Customer reviews

The Lion's Gate: On the Front Lines of the Six Day War
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2016
The Lion’s Gate is a history of the Six Day War told from the perspectives of a range of Israeli individuals who led and fought in the war. The book's approach is unusual, in that it is a chronological series of short first-person narratives about the events, and while the narratives are based on extensive interviews and research conducted by the author, he has changed and added language to enhance the story and make it more real - what he refers to in the introduction as "hybrid history". The result is that the exciting and fascinating events of the Six Day War come to life through the backgrounds, personalities and feelings of those telling the story. The author does a good job describing the military strategy and the action in an accessible way, and he provides just the right amount of historical and political context to give a sense of the importance of the events. There are also a number of excellent photos interspersed throughout the book that complement the story well.
on 4 November 2015
I knew a certain amount prior to reading this book regarding the 6 day war but I was captivated by this incredible book.

The way in which Steven Pressfield is able to engage the reader within a variety of different stages of the war is excellent, while I really did find myself connecting with and caring for the combatants. The exploits of both professional and truly citizen soldiers blew me away. I have not been so hooked by a book in many a year, and even the small touches such as a reminder of the positions held by the different individuals and also the pictures dotted throughout all helped to tell this amazing story.

The descriptions of the battles in the Sinai and in the streets of Jerusalem screamed realism and I wish I could have know some of these warriors. There were so many points where I found myself choked up, there is a level of humility from these people that is mesmerising to read about. This in a story that if it was not real you would say could never happen.

i just thought the whole thing was captivating and I have to say it screams for Spielberg to make another Band of Brothers. I have loved all of Pressfields work but this exploit is arguably the best yet.
on 14 October 2017
I read this on the recommendation of Chet Richards, author of “Certain to win” as part of my pursuit of the real meaning of what it means to be agile, in mind and action.
It was a great recommendation, but what I had not expected was to get such insight into purpose, meaning and the birth of a nation.
Inspirational, sad, and poignant by turn it is a wonderful work.
on 21 July 2017
This is an unusual book. It is written as if by the people during the war. It gives a very immediate personal feel to the story. It was remarkably gripping and gave a fascinating insight into this pivotal event in Israel's history.
on 25 October 2017
Great book
on 26 December 2015
Great book revealing what really happened in the 6 Day War. Fascinating stories, very well written. I loved this book.
on 25 August 2015
thoroughly enjoying this book, great perspective.
on 30 October 2014
Steven Pressfield does it again. I defy anyone to read this book and not shed tears.
on 7 July 2015