Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£6.23+ £2.80 shipping

on 20 April 2004
I bought the Jazz Singer DVD in Dublin a few days ago it's a hoary old cult classic with a very naturalistic performance from Neil Diamond in the title role coupled with some cracking tunes. I was also happy to note that it was riding high in the Top 30…great stuff for a movie almost 25 years old that wasn’t a commercial success on its initial release. But I have to say that the presentation is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE. Warner brothers and their various associates have done NO justice to this film.
What they’ve done is basically transfer the master onto DVD. The sound and picture have not been improved indeed I’d think it fair to say that a recent VHS copy would be of equal quality. What’s the point of releasing a film on DVD by merely transferring the source tape? The Jazz Singer BADLY needs to be remastered for picture and sound. The picture quality is very poor IMHO and the sound could do with a polish. A little bit of effort to include a booklet would’ve been nice with chapter selections and so forth. How about some extras such as brief interviews with Neil AND Lucy Arnaz (and any of the other participants) about the film. How about outtakes? Warner Bros have a poor record on this but this takes the biscuit!
I think a glorious chance was missed here. Considering the amount of money the film is going to procure WB and Studio Canal and the cult following it has this product is a thundering disgrace!
3 stars for the film 1 for the packaging and presentation.
on 24 February 2005
The Jazz Singer takes the wonderfull music of Niel Diamond and puts it to a very good script. I remember watching this when i was a kid and i have been a fan of niel diamond since. I got this recently and showed my wife it who had never seen it and wasnt a fan of niel diamond, guess what? she is now a fan of niel diamond and so is my 12 year old daughter who has watched the movie 4 or 5 times since i got it. Get it I gaurantee you will enjoy it.
on 26 March 2004
Anyone reading this page will no doubt already have their own opinion on 'The Jazz Singer'. Neil Diamond's remake of the classic Al Jolson Movie hits all the right buttons with great songs written and performed by Neil Diamond, an uplifting story of a Jewish cantor breaking into the world of popular music and, in my opinion, an amusingly over-the-top performance by Laurence Olivier. The film itself cannot fail to entertain and demands repeat viewings. This is why, as soon as I heard of it's release on DVD I pre-ordered straight away to replace my old VHS copy. The DVD itself is a total let-down. The picture quality, although now in widescreen, is no better, and perhaps even worse, than the VHS version. The grainy, fuzzy picture has to be the worst I have ever come across on DVD and certainly looks as if this has been mastered straight from the video with no clean-up work whatsoever. The sound quality is also substandard and there are no extra features to be found at all. Being one of my favourtite movies, I was hoping I would be able to give this DVD five stars - the poor DVD production, however has dragged this kicking and screaming down to a three!
on 9 August 2007
A fantastic film that will make you laugh, cry and sing. The story of a Jewish cantor that leaves the synagogue to make it in the commercial music world, going against his wife's and fathers wishes he does eventually make it.
The music is typical Neil Diamond and is superb throughout with "love on the rocks" being the best.
on 28 October 2009
I own a VHS copy of this film and can honestly say the videocassette has a clearer picture and better sound (on the HiFi tracks) than this DVD. I would not be surprised to find the DVD to be an unofficial (and poorly executed) copy off an old VHS cassette.

Most disappointing.
on 20 February 2001
Neil Diamond is a gifted songwriter who broke into performing in the late 60's. In this film one would expect his acting ability to be dwarfed by Laurence Olivier - it is not. Diamond gives a fantastic performance bringing depth and soul to the characted. Some of the songs are legendry: Love on the rocks, America and the wonderful Hello Again. The ending is very american and very sentimental, but the film is powerful, the scene towards the end of the film in the Jewish temple is incredible.
on 29 July 2010
I bought this for my mum's birthday, had a job finding it before this. Good copy, good album - even I like Neil too )
on 11 October 2011
very good film, i rate it very highly, neil diamond played a great part, the music in the movie also is amazing
I would reccomend this movie, and if your a neil diamond fan, then its a must.
on 25 April 2004
This is a moving and emotional portrayal of the Jazz Singer.... NeilDiamond is as always a true superstar and I defy anyone not to be moved byhis perfomance. The storyline is an excellant adaptation of the original.Anyone not moved by this film doesnt have a heart! Highly recomendedviewing!
on 18 August 2010
I had a copy of this movie, but only from the newspaper. So seeing this on Amazon, I just had to get it.
If you love Neil's music, then get this, the only film that Neil did.
Beautiful soundtrack, from the man himself, and a lovely film to watch, too.