Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.22

on 4 November 2011
The Mutagenic Cycle is a collection of short sci-fi stories with a strong mutant theme. James White is a very accomplished and creative author. His style of writing is self-assured and confident, showing he has a clear understanding of the worlds and environments he has created. Each story delivers an interesting, unexpected tale using sophisticated language and ideas.

Unfortunately, not being a regular sci-fi reader I found the genre struggled in short story form. White is undoubtedly a very talented, creative writer but as I made my way through each story I found it was over before I had chance to acclimatise myself to the setting.

Sci-fi enthusiasts will undoubtedly love this book and the rich, original stories within, whereas novices to the genre might struggle to immerse themselves in the short plots. This book however is a good cross section of what White can deliver as a writer and I think if he took any of his stories and converted them into full novels he would probably earn himself 5/5 each time, unfortunately snippits of potential left me wanting.