Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 December 2012
I usually read "source" books from Greeks to Byzantium and from Romans to Icelandic Sagas and Anglo Saxon literature. But sometimes it can get a little heavy going. So now and again I like to read a novel from the periods in question. And "King-Born" is a cracking story, and moves along at just the right pace to keep it interesting and make you want to turn the next page. I enjoyed it very much. If you like your historical novels, you could do a lot worse than to spend an afternoon in the company of Olaf his friends and enemies. Thoroughly recommended.
on 15 October 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect from this little book and I was pleasantly surprised! I was hooked from the beginning and found it difficult to put down. It's a tale told along the lines of Arthurian legend: it's got good guys, bad guys, honour and tretchery. And of course a little romance woven in amongst some unromanticised warrior combat.

It's written for older kids, but like Philip Pullman and Tolkien, it appeals to grown ups too. I'm a 38 year life coach and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys history and good old storytelling. You can't go wrong at this price.
on 11 December 2012
Quite violent as is to be expected but a vivid tale from the Viking era which brings to life the heroic tale of Olaf the Strong.
on 18 January 2013
We are doing 'The dark Ages' in history at school.This book helped alot in giving me an idea od what it was like living in those days. It is an excellent story. Even my Dad liked it. I'm glad I don't live back then because life was hard. I got a A for my essay.
on 15 February 2013
I loved this book! Very quick and easy to read and just enough facts mixed with a good story to hold my interest to the end. It gave a good sense of life in those times without being too heavy.
on 8 January 2013
A short uninspiring tale about a Viking seeking revenge . Simple and to the point . Did not make me want to read any more books by the same author.
on 5 August 2013
I couldn't take the simplistic dialogue and mock-historicity. I believe the book would be suitable for children rather than adults.
on 4 May 2013
A simple book
but one which l loved reading time again I have mainstream in Viking books this was a tale that is read around a good campfire .
on 8 February 2013
Like it? So boring I couldn't even get 'into' it! A bit like reading a poor thesis. Not recommended at all!