Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 3 June 2012
In my opinion, Kyle Mills has written some excellent books in the past, as well as some more humdrum ones too. This kind of sits in the middle; his take on the oft told tale of the quest for immortality. The characters are a little one dimensional and the storyline is so swift that there are some obvious flaws in the narrative. The end itself was a bit rushed in my view - there was certainly some room for expansion. And don't expect a Michael Crichton-esque techno-thriller - in The Immortalists, things are what they are, without explanation. That said, it is an enjoyable enough read - it certainly isn't one of those books where you have to grit your teeth and force yourself to the end.

A good book to read on a sun lounger where you can switch your brain off and chill, then not feel guilty about donating the book to the hotel library.
on 20 January 2012
I have read all of Kyle Mills' novel to date, and I have enjoyed this one too. But I must say it was not to par with his early work. It happens often that authors start with tremendous ideas and unexpected story twists in their first novels, but slowly lose their originality and believability. I think that the last novels by Mills fall in this category, this one and the previous Lord of corruption. I have finished them, enjoyed them but I feel inexplicably unsatisfied. Something is missing. In the immortalists, one can certainly say that the idea is very special and well illustrated. The characters are deep and complex, but I have missed some believability and was disappointed by the ending. A good read, but not exceptional
on 9 January 2012
Again another cheap book to let me try out another author on my Kindle!

I liked this but I didn't love it. The story is a little bit 'samey' with a youth serum being discovered and covered up (the conspiracy) and a dedicated doctor trying to find a cure for his sick daughter before she dies (the unlikely hero).

The pace is nice and fast, and lots of things happen very quickly. Some new characters are brought in pretty quickly and established well. There's a few pieces in here which seem pretty unbelievable but hey it's fiction, so just go with the flow and enjoy the ride. I did find his wife a little bit lacking in character - too against there being a conspiracy at the start and then suddenly going with the action. The daughter felt a little bit sidelined through the story too. Some of the 'bad guys' were pretty good though - people with more money and power than scrupples!

The end came a little abruptly, which is OK but it almost felt like a bit of a cop out.

I'll definately try another book by this author. It's a good, fast-paced thriller. If the ending had been different and I'd felt a bit more 'pull' with some of the central characters, then it would have pushed this up to a 5/5!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 January 2012
The Immortalists was an unexpected pleasure. Caught without a novel to read on Christmas Day but with a hungry kindle, I bought The Immortalists by Kyle Mills on a whim. The low price was backed up by an opening sample chapter that made the rest of the book irresistible and purchasing it unavoidable. I read it in little more than a day. This was a genetic thriller with a difference - it's impossible not to care for the young girl around whom the whole novel revolves.

Susie is an eight year old child with progeria, an illness that ages a child unnaturally and prematurely, finally and in short thrift killing that child. Susie's father, the microbiologist Dr Richard Draman, is in search of a cure and when he hears that a scientist, Annette Chevalier, presumed to have committed suicide, may have have made a breakthrough, he decides to continue her work. But when everyone associate with the dead scientist dies themselves in mysterious circumstances, Richard, his wife Carly and Susie have to go on the run.

Caught in the middle of two extremely powerful factions, each desperate to harness the power of the potential cure for themselves, Richard and Carly are left with no option other than to kidnap one of the richest men in the world, an old and infirm man whose money can't buy what he needs more than anything else, a cure for old age. Meanwhile, Susie ails but her spirit and optimism inspires everyone she comes into contact with, driving them on while precious time slips away.

The Immortalists is an extremely exciting medical thriller which combines the outlandish and the almost fantastical with the very real struggle of two parents to save their young child from an unpleasant and early death. Susie's personality, and the desperation and love of her parents adds a human element to the thriller that makes it very involving. Nothing around Richard and Carly can be relied upon. The parties after the research have so much power that there is noone they can't control and no place they can't reach. Everything is engineered, even long friendships. But when the goal is saving one's child, there is nothing that won't be attempted and no risk is too great. As a result, this is a race run at breakneck speed.

Kyle Mills writes well and our investment in the story pays off. There aren't many thrillers that pull such an emotional punch. The science isn't too difficult to follow. The disease itself is a real one as are indeed the real menaces to mankind that this potential cure could keep at bay - infirmity and death.
on 12 December 2011
This book is a captivating, well-written thriller, which I couldn't download fast enough onto my Kindle after I read the free sample. The price is deceptively low, as this is apparently a well-published author who also writes books for one of Robert Ludlum's series. I looked for more of this author's books on Kindle, but they aren't out yet. Please hurry up and put them on Kindle, as I can't wait to read more from this author! I have read a few thrillers that are written like movie scripts, with one-dimensional, cardboard characters. This was quite different. I loved the fast pace of the writing and storyline, but the author still made it believable and created characters you cared about. Really enjoyable, and a cut above some of the other blockbuster thrillers out there. I really enjoy C J Box's books, and this was right up there with his work, in my opinion.
on 15 December 2011
I bought this book for 99p to read on my computer as I don't yet have a Kindle. I figured at that low price even if it was hopeless at least I hadn't wasted too much money. But my goodness what a rip roaring read. I finished the book in little over a day and a half - which is pretty extraordinary for me as I am quite a slow reader. I didn't want to go to bed last night even though it was getting late, just because I was enjoying it so much, (and if I had a Kindle or something else to read it on, I doubt I would have stopped reading at that point, but at least would have been in the comfort of my bed). There was one tiny moment or irritation near the beginning of the book where Richard was putting together all the nasty little events that had happened, but Carly was trying to explain them away, but thank goodness the author did not pursue that line for any longer than that moment. I really hate when central characters can't make the leap that the readers can. I found myself reading leisurely until the action heated up and then I couldn't read the words fast enough. It has been a really long time since I got a book that I simply couldn't put down and I can't recommend it highly enough. As another reviewer has already said, it would be marvellous if the rest of Kyle Mills' books could be transferred into Kindle editions. Well done Mr Mills - a fabulous read.
on 2 February 2012
Having read his other books I couldnt believe how cheap this was to download.
A good story about a scientist searching for a cure for his ill daughter but crossing a very influential group with their own agenda.
You will not be disappointed and I believe you will want to read his other books too. I recommend totally and encourage you have a look at his other titles. No I am not his agent !
on 11 December 2011
I bought this on Kindle because of the price. I could not put it down, it was fast moving and I didn't have to skim read. I read it in one day. I will definately look for more books by this author.
on 7 January 2012
I enjoyed this book despite its sheer unlikeliness from just about every point of view. So full credit for the author in writing in a style that kept me engrossed even as I mentally shouted 'I don't believe this' or 'Come on!'. As with most conspiracy books, there is a requirement to believe that a small group of billionaires could control pharmaceutical research to conceal a great secret. There is also the suspension of disbelief that they are the only powerful group in the world without any rivals either personal or corporate. Also they hide out in a disguised base on a tropical island. (Yes really). But I still loved the book. The protagonist was on the go all the time, just like Harrison Ford in The Fugitive. There was no worry about characters, just a speedy plot. So well done Kyle Mills, I will read more of your books.
on 24 June 2012
This was the kind of book that I wasn't too bothered about finishing but decided to find out what happens.

What wrong with it: I struggle with the way that characters are often transformed from a normal family person to a a gun toting mastermind who outwits hardened criminals with billions of dollars at their disposal-unfortunately this was one of these books. I felt the ending of Richard's research was predictable. I also felt the Progeria element as a disease could have been explored more fully.

Whats right with it: I liked the character of Susie and Burt Seeger who appears later in the novel. I felt the ending for Susie was right and showed a wise lesson (you don't know what you are meddling with in genetics).

All in all it was an average read that didn't set my world on fire but was entertaining enough.