on 4 August 2013
It is not often a children's fantasy adventure novel comes along which is as deftly written stylistically as it is engrossing in it's story; here we have something that hooks you from the off, combining clever characterisation, a plot that is both convincing yet surprising, set in a world that is perfectly poised between familiar, and strange and new. The result that we have here, is a cracking page-turner that would appeal to children and adults alike. I strongly recommend it.
on 11 January 2014
I haven't yet finished this novel but I have to say I am really enjoying it. Its a nice mix of fantasy and adventure packaged in an easy read. I love trying to visualise the sky ships and the world that the novel is set in. One niggle I have is that it could have been spell checked/edited a little more efficiently. I have a lot of 'himself' and 'he' (in my version) when the author is talking about the main character, who as far as I'm aware is in fact a girl. I wonder if the original idea was to have a male lead character? Either way it is not distracting me too much from an overall good read.
on 10 August 2013
I really enjoyed this from Daniel Patrick. 'The Locket Thief' is the first in 'The Sky Thieves' series, and if the rest of the series is as good as the start then it'll definitely be a series to watch.

The story charts the adventures of Lara DeLarose, our young protagonist, from the roof of the orphanage where we first meet her, and as we follow her adventures aboard the airship 'Robin Hood'. Right from the off, you instantly take to the characters and become totally engrossed in the story, set in a believable world of sky pirates and their airships. In fact, I could easily imagine this as something from Studio Ghibli!

By the end of 'The Locket Thief' I'm very keen to see what happens to Lara and those aboard the 'Robin Hood on their next adventure. Highly recommended!
on 8 August 2013
All I can say is Wow! I really enjoyed reading this book and got caught up in a story where the characters were wonderfully portrayed. I could not put this little gem of a book down until I had read every last word. I can't wait to read more from this author.
on 6 August 2013
I would recommend this book to any one who enjoys fantasy genre I.e books like Game of thrones :). A unique fantasy book coming from a extremely talented Indie author. I'm looking forward to the next installment!
on 30 July 2013
Great book and wonderfully written. You warm to the characters from the start and are keen to follow them on their adventure. Would definitely recommend. Enjoy!
on 30 August 2013
Our hearts definitely go out to Lara DeLarose as we witness the changes in her life - from a bored orphan, looking for any way to liven up her life - to becoming a guest on the airship, Northern Light. Here she meets an array of weird and wonderful characters, makes new friends and learns the skills she will need to protect the crew; the same crew that turned an orphaned outcast into a valued member of a close-knit family.

Every character in the book has their own back story and is developed well; so well that you feel you know them well before the book ends. The atmosphere and camaraderie on board is well portrayed. There's excitement, suspense, some great highs and sickening lows that keep the pages turning all the way to the end.
on 11 November 2013
I went into this with all eyes open, not expecting to like or dislike as I admit to only getting the book because of its free status.

It is not the normal genre of book I normally read but I do try most types.

In the end I found it wasn't for me: however I would recommend people to try, especially if you like steampunk, as that is what the book reminded me of - as the book is set in an airship.
on 20 August 2013
from the start this book captured my attention with its wit and character descriptions. though i would not usally read a book of this category i found it most enjoyable and am sure it would be a hit with fantasy readers. remember the name Daniel Patrick this new author is definitely one to watch.
on 14 October 2013
I was very confused at the beginning and the link to the sky thieves was tenuous at best. The idea behind the story is ok but I couldn't help making comparisons between Lara of Philip Pullman fame. It was ok as a free read but I wont be reading any further as it just didn't "grab" me enough. Ok for teens but not enough for adult readers.