on 11 April 2014
The story is well written with great description. Personally for me I didn't feel the haunting coming through enough for me and would have liked it slightly longer [even though it is a short story]. Will be watching for more from the author.x
on 3 September 2014
I thought this short story started out well. A haunted house is a premise that’s been done before, which means originality is harder to find, yet it is also so well known that the setup is easy. This story started out feeling like one of those tall tales you might relate while sitting around a campfire late at night only with more detail and better descriptions.

The narrator (who I don’t think was ever named) and his cousin, Jett, set off to explore the haunted house. The foundation was set, the tension was building, and then I started seeing holes in the story. A room was described as having thirteen walls, which set my mind off on a tangent, trying to picture how that could be and how plausible it was. One second it is so dark that Jett was groping in the dark, trying to find a candle that had gone out, and the next they’re able to see the detail of the candle well enough to see that it had been “stuffed out” with someone or something pushing the wick into the melted wax rather than blown out. Later they sense two “persons” (presumably ghosts) “with the slightest possible distance between them” go by, yet in the next breath the beings have changed directions with the follower “steadily getting closer.” (I thought they were just as close together as possible.)

A ghost story, like any story containing things most of us are certain don’t exist, requires a reader to suspend disbelief. Usually I’m able. Here, with things I couldn’t picture and what seemed like one sentence contradicting the next, I wasn’t able.

The story ends with the narrator making the statement that he wonders “what was reality and what was nervous delusion.” Unfortunately I was wondering the same thing, only way too early.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 October 2014
This short story takes us into the world of a haunted house, where the shadows come to life and an unholy stench hits the human senses with a vengeance. It's a place I would dare not go. But two young lads go there indeed.

The story is well written with good descriptions of events, however I was hungry for more ghostly happenings and more of the scare/chills factor than I got. I thunk more could be added to really make this story one to remember.

What are the secrets the house holds that the lads discover?

Overall it's an easy read, not terribly scary however in my opinion.

I received a copy of this short story from the author in exchange for an honest review! many thanks.
on 7 April 2014
The Number of the House is 13 by T.R. Sutherland

Two cousins decide to spend the night in the creepy house down the block that happens to be number 13. But they are in for a surprise, the house seems to come alive and they are in for the fright of a lifetime.

A great spooky short story. I feel Y/A as well as adults will love this read.
on 27 May 2014
Although short, this tale did have the right ingredients to keep interest until the end. Reasonably atmospheric with a thread of humour.

Good enough for a short story of this kind.