Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Ed Sheeran on Amazon Music Shop now Shop now

on 15 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I found myself totally immersed in the Victorian story, at the same time eager to uncover the truth behind the Wedding Certificate. It's a fascinating plot, with lives and events being revealed in a simple narrative style which I felt made it all the more realistic and emotional. I was impressed by the amount of research which must have gone into the book and how the author has managed to mix historical fact, human emotion and modern genealogical techniques into one brilliant story.
on 9 May 2013
Although not a thriller in the usual sense, I found it as gripping as one and didn't want to put it down! Interesting subject matter and a very welcome change from the usual topics books are written around. Thoroughly recommend it. A great read.
on 13 November 2013
I bought this book on a recommendation from an acquaintance.
While the subject matter was of interest initially the author soon got bogged down in detailed explanation, which became quite tedious after a while.
I found an error in this detail which then had me wondering exactly what else might be incorrect and in the end I gave up caring about the characters and the outcome. I persevered until the end but even the last minute "beat the clock" scramble left me cold.
On the whole this was an interesting plot idea that was suffocated by too much minutiae and poor execution.
on 26 July 2013
This book was engaging both due to the family history that forms the story's core, and the genealogical methods used to discover that history. Whilst the family may itself be fictional, the author writes of its members with such authority and knowledge of his subject that it is easy to see this as almost a universal tale of ancestry.
Although I feel that the plot drags a little towards the middle, it quickly picks up pace again and leads to an interesting finale.
A great deal of research has clearly been done, particularly with regards to dates and the nature of the Boer and First World wars. The writing style suits the content insofar as it is straightforward and designed to further the plot, rather than lingering for too long on descriptive detail.
It is a book well worth reading.
on 30 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book. As a keen amateur genealogist myself, I could really relate to how addicted Peter became with trying to solve the mysteries he was uncovering as the result of buying an old marriage certificate that had caught his eye on an antique stall. The story was very well-written, and the characters believable, and I was gripped from start to finish! I hope the author will write some more novels on this sort of subject. Highly recommended.
on 4 March 2016
Quite interesting to see how to go about tracing ancestors, and the historical chapters felt accurate, but the writing is not the best. At times it felt rather clumsy, clichéd and forced. Interesting, and somewhat entertaining. There's a twist in the tail, but you can see it coming a mile off.
on 10 November 2013
Great to see some genealogy fiction/mystery books out there.
I loved "The Marriage Certificate" and could well relate to Peter Sefton each time the postman arrived bring envelopes containing birth, death or marriage certificates.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, loved the suspense and the surprise at the VERY end was something I'd contemplated while
reading the book but had forgotten when I got more and more involved with the story.
Only problem is that there is, so far, not another book by Stephen Molyneux to read. I hope "The Marriage Certificate" is the first in a series.
on 22 August 2014
Reads like a school essay. The plot sounded fascinating and as a genealogist, I enjoy these types of stories. I really wanted to like it but the laborious explanations made me something I rarely do; give up on a book part way through.
on 20 May 2013
This was such an interesting read. I read it in one sitting, and was gripped by the historical background, interlaced with modern research techniques. The story bowls along, releasing its secrets in a most entertaining way, and building up to a surprisingly tense denouement. Highly recommended!
on 8 June 2013
Not my usual choice of read, nevertheless, the element of mystery, believable characters, storyline and historical context kept me hooked to the end. This is an easy read and highly recommended for anyone interested in genealogical research.