on 28 December 2011
I struggled to understand where Mark was going with this book
. If you want an In depth look at training and equipment then look elsewhere .
Mark touched on the subject of eating foods and how the body absorbs them., but just as I was getting into that hechanged direction .personally I wish Mark had given me much more info on this plus equipment and training . He spent far to much time covering his time In London and his jobs . Then again I also wish he had given more to the characters he shared I'n his tent . This is where I could not understand where the book was going .it read like a novel in places , and to his credit enjoyed the yarn ..

Overall. I read it all and enjoyed it .
on 28 April 2012
I bought this book as one of the first things I did in my MdS preparation and although there are useful bits and pieces in here I must admit that it is a rather boring read. If all you are looking for is information about MdS then stick to the various websites and try to find an MdS veteran to ask all your questions instead. A much better alternative is to do one of the many MdS training camps available.
on 14 September 2011
I am compeating in the Marathon Des Sables next year and read this book a few months ago. Although the Authors style of writing takes a bit of getting used to, I really got into it and it is a fantastic read with some very funny parts! I deffo recommend this book if you have any interest in taking part in the MDS.
on 29 May 2014
Fascinating book, highly recommend it, brilliant first hand account of the build up and the event itself, makes you almost want to try the MdS challenge!
on 10 August 2011
Well done Mark Hines.......didn't want to put this book down! Felt like I was part of the race. Will be looking to read some of your other titles.
on 21 June 2011
An absolute must read. An honest piece of writing from someone who actually has done the race. Makes you want to sign up straight away.
on 17 September 2011
Great read
I am running the MDS in 2013 and this has been a very useful insight into what it takes to train for (and finish) the race
on 21 June 2012
Great read, entered for the MDS 2014 and can't wait. Would advise to any future or past runners... Thanks Mark! Scott.
on 19 September 2015
Has made me step up to ultra- distance and stage races!
on 26 December 2014