Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2012
This is the story of Henrietta `Harry' Martinez, the daughter of a convicted insider trader. Harry is an IT expert, a legalised hacker, who becomes involved in the legacy of her father's crime.

The story has pace, and the IT and banking elements are sufficiently researched to give it some context. However, the plot is a little predictable and the characters lack credibility. Some scenes verge on the risible, for instance in one scene our heroine is forced off the road, badly bruised and shaken in the process, beaten up by her attacker for good measure, and then picked up by her boss who takes her home where they make love.

Just about enough to warrant reading to the end, but there are many better options available in the thriller genre.
on 21 February 2009
This book was launched in Ireland at the beginning of Feb 09. If you like easy to read, crime thrillers, then this is for you. I found it hard to put down and finished it in a few days. I think it's similar to Harlan Coben books which for me means great stories without getting hung up in too much "padding" or detail.

The story flows extremely well. The character is very likeable and easily lends itself to future books. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

I know this is the author's first book and I hope she has many more.
on 1 November 2015
Harry's charismatic father has been in jail for six years, guilty of insider trading. Harry was her father's daughter and knew all the tricks, and she had taught herself to hack. But something sinister was going on and her life was being threatened. A clever gripping plot.
June Finnigan - Writer
on 1 March 2009
Loved it! The opening chapter basically grabs you and after that it doesn't really let you go. The biggest "pluses" for me are the pace and the characters, particularly Harry who is a highly likeable heroine- a combination of high competence in hacking, poker and survival but is also lacking in confidence in her relationships, particularly with her father. For me, a great thriller is one with lots of pace and that doesn't get bogged down in detail, and with well-developed characters you can connect with, and this book hits the spot! Best comparison I can make is to early Grisham. I finished it in one weekend which is saying something for me. To use the cliché, it is "a great read" and a classic page-turner.
on 23 February 2016
Found this lady on Facebook Irish writers group. On instinct bought four of her books. This I have just completed. I read a lot of books. This is up there. Adrenalin rush from start to end. Beware my lord of jealousy as I struggle to write my own. Highly recommended.
on 22 November 2012
Love it when the tension is cranked up and the narrative has you believing one thing only to reveal the true facts that the description was of an incident elsewhere. Shock turns to relief when you understand the body bag doesn't contain the lead character but horror that the plot is getting that much more sinister. This is a engaging read, with the usual thrills and spills. Red herrings and redirection, smoke and mirrors leaves the reader guessing friend from foe. Not much new here perhaps but in Harry Martinez, Ava McCarthy has introduced us to an interesting and sustainable character in the world of finance and computer hacking.
The lead character also has a background in high stakes poker so literally goes all in risking all, including her own life. The book reaches a life threatening final showdown and remains true to its pulse quickening character as the reader turns the last page satisfied but wanting more.
on 13 April 2009
I loved this book and stayed up reading it until the early hours because I had to know the ending! It's fast-paced, tightly written, full of suspense and I particularly liked the heroine, Harry, who's tough but also very appealing. Great descriptions of the murky world of hackers. You can tell the author did her research. I'll definitely buy the next one in the series.
Emma from Surrey.
Nice first effort from an author that has now produced at least two more.
This is a tale of hacking, insider dealing and big money. Harry is our heroine here as she tries to track down money her father stole before the mysterious "Prophet" kills her.
It gets off to a great start but then fails to quite keep up. That's not to say it is bad (it isn't) but it becomes a little obvious, certainly the identity of the Prophet comes at no shock. Lots of 'tricks of the trade' stuff in here and an engaging main lead, but while perfectly acceptable - it lacks a big wow factor.
on 26 February 2009
I really enjoyed this one, it's a cracking read, tight 'bang-on' writing, and no mucking about. It's a bit of a page turner, and it rattles along at a great pace. Very good characters, and I got all the stuff about computers, without being an expert. in fact, there's quite a lot to learn in this book about the financial world. I wouldn't let that put you off, it helps rather than hinders, and is a backdrop to some fine shenanigans. I liked the heroine, Harry, she's a refreshing change from some of the chisel-jawed, arrogant protagonists you usually get in thrillers. Overall, highly recommended.
on 29 March 2009
Thoroughly enjoyed this well paced thriller that satisfies all of the demands of the modern reader. Harry is a well thought out protagonist with a dark side that cleverly enhances her ability to go about the business of being a heroine.
A rollercoaster ride through the world of white collar crime and computer hacking culminates in a very satisfactory finale that stays true to the characters.
I read this in two or three sittings - I look forward to Harry Martinez's next assignment!