on 1 August 2017
A flawless creation which has lost non of it's power. The dvd is also available at an amazing price.

For me the office perfectly captures that documentary feel, right down to the shaky cam and shots going in an out of focus when people move quickly, right then to the perfectly framed tripod shots during the little interviews which are edited in throughout. David Brent is a brilliant creation, a childish, insecure, overbearing boss who's made that dreadful error of wanting to be popular rather than respected. He sees himself as far more than just a boss though but something of a polymath too, someone as comfortable writing music, doing comedy or discussing philosophy as he is running an office. Other characters include Dawn and Tim, two bored young adults trapped in their unsatisfactory lives, neither seem to enjoy their work and their only real pleasure seems to be chatting together and playing the odd joke. Despite Tim's witty jokes and office antics you can see he very unhappy, full of unfulfilled wasted potential, living with his parents while the woman he really wants is unavailable, a university drop out self aware enough to know he's not a success. Other characters include the awkward and unpopular assistant to the Manager Gareth, a guy who takes himself incredibly seriously, manages to get on everybody's nerves and seems to have very poor social skills. Unlike Tim though Gareth takes his responsibilities with the utmost seriousness and seems to look up to David quite a bit. There are many other people too but these are the main 4. New characters are also introduced during season two which slightly changes the power dynamic in the office with David now having a new manager on his case which he doesn't react to well.

The Christmas special is designed to be a follow up returning a couple of years later to see where characters are in their lives. This special begins to touch on a theme Ricky Gervais has returned to in other series, that being the pursuit of fame at any cost and the consequences in our celebrity obsessed culture which leads to comically tragic results.

The show is a masterpiece I felt in poking fun at our insecurities, our vanities, our envy, the office politics, how dull life at work often is, the unfunny colourful characters desperate for our attention, the loneliness of it too, also our self-delusions, our egos, our childishness, all of combined takes on a tragic yet funny effect, with a very high cringe factor...
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2015
David Brent is the well meaning but clueless and incompetent manager of a small paper company in Slough and has allowed a BBC film crew into his office to film a documentary. While not quite up there with the all time great British comedies, it is still one of the best British comedies of the 21st century so far. Excellent performances from Ricky Gervais as the likeable but hopeless Brent who thinks he is the world's best boss and undiscovered comic talent. We've all worked for somebody like Brent at one time or another which is what makes this series so relatable and likeable. There is also excellent performances from Mackenzie Crook as Gareth, Brent's loyal and eager assistant and jobsworth who nobody takes seriously, Martin Freeman as Tim, one of the salesman who loves to wind up Gareth for fun and is in love with receptionist Dawn, another excellent performance from Lucy Davis in a rather sweet relationship plus various supporting characters. My personal favourite being the unnamed male cleaner who never says a word but stops what he's doing and just stares cluelessly at the cameras. It is funny and painful to watch at the same time mainly thanks to Brent who thinks he has to be politically correct all the time yet still manages somehow to offend everyone yet you can't tear yourself away from it. Every first series episode is introduced by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant who wrote and directed every episode with interviews from the cast and celebrity fans of the show which can be interesting to watch but annoying if you want to skip and just watch the episodes giving you insight into how the series was made plus lots of other extras including a pre pilot like a tryout of the series that was never broadcast on TV.
on 25 July 2016
Badly edited package. bought this so my partner could see what she's missed out on. Every episode has a pre-amble though with various people talking about it, even to the point where they talk of the start of the episode.
How annoying. I'm happy to watch these "making of" type extras separately, but when they interrupt the actual film you bought to watch, then you haven't thought things through.
Now I have to fast forward the first few minutes of every episode to get to the actual start, so my wife can watch it without some B-grade celebrity telling me what we're about to watch.
on 11 January 2017
A work of profound genius. A detailed and highly skilled pastiche of social interaction. I have met many David Brents. I have been David Brent.
Watching it I laughed, I cringed, I wept, I mourned. Ultimately I died, like we all must. Its the way of the world my dear friends and fellow earthlings.
on 2 January 2017
This is a superb show shame its only 6 episodes would have loved about 12 or more, this show is pure comedy genius partly because its so down to earth and grounded in an ordinary boring job filled with colourful characters, and the commentary at the beginning of each episode can be skipped to the start of the episode with one click on your remote, the other reviews made such a big deal out of this and give it like 1 star, really?
on 3 April 2013
You'll not find a funnier tv program than The Office. Having given my VHS copies to my dad years ago, I had to rewatch them again, so decided to buy this boxset at the very decent price of £10.

Loved rewatching every minute, and would recommed this to anyone who has or hasn't seen the office.

One gripe; the 5 minute talking head intros are slightly pointless / annoying, but I suppose they had to do something for the 10th anniversary edition.
on 1 July 2014
The most cringeworthy, eye scrunching, close your ears TV series ever to hit the small screen. Oh yes and without doubt the funniest ever. I have watched this time and again and never tire of it. It is without doubt the best TV series of all time.
on 6 January 2017
Love this series. Always had to borrow my parents' box set so had to buy my own. Came all new in packaging.
on 19 November 2017
Good set starting to show it’s age but has not lost any of the fun. If you do nothave this setbget it now at this great price. The extras are worth a watch.
on 9 January 2018