Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 7 July 2008
I had this on pre-order from Amazon as I'd loved GOING HOME and HOPELESS ROMANTIC, but this is definitely Harriet Evans's best novel yet. It's as witty and warm as her debut, as romantic as her second, but somehow this is more accomplished and grown-up. I even cried.

Kate is living in New York & running from her past. Something made her flee her former life in London three years ago, and The Love of Her Life takes you back to find out why. The flashbacks to 'This Life' era London are brilliantly done - they start as light nostalgia for those post-university entry level job days & before long you're utterly gripped as you race to the end to find out what went so horribly wrong.

Despite Evans's trademark humour, it's a heartwrenching read at times, so thank goodness for the happy (but not implausible) ending. I'm putting her next novel on pre-order right now.
on 11 July 2008
I have read all Harriet Evans's books so far and I thought it would be difficult for her to improve on A Hopeless Romantic. But she has.
I raced through the first half of The Love of Her Life, desperate to understand Kate, and to get to the bottom of the mystery around the tragedy that had made her run away to a new life in Manhattan. Harriet Evans does this part of the novel masterfully, keeping the reader on tenterhooks, switching cleverly between the past and the present, so you keep wondering all the time how, why, when??? It is edge of the bed stuff - I actually exclaimed out loud when I found out the big crisis event that changed all the characters lives.
The book has all the ingredients you want from classy commercial fiction - the lightness of touch, the evocation of place (you can smell the seasons in The Love of Her Life), the emotional core of deep friendships that stand up to everything life throws at them, and of course a man you are desperate for your heroine to love and be with. But the best thing in this novel is Kate, the heroine herself. This is where you discover more wisdom, experience and deftness of touch in the writing. Kate is such an adorable and believable mixture of insecurity and vulnerabilities whilst clearly being one of the most loveable, clever people around. You want to be her friend and once you meet her you are on her side and that is where you stay for the rest of the story. You laugh, you cry, and you believe in it all, because it is never predictable.
Harriet Evans is the true heiress to Marian Keyes's throne.
More please!
on 22 August 2008
This is the first book I've read by Harriet Evans, and I loved it. I want to read her other novels now. This book cleverly switches between past and present, London and New York, and tells Kate's story. I was gripped early on, wanting to know what happened to Kate in the past, to make her as she is when we first meet her (sad and distant). You can tell she has been hurt, and little hints here and there keep you compelled. I guessed something of what happened to her, but one incident really surprised me. As the plot unravels you come to understand Kate more and more. The sense of place, along with Evans' description and insights, play a major part in making this a wonderful book. It's poignant, and hard hitting in parts, but there is also joy to lighten the mood.
on 28 July 2008
I'd never read anything by Harriet Evans - I was lured by the cheap price and the reviews that have popped up in all the magazines I read. I ended up reading it in two sittings.

The beginning was frustrating for me, as you slowly get given some clues as to what went on and why Kate's in New York. once you get past that and the whole story comes out, it's so built up you actually gasp. Later in the book I was crying, and by the end I was smiling.

It's not the most original of stories - several books have similar stroylines - but it is well written, with a likeable heroine and several twists and turns. Well worth the read, and I'll be passing it onto my friends.
on 16 September 2008
Having read A Hopeless Romantic and enjoyed that I bought "the love of her life". I found it a totally different read. It took me a while to get into the book as I was not totally taken with the flashbacks at first, but understood they were necessary to the plot. Katy and Mac are good characters and then the "evil" characters Charly and Sean. The book is one you have to give a chance and having done so really enjoyed it! It had my heart racing in anger and then tears of sadness all within a couple of chapters. Wonderfully written and I can honestly say Harriet Evans is now one of my favorite Authors!!! Looking forward to her next book.
on 7 July 2008
I read The Love of Her Life in one day, which was not at all my plan, but I really had to know what had happened to make Kate run away to New York, and hide from her London life and friends and abandon the career she had built up for herself... what had she done that was so dreadful that she couldn't face up to it, or herself, or the man who might have been the love of her life? When Kate's father is seriously ill, she has to come back, and see her friends for the first time in years, and she can hardly bear it. This is an accomplished book that keeps the mystery of what happened in the past going as it hooks you in to liking Kate more than she likes herself, and longing to know that she'll be able to sort it out and find a happy ending. Heart-rending, romantic, funny, believable, compulsively more-ish, The Love of Her Life will make you happy.
on 14 March 2011
'The Love of Her Life' is the chick lit book that will capture the heart of all it's readers. The novel tells the story of Kate who, under circumstances is forced to return home to London to visit her sick father. She is reunited with an old neighbour and friends but there is something about the reunion haunting Kate. It isn't until the flashbacks are introduced in the book, do you start to build a picture of what happened and what is causing Kate so much pain. In the middle of it all is Mac, the man who she knows to be the love of her life but can't commit to because of what caused her to leave London in the first place. But Mac isn't the type of character to walk away from a fight.

Evans has created a jam packed plot filled with love, heartbreak, laughter and sheer joy. Anybody who reads this will find it impossible not to relate to Kate in some way. And as for Mac, there isn't a woman out there who wouldn't dream of having a man like that.

Definately worth buying!!
on 18 August 2008
I was browsing Tesco when I came across 'The Love of her life' and after having read through the contents of my bedroom at least twice I decided to take the chance and it certainly paid off. From the moment I started I just didn't want to put it down. I found myself sympathising with Kate the whole way through and I loved how the story unfolded and I was rooting for her and Mac the whole way through. I couldn't help but relate it to my own life.

I am now going to buy every Harriet Evans novel there is...she's capitvated me!

I've now leant it to a friend who is also totally in love with it!

Best book I've read in ages!
on 3 July 2015
Kate is living in New York & is try to escape her past. Something happened London three years ago, and The Love of Her Life takes you back to find out why. You get flashbacks(This Life) era London and I must say the are written very well - they start as light nostalgia for those post-university & before long I was so caught up in the story I could not put the book down. Very good read.
on 21 September 2013
This tells the story of Kate who ran away to New York after a terrible accident 3 years ago, and is now back in London. It then follows her as she tries to make amends. The book tells the story over different years and switches between years to keep you guessing. What I particularly liked was the wonderful sense of foreboding that Evans creates in the first half of the book and then the really shocking twist. This only serves to make the book even more exciting. The characters are all interesting and well developed and are all realistic, so it was easy to go along with the story. The characters of Mac and Zoe I liked particularly well and thought they contributed to the story greatly. Overall this was a fantastic summer read, I devoured it really quickly.