Format: Paperback|Change

I just did not "get" this book at all. Whilst the idea was a good one and original and I had been looking forward to reading it, the main character Jenny seemed to do nothing but whine, whine, whine and bitch, bitch, bitch for a great part of the book, so that to be honest I can really understand why her husband went out for cigarettes and didn't come home again. By the time the "main event" kicked in and the story moved on, I had really lost interest in Jenny completely. As a mother of two, 20 months apart, i know how hard it is as a new mother but instead of sympathising with her, I just wanted to slap some sense into her and remind her she had two little ones who needed their mother to get her act together.

Cutting out a lot of the constant complaining about everything and everyone, and cutting to the main chase sooner would have made it a much better read.
on 27 June 2013
An interesting take on what happens to a mentally fragile mother with two very young children when her husband suddenly decides not to come home from work one day, but to disappear without trace.
A story of how she copes and becomes stronger.
on 20 September 2013
This was a free download so thought I would give it a go.
it was good but to be honest I have not read anything else like this before took me a bit t get into the flow however did keep me hooked right till the end.
on 2 March 2014
Really liked the characters in this story and in particular the Russian mermaid (though she would hate that description). A very thoughtful and thought provoking book, set against the backdrop of a sultry summer in Brooklyn.
on 15 January 2014
What a good book, everyone will relate to at least part of this book. Read it in a day, just couldn't put it down. Looked for more by the same author but she has only written one more and it's not on Kindle yet.

Look forward to her next novel.
on 5 May 2013
Best book I've read in a while. Really different yet utterly believable with amazing characters you both believed in and rooted for. Also uplifting
on 24 May 2013
Not at all sure what this book was about. I got very confused and eventually put it down half read.
on 18 July 2013
My baby (youngest of 4, so we could never have managed in Brooklyn!) is now 18 years old, but so much about the book, especially the struggle with the fist 2, is universal! We always had a garden, so the children could always play outside with less supervision. Our dog arrived on the screen when the youngest was 3 and was very well behaved, thankfully, but then she, too, had a garden to play in! The park scenes reminded me of the times I took the children to parks in London when I visited my parents who lived there.

Really good read. Thank you, Amy.
on 15 November 2013
Really lovely fairytale type story, easy to read and lovely storyline lovely characters would recommend to family and friends. Just lovely
on 28 August 2014