Customer reviews

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£18.98+ £2.80 shipping

on 9 June 2015
This is one of cinema's most underrated movies!

The cinematography is stunning and the entire film has an incredible atmosphere to it. I watch it and I feel like it was made back in medieval Paris. The acting is superb by the incredible Charles Laughton, Sir Cedric Hardwicke and Maureen O'Hara.

In terms of the adaptation, it's not entirely accurate and much is missed out - but still worth a watch, it's more accurate than A LOT of the other adaptations of it.

If you're into gothic movies with a slightly eerie atmosphere or if you're a fan of this incredible story then give this a go! It's one of my all time favourite films since I was 12.
on 13 March 2017
Possibly the best version of the hunchback,Charles laughton is magnificent only Lon Cheney can rival this.
on 3 August 2017
CLASSIC MOVIE . ENGLISH AND KOREAN SUBTITLES
on 31 August 2017
Excellent
on 26 July 2011
I had forgotten the amount of talent needed by actors and actresses in the days of black and white films. The disc arrived from the far east and was in perfect condition. Mr Laughton and Miss O'Hara excelled themselves in telling the sad story.
on 19 July 2017
I'll ignore the '1 Star Whinger' who said this production was not as good as the book and didn't keep close to Hugo's story. That apart, which I know CAN be a little annoying at times I am simply reviewing THIS film version as it stands and I personally think it IS the best one made, Charles Laughton at his best as Quasimodo. He was a very adaptable actor as he showed in Mutiny on the Bounty, Henry VIII, Hobson's Choice to name a few films he made. Sir Cedric Hardwicke (The Winslow Boy) as Frollo, Edmund O'Brien and Maureen O'Hara in their US screen debuts, Thomas Mitchell (Stagecoach). George Zucco who played the Procurator / Prosecutor starred as Professor Moriarty the nemesis of Sherlock Holmes. The makeup for Laughton took several hours to put on and was very good even by today's standards yet no one in the department was even credited in the film.
on 11 September 2015
Just a hopefully helpful point since there seems to be a spot of confusion on this site regarding the playability of an imported Warner Brothers Blu-ray release of this film in the U.K., not a review, though it's a smashing, recommended film, looking quite splendid in Blu-ray. My point being - the Warner from the U.S.A. release plays without bother on my Region B player, thus indicating in perhaps persuasive fashion this is more than Region 1 playable. The BR function of my player is impossible to be tinkered with, it's Region 2 to the core, any actual Region 1's are non-watchable.
on 6 January 2013
One of my favourite films of all time, for a number of reasons.

First, the direction by William Dieterle which is superb. Next, the music by Alfred Newman is great; he very cleverly mixes the ecclesiastical music of medieval France with his own to bring a thrilling score to the film. And lastly, the actors: Charles Laughton was not always my favourite actor, but he was in this. He's supported by Maureen O'Hara, cleverly under-playing the gypsy girl, Esmeralda and Sir Cedric Hardwick as the sexually repressed, murdering Frollo who ruthlessly stamps down on anything he considers to be reformative.

The scene in which Quasimodo rescues Esmeralda - falsely accused of murder - is terrific; the tension builds as the crowd kneels outside Notre Dame where her execution is due to take place - and then as Quasimodo miraculously snatches her to safety there's Newman's tremendous chorus of `Hallelujah' and general rejoicing from the multitude although rather less so from the deeply unpleasant Frollo.

And in the closing sequence as Esmeralda finds happiness, the pitiful Quasimodo beseeches the Notre Dame gargoyle, `Why was I not made of stone, like thee?"

Not a dry eye in the house - well, not in my house, where I'm known to be a serial blubber!

Rush out and buy this timeless DVD - you won't be sorry.
on 27 August 2011
Bought for my brother who has been tryin to find a copy for ages.I watched it to make sure it was ok & it took me back 40yrs when i first saw it.Still a great classic movie so much so that i will be ordering another copy for myself & another for 3 of my friends.Excellent film about power,love & humiliation.Buy it,you wont regret it.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2015
This Blu Ray took about 3 weeks to arrive from Canada, (which is fine). Cardboard packaging not as sturdy as Amazon offerings so the case is a bit battered. I want to confirm what another reviewer has said. This Blu Ray while advertised as A/1 - USA import plays perfectly on a Samsung Region 2 B/2 player Europe only player.
I'll not rehearse the plot ; others have done a good job elsewhere. The print is much sharper that DVD copies I have seen, which can be quite soft in places. Also light and shade are well displayed. Best print yet of this very fine film. The acting is exceptional with Laughton's portrayal of the Hunchback lingering long in the memory.