on 30 April 2008
I don't generally submit reviews, but as the only other one of this book seems unfair and may deter poeple from trying it I feel obliged. There will never be a perect translation/transliteration of the Yijing. Every effort will reflect the intent, perception and limitations of the author. Deng Ming-Dao may not claim to be a Daoist master (which genuine one would?) but he is better qualified than many who have taken on the task. What we have here is a quite focussed and poetic approach that is accessible and usable, yet also informative on background, history and modern context. Anyone interested in the Yijing is going to end up with several copies at least. Which ones exactly will depend on their requirements, but this version sits quite happily on my shelves.
on 25 November 2010
In view of a previous negative review I feel compelled to write my own - my first!

Over the last forty years I have collected many versions of the I Ching, including the excellent Wilhelm and Karcher editions. However, none of these can compare to the "The Living I Ching" by Deng Ming-Dao.

On Page xxviii of the Introduction he states that :
"There must be a step-by-step way of absorbing the Changes directly. There must be a way to explore the Changes beyond both traditional interpretations and scholarly enquiries. In short, there must be way to answer these three questions:

What does the Changes mean?
How can it be used?
How can we hear it directly?

Answering these questions is the goal of 'The Living I Ching'. ... You will discover the wisdom of the the Changes that neither masters nor scholars have yet shown us."

The author, who in my opinion is a true Taoist Master, achieves this superbly by means of lyrical prose, poetry and the author's own black and white paintings..

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 8 February 2016
Excellent modern translation of the I Ching.Plus lots of background information.One of the authors inspirational poems precedes every hexagram.A recommended book for anyone interested in the I Ching.Beautifully presented and easy to read and use.Written by someone who is deeply
immersed in the Tao.
on 20 October 2014
why is this only £6.49 on itunes? and even discounted, over £8 on amazon?
on 17 January 2017
A must have in your personal library.
on 25 February 2017
good
on 4 July 2007
When I bought this book, I supposed that this version of the I Ching was a readable one, one pocket-size book to read more easily than the academic versions of this great work. I was wrong: this is just another heavy, not handy version with four hundred pages, which does not contribute to a easy understanding of the subtleties of the I Ching. As the author himself says (page X): "Calling this book an act of madness, folly, and vanity would be to elevate it too much. Calling it stupid would be too thin a description. This is not a scholarly book; I am not qualified. Neither is the work of a master; I have no lofty authority."

I call it simply unnecesary and pretentious. If you are not qualified to write a scholar translation, and you are not a taoist or confucianist master, why do you dare to publish a book about I Ching?