Format: Hardcover|Change

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." -- Genesis 1:27 (NKJV)

When I first heard about this book, I was overjoyed. I live across the Atlantic from the Louvre and my visits there are all too infrequent. I realized that this volume would help me remember favorite paintings. I was thrilled to find hundreds of descriptions of major paintings that added to my knowledge as well. I spent about 12 hours with the book just savoring happy memories from time in the Louvre.

I was happy to find that the book also contains an excellent history of the painting collection, something I knew little about, even though I was a French History major in college. I found these materials to be fascinating.

Beyond that, I loved that the book contains locations for the paintings. As a result, I can plan future trips to the Louvre to make better use of my limited time there. I find that I lose the ability to really focus after two hours, and this book will allow me to spend my time where it will do me the most good.

I was astonished to find a searchable DVD that allows me to quickly look up paintings by artist, by collection, by school, and by location. I often do research on paintings, and this tool will save me many hours. I am a complete klutz when it comes to using resources like this, and I mastered how to use it in about three minutes. The directions are very clear. I ran it on Foxfire. It's a much easier way to research the works than handling this large volume.

Now, be sure to realize what this book isn't: It isn't an attempt to create large size images in the highest possible definition. You can't do that in one book with so many images. It would take 20 volumes and the result would be priced at over $1,000, I'm sure.

I was impressed that 80 percent of the thumbnails were photographed and printed clearly enough so that I could make out the relevant details. The biggest problems occur with the Northern School works because many are so dark to begin with.

At the time I ordered the book, it was only $37.50 plus shipping. That's a steal for such a resource. When I first heard about the book, I estimated its price at $250.

If you aren't familiar with the Louvre's painting collection, realize that its great strengths are in Italian and French works through the early part of the 19th century. There are many fine paintings from other countries, but the representation is limited.

One unintended benefit I received from this book is that it greatly enhanced my understanding of the Christian works in the collection. If that subject is of interest, you'll be blessed by what you see and read.

Bravo!
on 31 October 2011
This is not a catalogue of the Louvre's paintings; it just illustrates those on display. It does not include the reserve collection, and fails to provide more than basic information (nothing on condition or provenance). Illustrations are mostly small and poor, and the text for the fuller entries is flimsy. A basic single-volume catalogue like that available for the National Gallery in London would have been very welcome, but this is not it - it falls somewhere between a checklist catalogue and a handbook, but fails to do either properly.
on 2 November 2013
After a trip to Paris in March 2013 and visiting the louvre at night and seeing this spectacular sight could not wait to go the next day. did not disappoint amazing art and meticulous paintings. Missed it so much bought the book it was like being at the louvre truly breathtaking book . Colours pictures art just wow wow wow thank you
on 30 August 2013
Wonderful pictures and information about each and every painting that the Louvre holds. I would recommend, for content very well priced.
on 24 January 2013
The book is very impressive and beautiful, but the CDROM disappointed me. Louvre had a CDROM in the beginnings of that technology, but they seem not to have evolved. Very limited interface and lowres images.
on 3 May 2014
Having purchased 'The Vatican - All of the Paintings' a few months earlier, I was delighted when 'The Louvre' edition came online at a great price. I had no hesitation in making my purchase and was not disappointed. For anyone who loves art, these books are a 'must buy'. I'm thinking about getting 'The Hermitage' set next.
on 4 March 2015
Superb book - almost 800 pages and very heavy. It'll make you lap go numb if you rest it there too long
on 5 December 2011
I have bought a couple of books on the Louvre previously but none has been as complete as this one. As it says on the tin, it literally includes every single painting in the Louvre's collection. For £50 I found it really good value for money- highly recommended for anyone who has visited or plans to visit the museum.
on 17 December 2014
Good but there are better books the CD Rom may not work properly!!!
on 16 May 2015
This comprehensive catalogue of all the paintings in the Louvre is very useful, particularly for identifying photographs of paintings in the museum I photographed on a visit.