Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

I really liked this film. I saw it on TV and then again on DVD which I enjoyed even more without the interruptions of adverts.
The film does have an uncomfortable edge to it in so much as the depressing horror of murder. And there is great sadness in the loss of the murdered teenager Susie. But this film has more than just a murder story.

We see Susie Salmon from a little girl right up to the time when as a teenager she is murdered by a neighbour.
She finds herself in a world between the mortal world and heaven. A world where it is neither one thing or another.
She reflects back over her life and events of the terrible murder and is pulled to her family through the emotional pain they go through and as she struggles to cope with everything she has to learn to let go and move on towards the light of heaven. We see that death is part of life. And we are reminded about what is really important here in this life.

This is a haunting and heartbreaking story that unfolds from heaven, where life is a perpetual yesterday. Everyone has his or her own version of heaven. It can be what we want it to be. Susie's version is part of her simplest dreams.
This is a sort of coming of age story. Susie clings to the world of the living as she struggles to accept her death. She watches her family disintegrate in their grief. Her father becomes pre occupied with finding the killer. Her Mother is in denial and withdraws. And Susie watches her sister go through the milestones of the teenage life she was supposed to have. The story is a sentimental journey of loss, love and faith.

The idea of a murdered teenager caught in a between worlds place as she watches over her friends and family cope with her death and her own struggle to fight feelings of revenge is not so negative as one might think.
Instead we see the afterlife world through fabulous special effects with glorious imagery. We see the love of a family that transcends disaster and grief. The love that can always be there for all eternity. We see how through that love, and the glory of heavenly love that it is possible to let go and to move on as best we can.

As for the murder thread there are little moment of development with regard to the killer but the ending proves that this film is not the ordinary murder horror story with a predictable conclusion.
Instead I felt that the murder although a heavy feature is not what the film is really about. The film asks what is really important. The death or the love? Our lives here on earth are just a moment of time in the grand order of the universe. Our lives touch others. There are threads that cross each other and there are moments when we share good and bad with others. Loved ones can always be with us through those moments of love for each other even when they are not physically with us. Love can be there without actually ever getting to say I love you.
Susie and her family struggle to bring the killer to justice. Love unites and negativity destroys. So in the end everyone has to let go. And without giving anything away everything comes right in the end.

The film has great originality and imagery and shows life as raw as it can be, as well as a life after in a heavenly existence as I hope it will be. Susie moves on to heaven and her family move on with their lives.
The movie is quite long and it can seem gloomy and slow but don't be put off. This is a film that requires thought. It has originality.
I had originally read the book by Alice Seebold a few years ago. It was very different and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a murder story but with a difference as it is being told by the victim - Susie.
I am glad that I had read the book first becuase in reading you use your imagination to conjure up the picture/
The Film is very good and well complements the book.
Given that it is the sort of murder that could happen in real life, I feel that the Censor attached should be for an older age group and not for children as young as 12.
It is a very good film, but in my opinion read the book first and then at a later date watch the DVD.
on 30 May 2017
I have never read the book so viewed this with no prior expectations. I now rate this among my favourites.
on 5 March 2017
Beautiful film, with an incredible soundtrack. Don't watch if depressed.
on 20 June 2017
Nice film quick delivery thank you
on 21 June 2017
Great condition
on 24 June 2017
Sad film but brilliant.
on 31 March 2017
So good
on 15 May 2017
What a beautiful ethereal film. I especially like the special effects with the cinematography. The music is very haunting by the Cocteau twins. I absolutely loved this film.
on 4 September 2016