on 4 January 2006
A beautiful book with a fun, adventurous story. My five- year old stares at the illustrations and seems to get lost in them, dreaming. What's more, it is an excellent book for a beginning reader. Its gentle poetic repetitions and highlighted words are a great learning tool. My son chimes in and reads along. And he is also looking at girls in a different light with this book. These girls are cool. No pink princesses for him. He wants his girl friends to be girl pirates!
I recommend this book for both boys and girls.
0Comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2017
Lovely book with lovely illustrations.
My 2yo is mad about pirates and this turned out to be a great bedtime story
on 29 April 2017
Read a lot to our 5 year old... found this book full and story lacking.... much better books out there
on 31 December 2013
This is a great book with lovely pics. I've read this book over the years to my school kids & it always captures their attention!
on 12 October 2005
A pirate tale with a twist - this is a must-have for kids and their parents. Read it a hundred times and you'll see something new on every page. The story is beautifully told - its descriptions of the shimmering moon watching over the night pirates who steal a house and sail away with it to find treasure are fantastic. They remind you of the whispery narration of Oliver Postgate on 'The Clangers' or 'Noggin the Nogg'. But the real beauty of this book is in the illustrations by Deborah Allwright. Brilliant, awe-inspiring, deft and delightful, there's no doubt that they will capture the imaginations of children for decades. Each page shows a magical talent for colour and detail and a great sense of humour. There's no doubt about it, 'The Night Pirates' is setting sail and already becoming a classic. Christmas presents are sorted!
on 18 June 2007
We borrowed this book from the library and didn't want to take it back! The 'rough, tough, little girl pirates' really appealed to my daughter, and she soon knew the story off by heart, even weeks after the book had been taken back! So now she's getting her own copy!
on 19 March 2007
This is another favourite of my children who love the rhythms of the verses in the book along with the wonderful story of a little boy helping girl pirates get treasure from bad pirates with the help of the facade of his house!

The only thing that annoys me is the script being rather hard to follow as it is rather stylised at times
on 15 May 2007
We love this book, its the most wonderful book for night time, my little 3 year old son loves it, we read it by torchlight (every night!), which adds even more atmosphere, and I always have to read it at least 5 times!! He loves the little girl Pirates and the story is really simple and fun for kids! and they have a "little girl pirate whose the captain"!!! you have to get it!!
on 16 May 2007
Our 3 year old daughter loves pirates and it was a delight to find a book that featured girl pirates she could relate to. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is fun although the text is perhaps a little short.
on 13 September 2007
I bought The Night Pirates because my 4-year-old son is fascinated by pirates and I wanted to get him a bed-time story about them - I'm happy to say this book didn't let down either one of us.

The Night Pirates is unlike any other children's book I've come across, both story-wise and visually, too. The story is about Tom, a little boy who wakes up one night to discover that a group of GIRL pirates is stealing the front of his house. Tom joins them in order to steal treasure from Captain Patch and his band of lazy, scared grown-up pirates (the front of Tom's house is used to hide the approaching pirate ship from the adults).

Deborah Allwright's illustrations are absolutely wonderful, both groups of pirates being especially memorable. The layout of the pages is a departure from the usual, with the text scattered all over the pages and different font-styles being used.

I would highly recommend The Night Pirates to all children over the age of three. It's not a very long story, it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to read it without interruptions. However, in our household, it takes much longer, with my son repeating various bits of text and wanting to stop to look at and discuss the illustrations.