on 12 December 2015
A truly brilliant interpretation of the world classic, one of my favourites of all time Robert Fagles has added a real poetic twist to the English interpretation of the great story, whilst keeping the language and construction of the original, this is to delve into the oral tradition of the The Odyssey and to read it as it may well have been spoken in far off days, it is the very stuff of ancient Greek myth. I would recommend this to any one who loves ancient Greece, it still is one of the great story's
on 19 May 2015
Fagles translation of his epic tale is excellent. Hard to believe this story written two thousand years ago still has relevance today. An insight into the best and worst of human behaviour. Very pleased with my purchase. Delivered in good time and condition as described.
on 18 October 2017
Bought this for my 16 year old son. I didn't realize that it would be "comic book" style, but since he is not someone who enjoys reading heavy texts, I think the images captured his imagination which made him enjoy the story. The quality of the book is very nice and the illustrations are very good.
on 2 March 2017
a good read
on 25 January 2013
I'm not too well-read in the classics, but I can say for sure that Homer's 'Odyssey' will be a favourite, no matter how many of the timeless novels I read! At first, I was thinking that the novel was a little heavy (not literally!) for casual reading, but after familiarising myself with the characters (there aren't too many to learn), I found that it read as smoothly as many 20th century books.
on 29 May 2017
Studying classics and this was reading material for this year. A good copy and very happy with it.
on 30 December 2015
As previously stated all three books arrived safely and well packaged these had been a Christmas Present for my husband,
so I hope he has wonderful reading time in the New Year with these three books.
on 1 December 2012
It is really quite phenomenal.
There are lots of name's to remember but once you get over that its incredible to read. Although Odysseus himself is actually a bit of a moaner, he does reflect the whole image of a Greek Hero. Homer is obviously very talented and the stories involved like that of the Cyclops are very clever. Sometimes he does go back on himself though- Homer will say something and suddenly contradict it, which is as confusing as it sounds.
Anyway, I would read this if i were you, it is a classic :)
on 17 April 2016
Again, this was bought for a friend who said it was as expected and enjoyed it. They live this type of read and stated it was a good one to add to their collection.
on 12 June 2017