on 24 May 2014
...to an incredible series!

So glad I have access to these on Kindle, I first set about reading them around 20 years ago, and, inexplicably, the local library only had the first 7. (In fairness, inter-library loans could've sorted that, but I was young and foolish then...)

So I've gone back to the beginning. I vividly remember being utterly bewildered by this book upon first reading it, it was quite unlike any sci-fi I'd read before. As many reviewers have pointed out, it does have an uneven, at times painfully slow, pace, but it's worth persevering with, I promise.

The story focuses on the main protagonist and his efforts to set up "Mission Earth", which he needs to both succeed AND fail.

Most of the comedy comes from very shrewd observation of the human condition, as interpreted through the eyes of the alien invaders. It should also be mentioned, perhaps, that the 'Earth', and humanity, in question here is a damning caricature of the one we know and love.

I can't recommend enough that you give this a go, especially at the Kindle price. As another reviewer has suggested, you ought not to be put off by the author's legendary notoriety, and approach this with an open mind. I think you'll at least chuckle at the misadventures of the, quite deluded, Soltan Gris.
on 14 March 2016
I remember getting these books from the local library when I was about 12 or 13 years old, a long time ago and way before I'd ever heard of the author, and really enjoying them. To a naïve teenager they were rollicking good fun. Silly, universe spanning space opera. Recently, out of curiosity I decided to buy the first book again to see if my enjoyment of the book was changed by what I later learned about Hubbard. The short answer is yes. Yes, it was.
It says in the subtitle of the book that this is "...funny, cynical satire.". This is absolutely a case that someone doth protest too much. "Its not staggeringly misinformed prejudice you know, its satire!" You don't just get to say that something is satire. It actually has to be satire! Not just the ranting of the author, thinly disguising his beliefs as those of a character. It is as if we found out later in life that Sacha Baron Cohen actually believed and agreed with all the things that he said as Borat.
It is exactly the sort of novel that you would expect a cult leader to write.
on 14 January 2017
I classic from my youth but crumbs reading it as an adult makes me realise how much this guy hatred the way people can behave.
Not very well edited and epic in length - Part one of 10 volumes but worth a read on the kindle as you won't find these in many book stores anymore.
on 8 February 2013
There is a lot written about Hubbard the man but more should be written about Hubbard the writer. He is firmly from the pulp era but his stuff is hugely readable. The Mission Earth series is a bit of an oddity which can get totally lost at times but, where it is good, it is a lot of fun. Not as good as Battlefield Earth (which could never be as bad as the critics conspired to claim) but worth a look. I read this volume about ten years ago and was impressed basically by what a good science fiction novel it is.
As well as Battlefield Earth, his horror novella, Fear, is worth a look. Very clever.
on 13 September 2014
So very very funny, had me laughing a lot - lot's of hidden meanings and very interesting too.

Some things obviously not funny and could be hard hitting for those that take everything to seriously, but over-all a classic

science fiction with some not so fictitious facts thrown in for good measure, that should not be missed 5 stars from here to

Voltar and back with out to many translation errors.
on 6 April 2014
Gris and Heller have got to Earth, Gris, torn between Heller's success and failure, is as hilariously savage, immoral, inept and clueless as ever while Heller begins to make inroads into his mission, and learns valuable lessons about Earth's inhabitants.
on 20 February 2014
This is a great follow up to the first book. Really well written. Very clever and funny satire about life here on this crazy planet. Very engaging.
on 2 July 2014
I have the full story in book form great story this is the 15 time read
on 27 March 2017
Great action follow up to the first volume - keeps you on the edge of your seat. I'm addicted!
on 12 October 2015
Brought this after reading Battlefield Earth. This was a very disappointing follow-up.