on 5 June 2017
A well written, but still easy to read book. It takes some courage and backbone to stick out that Winter under those conditions. Fascinated by how they made do. Loved the descriptions of the moors. Left me with a desire to visit this place.
on 6 July 2017
Would imagine that a pub lover would really enjoy this. I enjoyed it to the extent of learning about life in such a remote location. The characters make it an enjoyable read; even the awful owners.
on 13 August 2016
Was a.little disappointed as I had expected lots of anecdotes about the pubs clientele. Although there were some there was a lot more about sheep. I realise that sheep are the livelihood of Sales dwellers but I know more than I wanted about how and tips. That said the book is beautifully written and descriptive conjuring up visions of the bleak but aww inspiring landscape.
on 7 July 2017
Really loved it -as it was full of quirky incidents . A different story and no glossing over the reality of life "Up there"-hope for a sequel!!
on 17 May 2017
I kept hoping the writing would have more interesting detail. I felt you never really got to know the lead characters or how they really felt, particularly Sue who could have been a cardboard cut-out for all the emotion ascribed to her.
on 18 March 2017
It was a very good conditioned book. Thank you.
on 13 July 2017
This book had one hooked on the first page. Can't wait to read pigs might fly. What a writer! I hope he does more
on 13 June 2017
Very revealing about the life on the top there, living in the district I know about nasty weather and everybody really has to have enough food e t c in the house. Loved the book.
on 27 June 2017
A book to curl up to especially on a cold winters night if you like James herriot you will love this book
on 10 June 2017
This well written book gave a good insight into what rural life was like in the 70s.It had me laughing all the way through!! Being a Cornish farmer's daughter and a barmaid this book readily appealed to me.