Customer reviews

The Legend of Frog
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 May 2015
I read this to my two girls aged 6 and 9 and they enjoyed it a lot. It will make you laugh, make you cry (well, if you're soft that is) and make you gasp.

Worth checking out and hopefully picked up for a TV series one day.
on 26 January 2014
It's a really good book. I am 9 years old and I like it because it is exciting and there are lots of cliff hangers. I was expecting it to be all sorts of fairy tales in one book and it even different stories than that. I've read all Guy Bass's books and I think this is the best book.

Seph Aged 9
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to say, I think this book is brilliant. Being a 30-something I'm obviously not this book's target audience but so what, I found it genuinely funny. I don't want to give away any plot but if you can imagine an children's book that basically emulates the UFO scene from The Life of Brian, you'll have an idea of what this is like. The lead character is a frog that thinks he's a prince, which any child going through that delusional stage where you convince yourself you're a cyborg/alien from space that's been adopted by normal parents in some sort of government cover up will be able to relate to.

Plus there's a sword called Basil Rathbone and a sheep called Sheriff Explosion. It's just brilliantly surreal. This is now top of the list of books for me to read to my little boy once we've finished the current instalment of Harry Potter. I'm going to get to read it again and I can't wait. And there's a sequel!

Now this probably won't be on everybody's wavelength. Fair enough. But if you like weird, funny and sometimes slightly random science fiction/fantasy stuff AND want your kids to "grow up" to be just like you then honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with this.

I would love to see this made into a movie and hereby volunteer myself for the voice of Man-Lor! Fingers crossed...
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Legend of Frog sees a small frog who believes he is a royal prince, who was whisked away to safety from the End of the World before he was born from a golden egg, and therefore never got to fulfil his destiny as being rightful ruler of the world. So he sets out to fulfil that destiny and embarks on a journey to the End of the World to stake his claim on a royal throne and must overcome numerous obstacles along the way. However it's not just a tale of a long lost prince embarking on an arduous journey, or a spoilt princess and an old wizard called Oldasdust looking after her in the absence of the King and Queen.... throw in an all-out alien invasion and you have Legend of The Frog, a fast-paced, humorous and enjoyable book that my young son enjoyed very much and which I equally enjoyed reading to him. The story moves along over the 200 or so pages at a decent pace, never pondering on one particular moment for too long before moving onto the next and is often delivered in a very witty style that is easy to read and enjoyable from start to finish. There's plenty of humour, there's action and there are twists and turns to enjoy along the way to keep the story interesting - a very enjoyable read throughout that comes highly recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 August 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter has liked the Mr Gum series of books by Andy Stanton, so I thought we would give this one a try.

She is nine, and a good reader, but I think the vocabulary used is a little above her level, so I would recommend this for maybe an 11 year old if being read independently.

We had it as a bedtime book, which I read to her. It works really well for this. Lots of different characters and lots of scope for funny voices, etc. The chapters are a good length for reading one a night (although I gave in sometimes to pleading for "another one").

This is one of those books that works on different levels. Even young readers will get the basic slapstick comedy and many of the verbal gags. However, anyone with a working knowledge of science fiction/fantasy tropes will pick up a load of more subtle references, and some mickey-taking of the standard genre plots.

As a story, it works well on its own terms: a classic "quest" tale where the hero sets off to find his destiny, encounters challenges and obstacles, but eventually triumphs (and learns some "important lessons in life" on the way). It romps along, with a suitable number of surprises and cliff-hangers to keep you reading to the end.

Given the ending, there is even the possibility of a sequel (or dare I say, a trilogy?)...
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you or your child can’t decide whether to read a fairy tale or a science fiction adventure, then this could be the book to turn to! “The Legend of Frog” blends elements from “The Frog Prince” (a golden ball, a lake, a talking frog and a princess), the Arthurian legend (a wizard and a rags-to-riches hero who might actually be royal) and “The War of the Worlds” (an invading alien army with two-legged bipod war machines), all in one madcap package.

The story works on a number of levels, depending on the age and experience of the reader. Grown-ups reading to their kids may pick up on vintage cultural references such as misquoted movie lines and the name of Frog’s stick, while youngsters can enjoy the innocent pleasures of a speaking amphibian and a spoiled princess. Be warned, however, for there are a few slightly grim elements, such as deaths by laser beam and the unpleasant life cycle of the newnicorn, so this publication might not be suitable for a very small child.

Apparently there are illustrations in the book – you can see a couple of them in the “Look inside” preview on the Amazon product page – though they were not present in the review copy that I received.

“The Legend of Frog” is not as funny as it’s cracked up to be, but it’s still worth a look.
VINE VOICEon 25 March 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I read this with my 7-year-old daughter over several bedtimes. She really enjoyed it wanting more each time, and laughing out loud at funny bits in the story. She said, “He goes on an amazing adventure to the end of the world, but he finds out it’s not really the end of the world. My favourite part was when Frog went to see the princess, because she has a funny voice.”

The story starts (once upon the end of the world…) with Frog stuck on an island at the edge of the end of the world. Frog has “bright, mottled green skin, bulbous yellow eyes, and not a single hair on his head.” Basically he is like a talking frog, except he has a destiny to fulfill, what with him being the “Royal Majesty, Lord of all Kingdoms, Rightful Ruler of the World… Prince Frog.”

So he ventures into the end of the world which turns out to be the not-so ended world, the fate of which is in his hands when he comes up against the Kroakans, aliens that are frog-like like him but want to bring the world to an end. This is the part where Frog must decide his fate which is intertwined with that of the world's.

My daughter enjoyed it very much and found it funny, so it comes highly recommended. The humour comes from the surreal-ness of situations, e.g. having a sheep as a trusty steed, and the characters, e.g. a barbarian who has a catchphrase. I never did master the Kroakan language bits though and didn't feel every chapter heading needed a Kroakan translation along with the English, not that I knew until half-way, but that is a small thing.
on 24 January 2014
The Legend of Frog marks the start of a new series for Guy Bass, author of the fantastic Stitch Head series. It's about a frog who's a prince, who travels to the end of the world in order to claim his royal throne. He rides a sheep, makes friends with a princess and finds lots of uses for his trusty stick-weapon called Basil Rathbone.

This book is completely crazy from page one, and starts as it means to go on! Truthfully, I thought it would be funnier, and more endearing like the Stitch Head books. I didn't like the characters as much this time around, though obviously Frog is super cool and I'm quite fond of his sheep-turned-steed. There's lots of action too, non-stop action really, which means there's never a dull moment!

There are lots of great illustrations throughout The Legend of Frog, all which compliment the text and make certain scenarios easier to imagine. I particularly like the image of a frog riding a Rarewolf - so brilliant! This is a fast, enjoyable start to a new series that I think will get better with each book. I'm intrigued enough to read on, and I hope Frog and Co. have another exciting adventure up their sleeves. We'll find out when Frog the Barbarian is published in summer 2014!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 January 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thoroughly enjoyed this fantasy/sci fi adventure romp. Frog lives on an island with his friend Buttercup. Buttercup has always told Frog that he is a prince, and that he would rule over everywhere where it not for the fact that the end of the world had come. Frog is bored of living on the tiny island, eating veg that tastes like burp, and one day he sets off to see if the world really has ended. What he finds amazes him.

This is the first in a series, or at least I hope it is, as although it is a stand alone adventure, the last chapter sets up the possibility of more in the future.

Frog's own story is wonderfully written, and I love his creative spelling. I also thought that the humorous elements of the story were excellent, and that the book was really well written to appeal to boys, aged from about seven to ten. The language of gaming and the fart jokes would appeal to a lot of boy readers I know.
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Legend of Frog written by Guy Bass is a very funny read which the boys loved, mainly because it was one of those books which fired their imaginations plus with constant fun throughout this really is one book which will appeal to many readers which will attract children as readers but for me who has left their childhood years back in the good old days even I enjoyed reading it to the boys just as much as they enjoyed listening to it as a bed time read.
The book really is full of many elements but one thing which was certain the author has one very vivid imagination which he uses to its full potential. There is no way I could fully explain the story-line if I wanted to but in a way I want the reader to go with a fresh mind and be entertained with not only a bright and colourful writing but mix it with a fresh and exciting journey which this author certainly has the talent to do so