Format: DVD|Change

on 12 September 2013
I am a fan of Jennifer garner from her ALIAS days and have always followed what she's acting in, saw the trailer in cinema and decided to buy the dvd as it looked a very sweet and touching story and the trailer was right. It follows a young couple jennifer garner and joel edgerton stuggles to have their own child and one night after burying small box of notes in the garden a strange thing happens a young boy appears and tells them that their his parents.The story shows highs and lows of the parents raising this boy Timothy and follows through with fun and emotional moments, a nice family film for a lazy afternoon,
on 20 August 2013
Well I had to buy it becuase it is Disney and we try and buy them all.When reading the summary I wwas then really looking forward to it. It is a really lovely story and I thoroughly enjoyed it however I thought there was something missing and that it could have been better. My 8 year old daughter however loves it and has watched it at least 5 times since we bought it last week.
Somehow, I missed hearing about The Odd Life of Timothy Green until just a couple weeks ago. When I started seeing previews, it intrigued me, and the fact that it starred Jennifer Garner sealed the deal. I'm glad I hear about it because I enjoyed it.

After trying for years, Cindy and Jim Green (Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton) have finally gotten the news that they will never be able to have kids of their own. Saddened beyond words, they try to move on with their lives, but Jim decides an exercise might help them. They write down exactly what they would have wanted their child to be on slips of paper and then bury it in the backyard.

That night a storm hits and in the middle of the storm Timothy (CJ Adams) enters their lives. Confused at first, they begin to put the pieces together when they see the leaves on his legs. Are they ready to be parents? And what secrets might Timothy be hiding?

I must admit I was a little worried about how this story might progress, and it quickly became clear early on where things were going. In fact, if I had one criticism, it is that the movie is very predictable.

It also falls more on the drama side of the dramedy line it tries so hard to straddle. I was wiping tears off and on over the course of the entire movie. But that's not to say there were some laughs as well. Many snuck up on me, and the way the actors played them was so perfect that you couldn't help but laugh.

Speaking of the actors, all of them were great. While Timothy is in the title, the story is really about Cindy and Jim, and Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton were so great as the leads. CJ Adams has the unenviable job of making a basically perfect child not sickening, and he pulls it off perfectly. In fact, all three of them walked that fine balance just right, and in the end you wind up loving the characters. The rest of the cast is just as good, further pulling you into the movie.

While this is a PG Disney film, I think it is aimed more at adults than kids. The story is about the mistakes you make as a parent, the things you learn from your own parents and those around you and how all that influences you in your attempts at parenting. While there is plenty of scenes that involve Timothy, I'm not sure that a child will sit through the entire movie. I, on the other hand, really felt for the characters and began to get caught up in their lives. There is also a sub-plot involving the local pencil factory that many kids won't appreciate as much as adults will.

Having said that, the movie is pretty clean. A tiny bit of violence and a could of mild swear words are the main reasons the film gets its PG rating.

And I've got to mention the cinematography. Set in the fall near a small town, there are lots of beautiful shots of nature and the outdoors, including lots of beautiful fall foliage. I know it's not a reason to see a film, but it is a nice bonus.

Ultimately, this movie is about people who touches our lives and what we take from that. It's very much a life affirming film that left me feeling content and very happy to have seen it.

So if you want a life affirming movie that will make you laugh and cry, The Odd Life of Timothy Green is for you.
on 14 September 2015
This is an absolutely fantastic film. It's a very emotional film that keeps you amazed from start to finish. It has an excellent cast and a great story line. I would highly recommend watching this film!.
on 13 September 2013
We all loved this DVD and have watched it over and over again. It is a little sad but my grandchildren love it. I have a great interest in children with special needs and this touches on that subject. Suitable for everyone to watch - with tissues of course!
on 6 January 2016
Lovely family film: we (a whole range of generations) watched it and loved it. It is quite beautifully shot for the most part too - surprising in a Disney-made film aimed at a family audience. Recommended.
on 22 February 2014
I have watched this movie twice . What a really lovely film . Funny emotional and well made . A nice film
on 20 January 2013
Watched this on the aeroplane back from Sri Lanka and was glued to the screen,fabulously written and the lead character was brilliant,bit embarrassing when i burst into tears at one point but if you don't cry at this film you are not normal.
on 18 August 2013
I watched this last night with my boys and wasn't sure if would be any good as I hadn't seen much good feedback but it really was amazing. The cinematography was beautiful as was the music and the story which may sound strange is one of the best I have seen in a while. The whole film just left me with a big smile on my face, even after the tears. I can't recommend this enough, it's so much better than you'd think.
on 16 April 2013
A top quality film coming to the UK cinemas soon. Noticeably with Jennifer Garner in the prime role as the woman wanting a baby (as in 'Juno'). The magical journey is both funny and sad and highly entertaining. This film has broad appeal across all ages. Not to be missed!