Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 September 2014
Gavin and Emma live in an Independent Scotland some years in the future. This book was published in 2010 when to most of us, Scottish Independence probably still felt fairly fictional. Emma works for the Scottish government and is concerned about the effects of climate change. Gavin is an archaeologist and spends more time with their teenaged children than Emma can. Gradually, the authorities take draconian measures and Emma, opposing them, is edged out of her job. When things get out of hand, the couple’s son Dan becomes involved with an environmental group and gets himself locked up. Climate change makes violent weather and eroded coastlines and rivers commonplace. It’s a bleak looking future!

I really enjoyed this book. Whatever your feelings about the current debate, you will enjoy the humour in here. I loved things like the recent epidemic of flamingo flu! Warmer weather doesn’t just affect the polar bears. The story is told alternately from Emma’s and Gavin’s viewpoints and although at the beginning they appear to be a couple growing apart, the family comes through in the end. I love a bit of speculation, especially when it both makes me think and makes me laugh!
on 29 September 2012
Good plot and bit of a page turner but not at all well written. At times so contrived it felt like a Disney film and also got very confused with events appearing to follow on immediately but later becoming clear there were weeks between. If it had been less amatuerish it could have been very good as there were some excellent ideas and plot events which held promise but never really delivered.
on 5 January 2012
I really enjoyed this. I've not been to Scotland and so don't know the geography, but could picture the newly evolving "features", like the ragiing river at the bottom of the garden.

As a side note, we'd visited Barry on the weekend where a nearby cliff had recently collapsed leaving caravans dangling over the edge and we could see it from there. And it was tipping down with rain and blustery

So it was things like that that I was envisioning. Actually, I was so caught up in the story I was reading it in the car on the way there.

Again with the geography, it seemed like Gavin was covering a lot of land. It took him and Jen a long time to get to the hut and hardly any to get back to Edinburgh.

As a future, this story sounded quite plausible. Rules and regulations at each turn, it was quite scary. It seems it was easy for one rule to follow another until it got out of control.
on 29 April 2012
I really enjoyed this book from start to finish.

The Mountain and the Flood is set in the near future. We read the story from the alternate points of view of Gavin and Emma. I really like the descriptions of new laws and events starting as early as 2015 for example. While a few of these laws made me chuckle, you could totally imagine this story happening within your own lifetime - And that made it slightly chilling too!

Don't be put off by the climate change backdrop - there's no preaching here, just good storytelling.

If you like books like John Wyndham's The Chrysalids (or even Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale), then I think you'll like this book too.
on 18 July 2012
I loved the family in this book as they battle with climate change, society gone mad plus their own teenage/parent relationships. Set in the not too distant future, serious subjects are dealt with in a dryly humorous, tongue in cheek manner creating a fun, scary and enjoyable read. As I sat reading during an unseasonal cold, wet summer moving to higher ground and stocking up on emergency supplies seemed a very good idea!
on 18 July 2012
This book starts off as an interesting eco-thriller. How do people live in a totalitarian regime that is struggling with climate change? At times it is very thrilling and a real page turner. However it loses it's way and ends up being concluded with some amazing good fortune and co-incidence and leaves some key strands of the story undeveloped.

I think that the author also intends it to be a bit of a scare story about Scottish Independence. There are a number of references to the negative aspects that the characters face being as a result of Scotland becoming independent.
on 14 July 2012
This dystopian adventure is a bit out-of-genre for me, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

I did find some of it a bit contrived - people arriving in the nick of time, and that sort of thing; but it never verged quite into ridiculousness.

A lot of the locational storyline was a bit lost on me, but I suspect you would particularly enjoy it if you were from the Edinburgh area.