Customer reviews

The Moth's Kiss
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 7 December 2017
A collection of tales which are creepy, atmospheric, full of subtle tension and building horror. I found myself comparing some of them to the masters of this genre, in a book I love, 'Classic Tales of the Macabre', which contains stories by such authors as Edgar Allan Poe, Robert Louis Stephenson, Bram Stoker and H.P. Lovecraft. Here within the pages of Vivienne Tuffnell's book, I found the same elegant measured prose, the same powerful sense of unease and encroaching, invisible presence. A superb collection of stories.
on 21 March 2016
Some horror stories are full on, in your face, all monsters and demons and blood. Others are far more subtle. A hint of the supernatural, a whiff of the strange, a creeping sense of dread. And perhaps a perfectly rational explanation, if all the facts were known. Or perhaps not.

But the end results can be just as bloody.

Which sort of story is the most unsettling is really a matter of individual taste. But it is the second sort that you will find in this collection - and it is something that the author excels at.

My favorite was probably 'Green Willow', which ended on a hopeful note. Or perhaps 'A fragrance of Roses' - a story without explanation, but which generates a powerful atmosphere. But the one that may stay with me longest is 'Black Hole', which might have me looking twice at suspicious marks on the carpet.

If you like to be able to leave your horror stories behind in the book, then this might not be for you. But if you don't mind the lingering thought that perhaps there is something lurking just out of sight, a different and darker reality waiting to reach out for you, then you should try these short stories!
on 16 May 2013
This collection of short stories by Viv Tuffnell kept me company over two nights whilst on holiday in the Lake District. Not your standard holiday reading, I was very lucky that I wasn't sleeping alone...

Not straightforward ghost stories, or simply tales tapping into those things that horrify us all, these dip into some very dark places of the soul and one or two of them certainly had me feeling quite 'freaked out' - especially 'The Devil's Pet' which is genuinely scary. Other tales send a shiver down the spine as they open up possibilities of revenge, of attack or of simple evil that I had never previously thought of. I will certainly not think of willow in the same way ever again...

The author has obviously enjoyed exploring the darker side of her imagination and she transmits that to the reader even in the darkest tales. I loved the ride she takes us on!
on 12 October 2016
Fantastic short stories. Each one very different which shows how imaginative and creative the author is. The atmosphere she creates is so vivid that you really feel that you're part of the story. Quite a few really did send a shiver down my spine in the way an M.R. James story would. Excellent!
on 3 May 2016
I'd prefer three and a half stars, as it's more than "okay". Some of the stories are really haunting and spine chilling, and all are a good read. I like the element of nemesis in several of them, though one could argue that that theme is slightly repetitive. My other criticism of this author is that just a few passages lose immediacy and become "tell" not "show", though they quickly regain their strength, and I wonder why she didn't pick this up on a re-read and beef such passages up. But they all keep you hooked!
on 4 July 2013
I really enjoyed this collection of dark tales by Vivienne Tuffnell. Although the subject matter is varied, there is a common spirituality running through each story. I was reminded of Tales of The Unexpected by many of the stories and hope to read more from the talented author soon.
on 3 October 2013
Original, highly imaginative, and sometimes very creepy! Thoroughly enjoyed every story. So much so, I'm going to read through again. This is the third book I have read by this author and she never disappoints.
on 1 July 2013
A collection of short stories, not to be read at night when you're home alone. Wonderfully written, edge of your seat, proper page turners make this book unputdownable. It's one of those I'll read again and again and I have recommended it to family and friends. Thank You Vivienne for giving me another favourite read.
on 7 July 2013
This author can WRITE. She'll put you right into the character's head until you lose all sense of yourself and become that person.

"The Moth's Kiss" consists of short stories that definitely lean toward the creepy side, with a twist at the end. Just when you think you know what's going on -- you may find out that you didn't. And the hair on the back of your neck will be standing up. These aren't "ghost stories" -- rather, they are tales dealing with ordinary life that suddenly becomes extraordinary.

These stories are to be read slowly and savored. And you might not want to turn the lights out afterwards.
on 26 May 2013
This collection of short stories is so well written, with such a skilled use of language, that you are engaged and drawn in to even the shortest.
Unsettling rather than frightening, each story brings an unease and whatever your particular bête noire, there's something here for you.