on 25 January 2012
This is a very good book to give to a boy. Some adults will find it a bit 'folksy' or sentimental in places, but there is as much interesting information in it and (importantly) more good advice about shooting, hunting and life in general than in any other book I know of.

Ruark was a man's man and lived a varied life, he travelled, fought in a war, hunted and drank - often too much. An American, he died aged 49 in London in 1965. He was one of the world's most famous writers in the 1950s and 1960s.

The sequel 'The old man's boy grows older' is also worth reading.
on 9 July 1998
I first read The Old Man and the Boy when I was a youngster growing up in downstate Illinois. My Paternal Grandfather and my Father were in the sporting goods business, and were devout hunters and fishermen. Everything of value that I have retained to this day I learned at the feet of my two "Old Men". While sitting by a lake with a cane pole, waiting for a bluegill to come along, or freezing in a duck blind on the Mississippi River in the cold of winter, I was passed down the rules of sportsmanship and fair play. The kind of lessons that are taught in the Old Man and the Boy are for every generation to learn and cherish; "Clean up your own mess, consider the feelings of others, have respect for the land, water, and the other creatures who share it with us, practice conservation, know when to speak, and how to listen" Robert Ruark has spun a tale of wonder and delight, I highly recommend this book to anyone who would enjoy reading a great series of outdoor adventures, in a format that never talks down to the reader, insults your intellegence, or becomes stuffy. An outstanding book!!!
on 1 July 1999
My husband received this book for a gift right after we married. I had very little understanding of a real hunter and how holidays and seasons joyfully dictated whether he would be on a dove shoot or freezing cold in a duck blind. He and I read this book countless times and always shed a few tears. Ruark's stories and the sage advise of the old man made this young bride appreciate the land and to love and respect a fine bird dog and the desire to make a bird, fish or venison dinner into a Southern culinary delight. His description of Miss Lottie and her fruitcakes and hams at Christmas are so beautifuly written, that without a doubt,you would give it all up to spend one Christmans with the boy,the old man, and Miss Lottie! A hunter's dream of a way of life.
on 5 May 1998
I read the Chinese translation in Taiwan about 20 years ago. It was one of my favorite books. I am really excited to find it here and re-read it in English. What amazes me is how nicely the translation was done. I can see, hear, and smell every scene in this book in both versions. The real amazing thing was when I went to duck hunting with some friends a couple years ago in Indiana. We did exactly what he described in the book! Step by step! (Except that no duck showed up that day so I didn't have to witness the actual killing, which I am not really into.) This book is highly recommended to boys and girls, men and women. In the unlikely case that you can read Chinese, you can get it from the Guo-Yu-Ru-Bou (The Mandarin Daily) Publish Co. in Taiwan.
on 8 April 2000
This book typifies the ideal relationship of a man & his grandson. My husband & grandson read it together, each chapter teaches the boy the philosophy of life. I have read the book a few times, and I think of it when I see my husband & grandson preparing for a day together in the countryside either fishing, shooting or just taking the dogs to train them. When my husband writes to our grandson (Kieron) he always signs himself "the old man". They both have a copy at the side of their beds. I have laughed and I have cried when I have read it. An all time classic and a must for any country loving man and boy
on 9 March 1999
i was first introduced to this book when i was about 10 years old, and i have come back to it countless times in the years since. i have come back to it for humour, for memory, for comfort- all the good reasons why anyone would return to a timeless book. having grown up in eastern north carolina, this book subtlely recalls a landscape of indelible images, images which are only strengthened and developed as i reread Ruark's classic. the small-world adventures of the boy and his grandfather have become inerasable in my memory, and for that i am truly grateful. it is, without a doubt, my favorite book of all time.
on 17 January 1997
This book is the story of Robert Ruark's boyhood days at his gandfather's place in North Carolina. It chronicles the growth of a small boy toward manhood as he learns some of life's important lessons while he learns to handle guns, to fish, to hunt, and to appreciate the beauty of the natural world. His teacher is his grandfather, who becomes his beat friend and mentor. The book gives off an aroma of wood smoke, gun oil, wet dog and pipe tobacco. It has relevance and value in any age, but particularly today, when we have forgotten many of the old truths of America.
I recommend it highly.
on 17 May 1998
I keep coming back to this book over and over. Robert Rourk has created a timeless tapastry of character and feeling which all can learn from. We have all had a person in our life like the old man. The lessons which he teaches to the boy through nature and the nature of man are timeless and can apply to all ages. As a teacher I have used these words to inspire students to make the right choices for the right reasons. The story telling style is approachable by all. A must read!!!!!!
on 14 July 1998
My father fell in love with this book, and had his sons read it as well.It sort of turned out to be the "family book." I will pass this story down as well. This book makes you laugh, and cry. It will make you warm all over and you'll want to go huntin with your dad again. Every time i read this book, i tell my dad, and he always says,"dont read the last chapter." So, i'll tell you the same thing......"Don't read the last chapter."
on 17 November 1997
A story told from the heart and memory of Robert Ruark - You'll smile at the accuracy and humor of the "Old Man's" perceptions - cheer his values - laugh at his sometimes cantankerous nature - feel the warmth of his love for his grandson. I purchased a copy for each of my sons - they treasure them. The "Old Man" is my lifelong hero; He'll be your's too!