Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.80

on 11 November 2013
Interesting story. I liked the idea of this book, and would give the story 4 stars. I however hated the lack of speech marks. I found it made the book difficult to read, there were times when i had no idea if someone was speaking or thinking something are other times when it wasn't clear if the same person was speaking, or someone new. This is why i have given the book 3.5 stars. I did however enjoy the story enough to finish it.
on 29 December 2013
Whilst I enjoyed this book as it got going the biggest problem that I had was having actually really gotten going, and moving well - it just suddenly goes "bang" jumps forward and then ends (as a result it's shorter than you imagine even with the detail on Kindle!) Without flogging a dead horse this could've gone much further and been great, but it's ending let it down in my opinion.
on 24 February 2014
The story is rather a good one, but the writing style slightly lets it down I'm afraid. The lack of punctuation makes it difficult at times to distinguish what is narrative and what is spoken. The style can sometimes also be condescending. The story is rather short, and it takes a rather long time to get started before ending quite abruptly. The children also act above their age, while the adult (main character) acts like a spoiled teenager. I still enjoyed the book thanks to the story line and the details about the "space station" and its us but it could have been better.
on 25 April 2013
It didn't take me long to finish this book - the length of a train journey to London - but that's not because it was a short tale, or a skip-along read. I got very caught up in the author's (not-so-distant) futuristic world and in the moral and ethical thought processes and dilemmas that it threw up. On the surface, it's a simply written narrative, with four 'heroes', operating in a restricted and restrictive environment, which keeps the story 'compact'. The language is easy to read and I wasn't sure at first if the book was aimed at an adult readership or not; the main protagonist is an adult, but there are also two young children and an Artificial Intelligence. On reflection, events and some sexual allusions later in the story probably place it in the 'young adult' camp, but adults will enjoy it, too. I'd put it on a par with 'The Hunger Games' trilogy in tone and dystopian setting - and plenty of adults have read those with pleasure! The characters are well drawn, with credible narrative voices and all in all, it's a good read. I think the author might be planning sequels, but I enjoyed it purely as a one-off, and I liked the way in which the story ended on a positive but open-ended and uncertain note. 'The Man Who Ended the World' can certainly stand alone and be read as a single volume. I like to imagine for myself what might happen to the characters after they leave the scrap yard, and I don't necessarily want the author to tell me in future books!
on 30 May 2014
I really enjoyed the story of Henry and Clarissa. This is a well written book, with a good pace. I enjoy end of the world novels and this one is a little different. I would recommend this book. Buy it!
on 24 February 2014
Speech marks, anyone? Not a bad story, and reasonably well written, but the distinct lack of speech marks can make it a difficult and sometimes confusing read.
on 25 February 2014
I read this recently out of a boxed set it was in called Taste of Tomorrow. While it was written in a straightforward, simple manner, it flowed well and kept me reading until the end. I know that the technology seemed a little advanced for the contemporary setting, but I think it scared me a little because no doubt there are people out there in the world like Stephen Glass with enough money to quite literally do what they wanted, in this case to end the world and see what happened. While most of the story was a bit of a guessing game between the children hiding away inside Stephen's underground base and Stephen himself, it felt more like a character study of the main character, as well as that of the A.I., Stacey. A good read and one I would recommend.
on 24 November 2013
It is so untrue. The main characters are supposed to be 11 years old yet act a lot older. The story is so awful .don't bother reading it
Sepevents
on 25 January 2014
Good story! Liked the characters. Looking forward to the next instalment (you are writing the follow-up aren't you?), I'd like to see how the survivors get together and how the children grow up
on 3 January 2014
Fast paced and written with great lucidity this novel is well worth a read. The characters are exquisitely drawn by the author and his descriptive account of time and place is exemplary.