TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 October 2017
The real star of this series is the costume design. For anyone who enjoys period drama, or vintage fashion, it's a treat to be absorbed in stunning 1920s fashion. The settings too, the glorious old cars and bicycles, so meticulously reproduced, are a delight to see. As a fan of vintage I enjoy this series for its period detail. However, the central characters of Bea and Evie irritate me most of the time. Instead of coming across as hard-working and driven, they seem mostly arrogant and self-absorbed. It's the other characters, especially the seamstresses Madge and Tilly, who give real depth and inspire empathy. There's too much focus on the sisters seeking inspiration for their designs, and not enough of the real, day to day 1920s life of the other characters; it could have been more interesting if we'd seen more of the less privileged way of life of this era. It's an enjoyable series for the glimpse into the 20s, and for the fashions, but the main characters leave me a bit cold.
One person found this helpful
on 21 January 2016
What an absolutely wonderful collection !! Please Read the other reviews there is no point in me repeating what others have said because its all there just waiting for you to buy and enjoy the wonderful story of two sisters running a clothing business, the cast especially the beautiful Stella Gonet and Louise lombard wear the amazing costumes beautifully if i were to drool over clothes and hats these are the ones !! You never know what new creation they will dessed in next including bedtime as well. The story line is excellent including the ups and downs of running a business, the stresses and strains of the workers lives, class distinction ect..Even though it would have finished things of nicely if the ending had its loose ends tied up i wouldn't be put off by the reviews which mention the abrupt ending leaving things a bit in the air, because to me the end pretty much speaks for itself. Hope you enjoy it x
on 9 June 2014
I watched the House of Eliott when it was first on TV and wanted to see it again at my leisure so I bought the box set. It's just as good as I remembered. The clothing is gorgeous, the people involved with it did a brilliant job. There were one or two occasions when the characters annoyed me but I think that's more to do with it being set in the twenties and me living in 2014 rather than anything else.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2012
As well as being the story of two sisters who set up a fashion house and the problems and successes they experience in that capacity together with the ups and downs in their private lives, it is an interesting insight into the changing society of the 1920s. The costumes, music, sets and the political background are excellently portrayed as a backdrop to the interleaving story lines. The only disappointment was that when the third series ended there were some loose ends which I would have expected to have been resolved. I was hoping for another episode at least ...... or even another series!
One person found this helpful
on 26 February 2012
I fell in love with this when Series 1 was shown on UKTV. Beatrice and Evangeline, two middle/upper class London sisters, are left in debt upon the death of their father. The expectation was that they would inherit a huge sum and live freely for the rest of their lives - answering to a financial "chaperone" of sorts as in the 1920's of course women were considered too stupid to take care of their own money. Unfortunately not so. They both have a talent for dressmaking and designing and Series 1-3 features their business, the House of Eliott, as it (and they) pass through trials of a personal nature as well as a financial one. Not going to ruin it for you - it is a fabulous series and you'll love every juicy piece to the very last episode, which leaves the story unfinished as good ol BBC decided to can a wonderful show yet again. I do wonder who the BBC chooses for target ratings families as I think they must all be twerps. So many great shows have gone down the drain for no given reason. Stars Stella Gonet as Beatrice and Louise Lombard as Evie and was released between 1991 and 1994.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2013
A marvellous week of viewing as always the older series are always the best.Its definatly on the same lines as Upstairs Downstairs but set in a top fashion house where there are the rich patrons and the back room seamstresses.One word fabulous ,but I have to say I thought the ending very poor with too many loose ends....why did the producers not make a further series to clarify the ending to better effect.For example poor Tilly,and where did Eadies ambition lead her?
on 15 November 2017
Fabulous to revisit this excellent series. As enjoyable if not more so as when I first watched it when it was shown on TV
on 10 November 2017
I loved this series first time round and am thrilled to have purchased the DVD. Speedy delivery and well packaged - thanks.
on 19 January 2015
Bought this for my better half for Christmas. We started to watch it in the New Year and initially I was not terribly interested as it was about the dress making business but she had remembered the series when it was first shown on TV. After the first episode I was hooked. A rags to riches story with some interesting characters, family scandals, business rivalries, dramatic love affairs etc. I found it more entertaining than most of the current TV output. Be warned, it is 34 episodes long!
on 16 January 2018
Wasn't sure I would like this, but it was such a good buy, I decided to try it. I'm glad I did!! Just saw PBS "The Collection", which I thought was terrific, and "House of Elliot', has similar themes, and outstanding costumes. Thoroughly enjoyed all of it.