on 7 April 2010
This last weekend I had another go at reading The Noticer by Andy Andrews. The gist of the story is a a guy called Andy meets an old man who notices the smallest details about people. The man, who admits no other name than "Jones", gives Andy advice and the tools he needs to make a success of his life. Years later, Andy encounters Jones again, and tries to find out more about him. He discovers that many people know him under several different names, and he has given life-changing advice to many.

As I began the book, it was enjoyable to read, but a few chapters in I found its structure was very repetitive. Jones offers wisdom and advice to anyone he comes across who finds themselves in a particularly difficult or unfortunate part of life. In this story, every character is going through something, and everybody inevitably has some interaction with Jones.

The idea that Jones brings is that everyone just needs a little perspective. They need to change the way they are viewing their life, the way they look at others, the way they treat their loved ones and those around them. And in each chapter you find yet another example of how changing your perspective will change your life.

I review for BookSneezeFor me it's an over simplified set of stories where you know in every chapter a crisis will be fixed up and resolved. I found the repetition too much and after a number of attempts have stopped trying to finish the book. I feel bad as I was given the book by Thomas Nelson to review, but I feel it's important to be honest in my review, they publish many great books, but for me this one didn't click, in the same way something like Lost on TV never "clicked" with me.
on 25 July 2009
The Noticer tells a story, involving the author, of an old man, Jones ("just Jones, not Mr Jones") visits residents of a village, imparting advice and improving the lives of those he meets on the basis that he is able to 'notice' better than most others.

The Noticer is a simple book. At 156 pages, it is not long. In many ways, it made me feel that it aspired to be written with the impact and success of The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho). If that is the goal, it comes short - it is not as elegantly written, and comes across contrived in comparison. But that is not to say that The Noticer doesn't pack a punch, nor to say that it is not a good book. Different people will likely have quite different opinions about this book, depending on when they read it (actually, it fits very well in today's economic uncertainty).

The book also leaves some uncertainties in the reader's mind. For example, it was unclear to me how much it was intended to be fiction. Andrews also writes about Jones as if he might represent a second coming of Christ, without ever actually mentioning this (Jones 'turns up' in near impossible situations - at sea, behind locked doors, etc.). It's almost as if Andrews was unsure how to complete that part of the story (or giving more credit to Andrews, wanted to leave the reader to decide), but it frustrated me that in the end it seemed to be a lose thread.

Nevertheless, through Jones' meetings we hear how Jones' advice relating to roughly six major themes related to having a better perception of one's own situation, as well as the ability to pass on advice that has been internalized. Here Andrews really succeeds. Each topic is clearly addressed in an entertaining story-telling manner (rather than 'self-help' advice).

The book made me think about my own situation, and I will make changes, hopefully improving my life and those around me. For that, and the fact that the book entertained me for the short while that I read it, the book deserves 4 stars (out of 5).
on 4 March 2014
The author has a great perception for the behaviour of people who have lost direction in their life. He is able to 'read' them like a book & gently help them to change their perspective. Plenty of wisdom!
on 4 April 2014
This book was meaningful, enlightening, touching and spiritual. Lessons that show all of us how easy it is to lose perspective, particularly the right kind of perspective! Read it and you'll see what I mean
on 15 February 2016
Someone gave me The Noticer as a Christmas present. I had never heard of it or the author and I didn't know what to expect. I am very thankful for this gift.

The Noticer is a really insightful and heartwarming story. The people you meet along the way are all very relatable. Jones is an inspiration and his observations get to the heart of the matter every time.

This is a book to be read with an open heart. God really spoke to me as I read it and it helped me in a really good way.
on 7 June 2014
Clever shorter story about a man who is found homeless under a pier by a guy named Jones who seems to know more about the man than he could surely know... and what he shares with the homeless man he has a knack of sharing with others too.

Who is Jones? What's he about? Why are people so attracted to him, yet no-one really knows him?

Made me laugh at points, consider and ponder at others, an encouraging novel that sees the best in people.
on 21 August 2016
This is one of the books everyone should read. The storyline is very engaging and easy to relate to. It is a book that makes you genuinely think about your life and adopt a different perspective. After reading this book I have recommended it repeatedly, I have bought it both in English and other languages for family and friends.
on 26 September 2016
This book makes you pause and think.......changes the way you think even. Most of all, the paradigm shift that perspective gives in the stories is simple and easily applied in any life. I'd like to believe that the stories in this book could potentially change lives!
on 22 September 2014
I'm a fan of the celestine prophecy and way of the peaceful warrior and found this book light but with nuggets of gold. A good read, thought provoking allowing introspection....and perspective!
on 20 February 2010
The Noticer by Andy Andrews has been on my Amazon wishlist for quite a while now, after reading several bloggers who loved it. So when I joined Booksneeze and saw that it was available, I jumped at the chance. This became my bedtime book for a few nights.

The story revolves around the mysterious character known as 'Jones' (or Garcia or Chen - depending on your ethnic origins), who notices things about people; offers them helpful advice about looking at things from a different perspective; and thereby fixing the things that are in their lives.
I notice things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack - perspective - a broader view. So I give them that broader view... and it allows them to regroup, take a breath, and begin their lives again.
Essentially, each chapter follows this pattern and, after a short time, I found this to be predictable to the point of irritation. The advice seemed to be twee, the universal engagement with a stranger dispensing often intrusive advice completely bizarre, and ultimately, this was not an enjoyable read.

I don't like positive such a negative review, especially as my first one for Booksneeze, but honesty requires it.

I should also acknowledge that I rarely read works of fiction. So, maybe, there is one piece of Jones' advice that I will follow.
Other people's experience is the best teacher. By reading about the lives of great people, you can unlock the secrets to what made them great.

I think that I'll stick with biographies at bedtime - at least for a while.