on 26 March 2018
Not my thing. Expected a travel book of adventure but got something entirely different. Didn't make it all the way through, not for me sorry.
on 27 October 2016
McCarthy is no amazing writer, and is a little pretentious-sounding at times, but it's good for 80s movie fans and people who like travel.
on 9 March 2015
Brilliant story, Please write another Andrew McCarthy
on 1 November 2013
Like many 80s girls, I grew up with the Brat Pack films: The Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink and all the others captured something for our generation that remains frozen in time and still has a resonance today. Of all the young actors that contributed to the period, Andrew McCarthy was my favourite - in particular I had a huge crush on Kevin Dolenz, his character in St Elmo's Fire. Kevin happened to be an aspiring writer, which takes on a new light when considering the parallel career Andrew McCarthy has carved for himself as an award winning travel writer. When I heard that "Kevin" had written a book for real, I just had to read it.

I wasn't really sure what I would find and I was very pleasantly surprised. McCarthy has obviously worked on his craft in the ten years or so he has been writing for the likes of The National Geographic and The New York Times, among others. He certainly can write and rather well.

The book is half travel log and half memoir. It recalls six journeys to very different destinations - Patagonia, the Amazon in Peru, Costa Rica, Baltimore, Vienna, Kilimanjaro - in the run up to McCarthy's wedding to his second and current wife, culminating with their wedding in Dublin. During his travels, he reflects on his past, present and future and on how he can reconcile his strong sense of independence with his desire to settle into family life. On the way, he encounters places and people he so colourfully describes and skilfully brings to life.

"The Longest Way Home" is an interesting, funny and moving account of a man's experience of himself, his relationship with the people he loves and those with whom he briefly connects during his travels. Recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 June 2014
I adored this book. Firstly it arrived in excellent condition, then, when settling down to read it,I found a travel book interspersed with a love story. There is love on every page. It's a book I will never forget, and will never let go. I will most certainly read it again and again. It's written beautifully, and is a travel book to touch your heart..
on 14 December 2013
What a fantastic book. Very well written and very descriptive of the places Andrew visited. Makes we feel that I went along for the ride.
on 19 December 2013
A good read,well written account of the author's visits to some interesting locations - the author's tendency to overindulge in his neuroses can get a bit tedious but he remains likeable.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2015
Really enjoyed this. I like his descriptive style and frank delivery. Highly recommend.
on 30 December 2014
arrived in few days, very good.
The book is bigger than expected not the normal size but no problems with the seller/delivery
on 24 January 2013
Decided to buy this book as i had been a fan of Andrew McCarthy's in the 80's when i was a teenager.
I had a look at the sub-title and thought it sounded intriguing, as i'd had no knowledge of the author's personal life. What a journey this book is. The descriptions of all the places the author visits are fabulous, it even made me want to go to those places with the unpronounceable names rather than my usual beach-pool holiday.
This book is well written, has fantastic detail of the places, and the inner struggle the author was having is also detailed well.
Most importantly of all, it has a great ending. Fab.
5 people found this helpful