on 9 August 2017
Victoria has been through a string of homes and foster care families throughout her childhood and she doesn't seem to have much of a chance at life when we meet her in the early stages of the book. But as her past is revealed (in alternate chapters) and she finds solace and eventual industry in her passion for flowers and the language they speak, Victoria's story comes together. Up until half-way through the novel, I found myself thinking that it was only okay and was wondering where it was all going. I'm pleased to report that the ending transformed this into a delightful and moving read for me and on learning the baby's name, I even shed a few tears. A poignant and enchanting read.
on 1 September 2012
You don't need to be interested in flowers to enjoy this novel, but nevertheless it is flowers that uplift and provide the way forward for the troubled girl, Victoria, in this novel. It was a joy to see her blossoming, to see her working with and communicating with people through flowers and the historical meaning attached to them.
Up to the age of 18, Victoria has spent her life in care and foster homes. Over two parallel time periods the story illustrates how attachment disorder which can develop from infancy is manifest in her as a child and as a young adult, causing her to feel unwanted and unloveable, to lack trust in others and to behave in difficult, uncaring and unattached ways herself. You may wonder, though, how much is due to nurture (or in this case lack of nurture) and how much nature. What sort of personality would Victoria have had if she didn't have such a troubled upbringing?
Luckily for Victoria she comes across a few caring and very understanding people who try to help her in life, and we follow her as she tries to learn to trust them and feel worthy of their love, though she sometimes feels they would be better off without her. An intriguing back story gradually infolds. The novel is at times very sad and at other times uplifting.
There is more than a hint of magical abilities regards the flowers which gives an extra dimension to the novel that some readers may like, though I thought was taken a little too far. But, all in all, it's a lovely novel and definitely worth reading.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 April 2013
Most of the reviews have said it all, so I'm not going to write about the plot.

I've just looked up the One & Two stars and in a way feel sorry that they didn't get the same pleasure that I did from this story about a very complicated young girl.

I don't often shed tears when I read, in fact can't remember having done so since Black Beauty, but this book made me cry because I just wanted to take Victoria and wrap her up in unconditional love.

I will defintely be reading this book again. Truly brilliant.
on 1 February 2017
This is a very curious book involving a very mixed up girl/ young woman discovering a talent she was unaware she had. I really enjoyed it, though at times it was an emotional read.
on 30 April 2017
I was very pleased with this book. I'm interested in the language of flowers and this little book has information and poems accompanying each of the 50 flowers the author writes about. The illustrations are simple and very pretty and at the back of the book there is a list of emotions linked to flowers.
on 12 October 2017
The best book I've read in 2017. Loved it and recommending it to everyone I know who reads fiction.
on 9 May 2017
I haven't finished listening to this book yet but I am really enjoying listening to the story. I am still trying to guess what Victoria did in her pas that would upset her boyfriend.
on 13 January 2013
I generally like books written from the perspective of the child, andI'm enjoyinhg this immensley. The story takes you through her childhood interspersed with her dealing with the present, all leading back to one major incident. Have found it hard to put down, the writing style is very readable (altho a couple of chapters have felt 'laboured'. I'm now just hoping for a happy ending
on 13 July 2017
Great read.
on 2 March 2017
Absolutely loved this book and will no doubt re-read in the future. It's a wonderful story of motherly love and forgiveness. Beautifully written. Read it!