Customer reviews

on 9 November 2007
This is a delightfully whimsical book, and beautifully observed. It has a rare and wonderful quality: it shows compassion for all, including the "baddie"--a greedy, selfish king. The story never condemns him; it simply describes his life, and shows how he is eventually made miserable by his own behaviour. And when he is finally redeemed, it is without any smugness, just with rejoicing that all is finally well. As well as being great fun, this is one of the most gentle and joyful children's books I know.

My four- and six-year old love this book, and it has had many, many rereadings in our house. The illustrations are full of charming, funny details; the Italian-speaking cat has us all wandering around the house saying "non c'e di che" ("don't mention it"): and I particularly like the Wind who, after creating mild havoc with a tempest, says "You do these things in a moment of madness, and then you're left with the mess."

I've probably bought 300-400 children's books in the past few years, and this is definitely one of the best.
on 31 May 2006
I bought this book for my 5-year old daughter because I am a great fan of Jeanette Winterson's writing.

The King of Capri was everything I hoped it would be. We have read it many times, and the timeless reversal of fortune tale, told cleverly with gentle humour, never ceases to put a smile on our faces at bedtime. Beautifully illustrated too - what a bonus. We especially like the Italian-speaking cat(!) and the sweetly happy ending.

One of our favourites.
on 13 September 2003
I bought this beautifully written children's book for my niece, who enjoyed it very much. It holds all of the poetic charm Winterson displays in her writing for adults, within a beautiful moral story.
With it's gorgeous graphics and strong hardback it makes a perfect present for a child who is just learning about the joys of reading.
on 26 May 2008
The story brings a smile to my soul and the sumptuous illustrations fill me with glee. Totally agree with all these other reviews. Love this book and savour reading it aloud to the kids... over and over.
on 25 March 2013
We loved the book , me and my daughter, for the poetic use of language, for the blissful images and for the generous way the wind blows miracle into life...
on 16 November 2011
My children are 10 and 8 now and this would definitely count as a book that all young children should have. It is very funny and the moral side is good without being preachy and pious. In fact my children still like this book. I must have read it to them 20 times and the magic still works for me!
on 29 January 2013
This is a lovely read out loud book for young children with beautiful illustrations about a very greedy king and a very hard working washer woman and what happens to them both when the Wind blows a storm. Enchanting and enjoyable for adults too!
on 17 October 2014
Excellent for children of all ages! As an artist, I am always looking for inspiration from children's fairy stories and this is one of the best I have found in a long time. I will be reading this to the children in my life in times to come. It combines a great moral story with superb illustrations. Full of warmth and character.
on 28 November 2012
the book arrived on time in good condition. it is an excellent book. if you have even a partial interest in reading great things for your self or for children i'd say give this a go.
on 27 May 2013
The writing is of unmistakably superior quality - dunno what it is, turn of phrase or ingenuity or something. The illustrations are gorgeous.