran's point of view the knitting plans and templates were perfect, the book is crammed full of them and anyone confident in knitting can get on with it. For a beginner like myself the plans were a little squashed on the page and didn't always make the most of sense to me. Therefore, `Olympknits' is a book aimed more at the enthusiast knitter rather than the absolute novice.

In terms of presentation the book is a triumph. The ideas for different characters are funny and cute. The photographs of these various dolls are also great with Long putting them in situations that suit their sport e.g. in the pool, or on the track. For the joy of just seeing these images, the book is worth getting for any keen knitter with a passion for sports. They will appreciate the book as a piece of art, but will also be able to make something if they so wish.
VINE VOICEon 24 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am not an experienced knitter so I was not sure if I could manage the projects in this book. It turned out that the little people were fairly simple to knit and fast. It covers most sports and I think the figures would make young and old smile.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this for my 9 year old daughter who has basically taught herself knitting and is growing bored of knitting scarves for her teddies! This book is so cute and really well put together, the ideas are so cute and seem easy enough to understand - though my daughter has had to go on YouTube a couple of times to learn a new stitch or two! She is really enjoying knitting the cyclist for me (a Bradley Wiggins Fan) and is even going to put some sideburns on him when she has finished.

I like the layout of the book and my daughter thinks it is fun and easy to use, so for that it gets 5 stars!
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The patterns in this book are easy to use. They are also really fun....

They are different types of Olympians from swimmers to fencers and also give the patterns to make their clothes...

If you got bored with making them as athletes you could easily use the same patterns to make dolls....so excellent.....
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a fabulous and inexpensive book with a nice variety of good quality patterns. It certainly has a lot of mileage in it with the number of dolls there are to knit, and to top it off you get to enter your dolls in to competition too if you check the Olympknits website. Give them a go! :)
on 26 March 2012
I actually found this book online at the olympknits com website. I bought the book and love it! I will be entering my own doll in the competition online as the prizes are great. The quality of the dolls are a lot better than some of the other books that I have seen.