I must admit that I have heard of Cat Royal, but I have never read any of the books before. Seeing this on offer I thought why not give it a go. I must admit that I found myself enjoying this novella.

Cat Royal and Billy Shepherd are travelling on the slave ship Dolphin, which is transporting goods back to England. It is the summer of 1792 when this takes place, and the Dolphin is looking for a port to call in after a storm, and so they make for the Azores. Whilst there they are invited as guests to stay at a wealthy home, but when the theft of an expensive telescope takes place then our intrepid duo set out with the youths of the household to solve the crime.

Taking in astronomy and a discovery, as well as the crime this is an enjoyable read that may appeal to the whole family.
0Comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2011
A fun short story carrying on the adventures of Cat Royal.

It definitely helped having read the previous books, as I knew the characters and understood the references to their back stories. However I think it can also stand alone for those who haven't read the other books.

I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.
on 14 January 2011
This is a short story/novella. The synopsis given by a previous reviewer gives a good outline of the story, so I won't repeat that.

This was a very enjoyable read. The story is well-written and quickly draws you in. Despite the short length, the two main characters are well-developed. The plot is fairly slight but the quality of the writing is excellent.

At is current price (nothing) it is as good a bargain as you are ever likely to get.
on 4 April 2015
I can't work out whether this was written for children? It took me half an hour to read and the writing style is very childlike and the story doesn't go anywhere very much. Now that I've come back to read the synopsis it says it was written about an 18th century character - but it's not clear from the book itself, although it hints at that era.

But we are supposed to believe that a woman in presumably long skirts, with trousers underneath, is able to climb to the top of a ship's mast. Errr, right. That I'd like to see.

And I'm not sure how it's an adventure - all she does **small spoiler alert** is turn up on an island (for repairs to the ship), gets offered a room by a well off family and helps locate a missing item. With all that excitement I need a sit down.

As I'm writing this review I feel like it's coming across as if I'm sneering at the author....but I'm still puzzled as to what audience it's intended for. Is it a badly written adult book or intended as a children's book. I'm none the wiser - but won't be reading any more.
on 29 June 2013
If you are already a Julia Golding / Cat Royal fan, then I am sure you will love this for what it is, a short, sharp, enjoyable interlude between the previous and the following main adventures of Cat and her theatre world pals. However, if you are new to the series, then equally, I am certain most of you will scratch your head at this. But seeing as I am a fan, and know there's more meaty literary meat to be had before and after, then I am happy with it, up to a point. Do bear in mind though, it seems (and only seems, I could be wrong), that the author and publisher most probably due to the book's lack of length and depth, are keeping this a permanent ebook freebie, so in any event for those who do not like it, they've not wasted any dosh.

Anhyoo. . .

Cat and the nefarious Billy are hitching a ride, well, a sail actually, on the Dolphin, back to England, but a rough passage and resulting damage sees an emergency anchoring in the Azores. Here, Cat and Billy hook up with a nice merchant family, the Flanders', and in particular, brother and sister Mabel and Peter, who are keen astronomers and have recently acquired a then state-of-the-art telescope, and it is this which provides the little meat the tale has.

Because it is lightweight, I can only give this three stars, but it is a short, sharp, enjoyable three stars worth. But - do get the rest in the series, they are the thing.
on 19 August 2012
When i first started reading this book i thought i was going to put it down and out of sight, however i found that the more i read the more i wanted. the storyline leads you through so many intriguing places and sets you thinking is this possible. i thoroughly enjoyed this book
on 9 March 2013
I'd never heard of this series before but as it was free thought I might as well give it a go. However, I was greatly puzzled by the story, not because the plot was confusing, in fact that was too predictable, but because I found it hard to believe that it was set in the 18th Century; there was no atmosphere and the language was far too informal. Even though Cat is not the typical 18th century genteel lady, she is portrayed as far too modern - more this century, than the 18th. It just didn't work for me and I certainly won't be reading any more in this series.

Definitely one to miss.
on 10 June 2011
Despite it appearing initially to be a play, this is in fact written as a normal book - and very well written too. It is a pleasure to pick up a book and get immediately into a story being told by a good story teller rather than someone trying to impress with esoteric language. Don't be put off by it being a period drama it is fast paced with very little dated language.

The story is very simple. A ship stops at an island, there is a crime, the crime gets solved. As it is a fairly short story it would be unfair to say any more.

An ideal story for a flight with your kindle.
on 4 March 2011
This is a short story written from the view of a woman; "Cat Royal". It deals swith the interactions between her, her companion "Billy Shepherd" and the people they meet. It's set in the late 18th century, although written recently, and it tends to stick to more modern language use, with a few colloquialisms thrown in at various stages.

I found the book really easy to read. I haven't read any other of the works by this author, so don't have the advantage of knowing very much about the characters, but still I managed to learn enough about them to build an understanding of how and why they react in the way that they do. The dynamics between Cat and Billy are a little bit intruiging; I'm not quite sure of their relationship, and there are hints of more to be revealed within other stories.

As a teaser, it works quite well; certainly I would be interested enough to try and find some of the other stories.
on 2 August 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I would not normally read this sort of book, but once I started reading, I could not put it down. I found it very informative, loved it, would recommend.I would give it 8 out of 10